IGNORED

62/64 Wedge for hard lies?

Moxley
Note: This thread is 1983 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 hour ago, ChetlovesMer said:

At the risk of sounding silly, I'll chime in.
Have you tried an XE1 wedge?

If you have 25 bucks and an ebay account you can get one. 

I actually bought mine out of the used bargain bin at one of my local courses. The sticker was marked down to 10 bucks, I asked the guy if he'd take 5 to get rid of it. (We settled on 8.) 

Anyway, I have the 65 degree model. In full disclosure I never carry it. Not that it doesn't work. But it simply isn't versatile enough to earn a spot in my bag. I find it pretty much to be a one-trick-pony. I can't open the face or loft or deloft it. (I also didn't like it out of the sand, but that's me.) What I CAN hit with it is about a 40 yard pitch with a reasonable degree of accuracy. Where it excels (for me) is on a shot of 5-15 yards where it needs to go high and land soft. As the commercial says just line up square and swing it. It pops the ball up off almost any lie and it lands soft. 

Again, I don't carry mine, so I'm not sure if that's a ringing endorsement. But it sounds like you may have a spot in the bag for this type of specialty wedge. I'm guessing it won't be very versatile for you either, but it will do that one job well. Plus, I'm pretty sure you can find a used one... Heck, maybe you can buy mine.... Did I say I paid 8 bucks for it? 

Thanks for the suggestion, but as above, I need this for play from hard ground, and the beefy sole on those won't help. It would give me another nice option out of bunkers, but  this is the secondary purpose since I use my 54 from those most often. 

For those of you talking about sliding right under the club,  is this notably different than with a regular 60 degree? If the lie is too flufffy, I'm usually more cautious about playing a lob anyway, but curious as to whether the difference from 60 to 64 (or 62) really changes this dramatically. 

Note: This thread is 1983 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!