fburns

Are Binoculars Legal in Amateur Golf Tournaments?

4 posts / 1210 viewsLast Reply

I don't have the best long distance eye sight. I have a rangefinder with 6x magnification. However, the screen is small and crowded with numbers. Many times on the tee or hitting into the green I would like to get a better visual image of what I am aiming at. My understanding is that unless there is a local rule forbidding binoculars, they are legal in tournament play. I know Ricky Fowler on the Tour used binoculars to try to identify a ball in a tree. If they are indeed legal, can someone point me to a rule or decision where this has been established or where it is forbidden.  I may need it the next time I pull out a huge pair of binoculars on the tee box!

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

3 hours ago, fburns said:

If they are indeed legal, can someone point me to a rule or decision where this has been established or where it is forbidden.  I may need it the next time I pull out a huge pair of binoculars on the tee box!

14-3/3

Eyeglasses and Binoculars

Standard eyeglasses and binoculars that have no range-finder attachments are not artificial devices within the meaning of the term in Rule 14-3. However, see also the Note to Rule 14-3.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

14-3/3 Eyeglasses and Binoculars 

Standard eyeglasses and binoculars that have no range-finder attachments are not artificial devices within the meaning of the term in Rule 14-3.

Edited by Rulesman