IGNORED

Tendency to slice w/no toes on left foot...

WillieT
Note: This thread is 1922 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Okay this may have been covered in the past but figured it may be better to start a new thread. I have a somewhat unique situation in that 2016 I was in a motorcycle wreck that degloved my left foot, i.e. losing all the toes and having to have a split-skin graft from the arch forward.  At that time I was not playing golf so this was not an issue.  In the the past year I have taken up golf as a sport I can do with minimal issues regarding my left foot, as the skin on the grafted areas is super thin and can break down with too much agitation.  Like everyone else, I am working on is a more consistent swing and with that about the slicing.  I know one reason, and probably the main one, is with my weight transferring through the swing from my back foot (right) to the front (left).  Luckily I have found that my swings tend to be better with my left foot rotated outward. If I am chipping around the yard 9 out of 10 swings place the ball where I am aiming.  When I ramp up to about 75% the slices are usually 6 out of 10.  Full swings are typically 1 out of 2 slices.  Note - this is with me using solid foam practice balls in the back yard off the practice pad.  I know there is no such thing as a "magic pill" to cure the slicing, but have any here dealt with this type of issue and can provide insight into how I can more consistently and comfortably work on proper weight transfer.  Appreciate any and all input...

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, WillieT said:

Okay this may have been covered in the past but figured it may be better to start a new thread. I have a somewhat unique situation in that 2016 I was in a motorcycle wreck that degloved my left foot, i.e. losing all the toes and having to have a split-skin graft from the arch forward.  At that time I was not playing golf so this was not an issue.  In the the past year I have taken up golf as a sport I can do with minimal issues regarding my left foot, as the skin on the grafted areas is super thin and can break down with too much agitation.  Like everyone else, I am working on is a more consistent swing and with that about the slicing.  I know one reason, and probably the main one, is with my weight transferring through the swing from my back foot (right) to the front (left).  Luckily I have found that my swings tend to be better with my left foot rotated outward. If I am chipping around the yard 9 out of 10 swings place the ball where I am aiming.  When I ramp up to about 75% the slices are usually 6 out of 10.  Full swings are typically 1 out of 2 slices.  Note - this is with me using solid foam practice balls in the back yard off the practice pad.  I know there is no such thing as a "magic pill" to cure the slicing, but have any here dealt with this type of issue and can provide insight into how I can more consistently and comfortably work on proper weight transfer.  Appreciate any and all input...

No, there isn’t a magic pill. However it’s really difficult to give you a good answer without seeing your swing. There’s a section here called ‘My Swing’ thread where you can post your swing and get excellent free advice! Welcome!

• Thumbs Up 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

14 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

No, there isn’t a magic pill. However it’s really difficult to give you a good answer without seeing your swing. There’s a section here called ‘My Swing’ thread where you can post your swing and get excellent free advice! Welcome!

After posting I "found" the My Swing section and the recommendations of submitting video(s) of a person's swing for evaluation.  I will work on compiling a couple of videos for that purpose.  Many thanks...

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

6 hours ago, WillieT said:

Maybe look into a stack n tilt swing, keeping your weight left throughout the swing?

Sandillls Golfe - Thanks, I will definitely check out this out.  I had not heard of this but from what I have seen (via YouTube) this may be a good way for me to see better consistency in hitting my shots.  

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

22 hours ago, WillieT said:

I know one reason, and probably the main one, is with my weight transferring through the swing from my back foot (right) to the front (left). 

This may not even be the primary reason. Most amateur golfers slice without any physical limitations. Definitely post your swing as a first step. Good, qualified instructors can work with you and maybe even a physical therapist to make the appropriate compensations if needed. Another approach would be to find an instructor in your area that specializes in helping golfers with physical limitations. Good luck and keep us posted!

4 hours ago, chspeed said:

This may not even be the primary reason. Most amateur golfers slice without any physical limitations. Definitely post your swing as a first step. Good, qualified instructors can work with you and maybe even a physical therapist to make the appropriate compensations if needed. Another approach would be to find an instructor in your area that specializes in helping golfers with physical limitations. Good luck and keep us posted!

chspeed - great points about slicing and amateur golfers.  I believe dealing with the left foot issue has made me more than determined to make better shots all the time and not be an excuse.  Next step is to definitely get the video done and posted for evaluation.  In regards to consulting with a PT on appropriate compensations, from time to time I get to speak with a good friend who is a PT by trade.  I may ask them the next time I see them if there is anything they may recommend - exercises, stretches, to do's, not to do's, etc.   

Appreciate all  the input everyone has provided thus far. 

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

(edited)

Took the iPhone out to the backyard today and did some self videos of my swing (from the side and from the rear).  While its not the hi-def that is needed for complete analysis, I did learn something.  I have always wondered why I was either fat or barely sweeping the ground when swinging the irons as I hardly ever create even a small divot "ahead" of the ball - always behind (fat) or a sweep patch at the ball.  I saw the reason on the videos.  I am bottoming out in my swing way early (about mid-body, instead of the left leg) and compensating by flicking my wrists to get the balls to launch.  Hopefully I will get a couple of videos uploaded under the "My Swing" section soon and have you guys validate or correct my assessment.  Also I sense this may be part of the slicing - my flicking my wrists to catch the club up....

Edited by WillieT

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

12 hours ago, WillieT said:

Took the iPhone out to the backyard today and did some self videos of my swing (from the side and from the rear).  While its not the hi-def that is needed for complete analysis, I did learn something.  I have always wondered why I was either fat or barely sweeping the ground when swinging the irons as I hardly ever create even a small divot "ahead" of the ball - always behind (fat) or a sweep patch at the ball.  I saw the reason on the videos.  I am bottoming out in my swing way early (about mid-body, instead of the left leg) and compensating by flicking my wrists to get the balls to launch.  Hopefully I will get a couple of videos uploaded under the "My Swing" section soon and have you guys validate or correct my assessment.  Also I sense this may be part of the slicing - my flicking my wrists to catch the club up....

Flipping is a common problem. But it’s probably your path that’s the issue. You can swing in to out and hit a draw while flipping.  Determine your flight (straight then right or right then more right) then look at the ball flight chart.

You’ll find great info here as well as a ball flight chart.

Edited by Vinsk
  • Thumbs Up 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

VInsk - great info.  I had seen the chart in one of my searches in the past.  Typical ball flights are along the lines of straight to straight-fade, however when I do slice hard its definitely push-fade.  Definitely have lots of homework to do on working on bettering my swing.  

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

1 hour ago, WillieT said:

VInsk - great info.  I had seen the chart in one of my searches in the past.  Typical ball flights are along the lines of straight to straight-fade, however when I do slice hard its definitely push-fade.  Definitely have lots of homework to do on working on bettering my swing.  

I hear ya. Me too. You’ll get great FREE advice on your My Swing thread. I can say I signed up for Evolvr and it’s already helping my swing. No BS there. Personalized instruction, one piece at a time. These guys are good. You can be guaranteed @iacas doesn’t let mumbo-jumbo instructors take part. They know what they’re doing. Cheers.

• Thumbs Up 1

Note: This thread is 1922 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!