Jump to content
Lucking

Anyone With a GBB Epic Heavenwood Who Could Help Me?

12 posts in this topic Last Reply

Recommended Posts

Hey gents and ladies!

I'm seriously considering grapping a GBB Epic Heavenwood. I'm struggling hard with my 3w, and hoping the higher launch angle can help me get some air up there. I don't mind losing some distance compared to a "proper" 3 wood hit (which occurs maybe once every 36 holes for me), but looking for a stable distance which can find fairways.

But the only thing keeping me back, is that i don't know the headweight, and i can't really find it on google. This is that i prefer light heads with stiffer shafts.
So if anyone here has a Epic Heavenwood i'd be foreever grateful if i could get you to weigh it! Either weigh the head alone, but weighing the whole thing together and just write me which shaft and grip is on is just as good.

Thanks alot in advance!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

A broad lineup of lofts is available, ranging from a strong 3+ wood (14°) to the extremely versatile Heavenwood (20.5°). Stock shaft options include Project X HZRDUS, Fujikura Pro, Diamana M+ Green and Rogue MAX

GBB Epic fairway woods are targeted at any golfer seeking an extraordinarily long, accurate and easy-to-launch fairway wood. 

*Comparison of Epic fairway crown (5.8g) vs. XR16 fairway crown (26.5g)

If you’re looking for a lighter weighted crown then the Heavenwood is a good choice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

A broad lineup of lofts is available, ranging from a strong 3+ wood (14°) to the extremely versatile Heavenwood (20.5°). Stock shaft options include Project X HZRDUS, Fujikura Pro, Diamana M+ Green and Rogue MAX

GBB Epic fairway woods are targeted at any golfer seeking an extraordinarily long, accurate and easy-to-launch fairway wood. 

*Comparison of Epic fairway crown (5.8g) vs. XR16 fairway crown (26.5g)

If you’re looking for a lighter weighted crown then the Heavenwood is a good choice.

Thanks - but it still does not say anything about the total weight of the head. I know the movement of the crown weight to the sole makes for an easier launch, but the moved weight still keep the weight total the same. My playing partner has an old cobra steel 3 wood which is alot lighter than my Wilson 3 wood. I can barely get mine airborne as i feel like i can't control the heavy head, whereas i can launch his 215 yards almost every time i borrow it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Lucking said:

Thanks - but it still does not say anything about the total weight of the head. I know the movement of the crown weight to the sole makes for an easier launch, but the moved weight still keep the weight total the same. My playing partner has an old cobra steel 3 wood which is alot lighter than my Wilson 3 wood. I can barely get mine airborne as i feel like i can't control the heavy head, whereas i can launch his 215 yards almost every time i borrow it. 

Are you sure it is significantly lighter or is it just a lighter swing weight? It may be worth while to look up the swing weights, for each club just to check. That information is pretty easy to find.

If you are striking both about the same it could be a shaft issue (low launch vs high launch).

The quickest way to get an answer would probably be to call Callaway (or email them), I'm sure they will tell you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, Lucking said:

Thanks - but it still does not say anything about the total weight of the head. I know the movement of the crown weight to the sole makes for an easier launch, but the moved weight still keep the weight total the same. My playing partner has an old cobra steel 3 wood which is alot lighter than my Wilson 3 wood. I can barely get mine airborne as i feel like i can't control the heavy head, whereas i can launch his 215 yards almost every time i borrow it. 

I assume you’re looking to buy without testing it? I mean, why do you care about numbers if you hit it well? Not being snarky just a perspective. I believe if the carbon material makes the crown considerably less in weight it suffices to say the head will be lighter than what you’re using. Golf is a feel sport so the only way to really know is to actually hit the club and see. Just my opinion of course.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

One counter thought - I couldn't hit a 3W to my satisfaction off the deck so I eventually scrapped it completely and just carry a 5W now.  It's adjustable so I almost have it at a 4W setting.  Off the deck I can hit it just as far, much higher, and more consistently.  I probably lose 5-10 yards off the tee, but that really hasn't been an issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JxQx said:

Are you sure it is significantly lighter or is it just a lighter swing weight? It may be worth while to look up the swing weights, for each club just to check. That information is pretty easy to find.

If you are striking both about the same it could be a shaft issue (low launch vs high launch).

The quickest way to get an answer would probably be to call Callaway (or email them), I'm sure they will tell you.

It is lighter, just measured them. Mine is 355 grams total (head, shaft, grip), and his is 333. 
Haven't been able to find swing weights for either, but mine is a beginner set Wilson HDX 3-wood and his is a 2002 King Cobra SS hypersteel with a 60g "XQ-3" shaft. His shaft is regular and mine is "uniflex", which i suppose is regular. But mine feels way more slinky and uncontrollable. Standard grips on both too.
Picked up a GBB Epic driver for peanuts in mint condition a few days ago, weighed it in vs the wilson driver, 305 grams on the GBB and 338 on the wilson. 

1 hour ago, Vinsk said:

I assume you’re looking to buy without testing it? I mean, why do you care about numbers if you hit it well? Not being snarky just a perspective. I believe if the carbon material makes the crown considerably less in weight it suffices to say the head will be lighter than what you’re using. Golf is a feel sport so the only way to really know is to actually hit the club and see. Just my opinion of course.

I am planning to buy without testing. Never even seen one for sale here in Denmark, neither privately nor in one of the bigger shops. So i don't really have a possibility to try them out.
No offense taken! I'll take any info and insights i can get :-) Worst case scenario is to flip it for a minor loss. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So i just got a reply on the Callaway forum, and a guy has his weighed in at 209 grams. The one i'm looking at has a 65-gram PX shaft, and a regular golf pride grip weighs 50g. Which would total it out at 324 grams, which seems nicely low for me.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Lucking said:

It is lighter, just measured them. Mine is 355 grams total (head, shaft, grip), and his is 333. 
Haven't been able to find swing weights for either, but mine is a beginner set Wilson HDX 3-wood and his is a 2002 King Cobra SS hypersteel with a 60g "XQ-3" shaft. His shaft is regular and mine is "uniflex", which i suppose is regular. But mine feels way more slinky and uncontrollable. Standard grips on both too.
Picked up a GBB Epic driver for peanuts in mint condition a few days ago, weighed it in vs the wilson driver, 305 grams on the GBB and 338 on the wilson. 

Just have to make sure that the lengths, shaft weight, and grip weights are the same/similar if you want it to feel the same. You can have the same overall weight but it will feel different if there is more weight in the grip end or if the club is shorter etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 minutes ago, JxQx said:

Just have to make sure that the lengths, shaft weight, and grip weights are the same/similar if you want it to feel the same. You can have the same overall weight but it will feel different if there is more weight in the grip end or if the club is shorter etc.

Yeah i checked that, only 1/8 inch difference between the 2 drivers. Still a difference but not more than 1-2 grams i guess.
Thanks for the heads up!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Lucking said:

Yeah i checked that, only 1/8 inch difference between the 2 drivers. Still a difference but not more than 1-2 grams i guess.
Thanks for the heads up!

Yeah that isn't much to speak of. I actually had that exact model Cobra fairway wood. Best performing 3 wood I've ever owned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I carry a Heavenwood and love it.  I can't weigh it but I can tell you it has a Project X Hzdrdus shaft, R flex, and it feels light.  Very versatile club I can use from fairway or rough.  On windy days, I choke up just a bit and it long and low under the wind with a good run-out.  It's an easy club to use to hit those "stingers"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • 2018 TST Partners

    PING Golf
    FlightScope Mevo
    More to come…
  • Posts

    • I think this stands true and is most important when making a strategical decision. I imagine at the tour level and maybe elsewhere you may even find yourself considering this from the tee. An example would be a fairway that is designed where the safe side to land your tee shot forces you to be short-sided to the green (tree line).  If it's a severe short-side situation (deep nGr rough and a steep downhill to pin) then you may have to decide if the risky tee shot is worth it to avoid the short-side. Just a thought.
    • First post here. Where are my NYC neighbors? Looking forward to getting many rounds in this year after the smallest hint of spring is around the corner. 
    • Love the idea.....I got a tripod  thing that has 3 little arms to manipulate into my bag. I can instantly see why your product would work much easier as my tripod thing can be hard to setup the same everytime.
    • Opted to practice outside today instead of inside tomorrow. Availability of practice times indoors filling up quickly where I am. Wondering if that's the New Year resolution people, or more people knowing about the practice facility, or something that I just didn't notice last year.
    • My buddy Lou shared earlier today a thing we've talked about the past few weeks re: short-siding yourself on the PGA Tour. The image: In chart form: At first glance this flies a bit in the face of the idea that "being closer is better," but that really only holds if you insist on taking this literally and completely disregarding the shades of grey. We've never said that being buried in a deep bunker 15 yards from the flag is better than having a 60-foot putt (or even a chip from off the green). And clearly, short-siding yourself on the PGA Tour can present some problems. (Though, in a brief aside, you'll note that Tour players average 8.0 feet with 40-50% Green, but don't get below 8.0 feet from 26-30 yards until they have 80%+ Green.) Now… I've previously posted this: The main audience of that article is average golfers playing regular golf courses. Those golf courses, in comparison to the PGA Tour courses: Have lighter rough. Have slower greens. Have softer greens. Dave and I still stand by the previous topic because we feel that short siding yourself is much less dangerous on a typical golf course than it is on the PGA Tour. The greens are softer and slower and the rough is shorter. But, ultimately, this topic should serve as a reminder that not all situations are created equal. A 12-yard chip shot from rough with 6 yards to the green and another 6 to the pin (50%) might be easier, the same, or more difficult than another shot - including a long putt - from somewhere else. It depends on the unique and specific circumstances. Hell, sometimes a short-sided miss will be a 15-foot putt from the fringe. Judge the situations uniquely. Use the Shades of Grey, which on approach shots and greenside shots includes all of the factors that affect your next shot. And, should you get out on Tour, give this stuff even more consideration, because the chart is pretty definitive. 🙂
  • TST Blog Entries

  • Blog Entries

  • Today's Birthdays

    1. AdTravi
      AdTravi
      (42 years old)
    2. cutchemist42
      cutchemist42
      (33 years old)
    3. donjp6
      donjp6
      (35 years old)
    4. gogreen03
      gogreen03
      (22 years old)
    5. rudder97
      rudder97
      (44 years old)

×

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...