IGNORED

Why Golf Shoes Don't Last

SteveH
Note: This thread is 1923 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On one of my trips to a golf store over the holidays, I spotted a deal on a pair of shoes. Tried them, seemed like a good fit so bought them ready for the summer.  I had replaced my rain boots earlier this winter and my wife made some innocent comment that she thought I said I had gotten new shoes and that they didn't last very long.  I never really thought about it before and I realized that my shoes used to last a lot longer, as I rode in a cart.  Then I did a quick calculation of my approximate distance walked this past 12 months and it's over 1000 miles !!!   Wow, I was very surprised

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I own a pair of golf shoes that have lasted me several years. Probably because I have hardly worn them during those several years. I keep them in my bag just in case I play a course that requires golf shoes. That, or I play in bad weather that would be cause for extremely slippery turf conditions.

For the past several years I have worn a very comfortable walking/hiking, 3/4 top, shoes. They have traction soles, but do not damage the greens. No spike marks, or dents from these shoes. They last me about 8-10 months on average

A big plus for me is I don't have to be changing shoes to golf. One less thing to be bothered with when arriving, or leaving the course.

Couple of other things. First, since I play most of my rounds in the warmer, dryer southwest, severe slipping is not an issue. 

Second, due to some sergurical, repaird  physical issues, a minor bit of slippage in my feet during my swing is not a bad thing. 

Another observation I have noticed is a big majority of the golfers I see on the course, are wearing some type of tennis shoe, not really designed for golf. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

1 hour ago, SteveH said:

Then I did a quick calculation of my approximate distance walked this past 12 months and it's over 1000 miles !!!   Wow, I was very surprised

How many rounds do you believe this covered?    That's great you are getting in that much exercise.   

I use a shoe tree in all of my golf shoes to help extend their life.   I don't know if it does but it helps me believe it.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

A 6,500 yard course is 3.7 miles just walking tee to green up the middle of the fairway.  Unless one is playing a particularly stretched out course with a lot of distance from green to next tee, maybe one walks 5 to 6 miles.  At 6 miles a round, one needs to walk 167 rounds, certainly achievable.  Walking 150+ rounds in a year is impressive.

Brian Kuehn

2 hours ago, dennyjones said:

How many rounds do you believe this covered?    That's great you are getting in that much exercise.   

I use a shoe tree in all of my golf shoes to help extend their life.   I don't know if it does but it helps me believe it.

I posted 150 rounds last year.  Then there are many other days that I went out practicing, plus all the practice sessions, several scrambles etc that never get recorded. I use an average of 9.5km or 5.9 miles per round. Lots of walking from the parking area to the practice area etc that doesn't get figured in too. 

• Like 1

• iacas changed the title to Why Golf Shoes Don't Last
Note: This thread is 1923 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!