IGNORED

High COR Irons

tinker
Note: This thread is 1905 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• iacas changed the title to High COR Irons
  • Administrator

High COR will affect everything within reason. The problem will be a lack of distance control… so be careful, IMO.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just can’t imagine a 70 mph iron swing flexing a iron face hitting a soft ball enough to matter. I’m a forged blade player and I would think a generous muscle back would do more for distance at lower speeds

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, tinker said:

Just can’t imagine a 70 mph iron swing flexing a iron face hitting a soft ball enough to matter. I’m a forged blade player and I would think a generous muscle back would do more for distance at lower speeds

CoR flexes at just about any normal speed. If CoR faces required high swing speeds… they wouldn't be doing their job. They're designed for slower swing speed players.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

This is a huge misconception about COR and face flexing. It is not a trampoline that bounces the ball off the face. It is actually true that the slower swing speed will benefit less from the COR.

What face flexing is doing is minimizing the deformation of the golf ball. The more the ball compresses (or deforms), the more energy is lost in the process. Based on the mass of the golf ball (46g) versus the club head, say 200g for a driver, this deformation has a larger impact on the ball than the club. I have read 80% to 20% ball to head. What flexible faces do is allow the head to deform more at impact and therefore allow the ball to deform less. This is what results in faster ball speeds.

So the slower the swing speed, the less the ball compresses in the first place compared to a faster swing and the less impact COR has.

I am not sure how the use of a low compression ball would work in this senerio. Might it have a greater COR influence?

Note: This thread is 1905 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!