IGNORED

tour player backspin

obsessedgolfer
Note: This thread is 5897 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

i was watching the pga tour and really started wondering on how the tour players get thet type of spin where the ball lands stops for a halfsecond and the rolls quicley back a foot. when i get spin the ball lands and just hops back wards how do tour players do this

Burner 10.5* driver
Burner 3 wood GD Pershing Shaft
Burner 5 wood GD Pershing Shaft
Tour Burner irons
Rac black 52* Rac satin 60* Red x 3 pro v1

i was watching the pga tour and really started wondering on how the tour players get thet type of spin where the ball lands stops for a halfsecond and the rolls quicley back a foot. when i get spin the ball lands and just hops back wards how do tour players do this

i think it has something to do with trajectory aswell as spin rate.

Driver: Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 10.5* (UST Proforce v2 77g X Flex) 3 Wood: Callaway Diablo 15* (UST Proforce v2 86g S Flex). 2 Hybrid: Adams A4 Tech 17* (UST Proforce v2 105g S Flex). 3 and 4 Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro 20* and 23* (UST Proforce v2 105g S Flex)
Irons: Tour Edge Exotics...

There are many factors that are causing this type of spin for the tour players. Here are some of them:

-The grass: The ball doesn't react the same on all grasses. For example I play on bentgrass and I more often get the hopping spin like you described as opposed to the skidding and "pulling the string".

-Better sontact: This is an obvious one, tour players make better contact, thus being able to create more spin.

-The trajectory: Many players I was watching during the Match Play hit low wedges in in order to keep some spin off. Lee Trevino hit a shot called the flaming wedge, a low penetrating shot with a lot of spin that often skidded before rolling backward.

Monster Tour 10.5* w/ Redboard 63
FP400f 14.5* w/ GD YSQ
Idea Pro 18* w/ VS Proto 80s
MP FLi-Hi 21 w/ S300
CG1 BP w/ PX 6.0 SM 54.11 SM 60.08 Sophia 33"

i think it has something to do with trajectory aswell as spin rate.

Clubhead speed, a descending blow and they compress the ball. Typical tour player's swing bottoms out 4 inches AFTER impact.

Driver- Geek Dot Com This! 12 degree Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 Stiff
Adams Tour Issue 4350 Dual Can Matrix Ozik Xcon 5

Hybrids- Srixon 18 deg
Srixon 21 deg Irons- Tourstage Z101 3-PW w/Nippon NS Pro 950 GH - Stiff Srixon i701 4-PW w/ Nippon NS Pro 950 GH-Stiff MacGregor...

I remember reading an article in Golf Digest (I think) and Leadbetter was explaining how to do what you are talking about. He compared it to striking a match. You take a shorter backswing but accelerate quickly through and finish short. Phil Mickelson's club head speed on a shot like this is like 90 mph. (Don't quote me here on the exact number but just giving you an idea)
I tried it in my backyard after reading that and it worked. I didnt have any precision or real control but I was definitely able to bring the ball back well enough to get an idea of how it works. I intend on fine tuning this technique in the spring!
"When I play with him, he talks to me on every green. He turns to me and says, 'You're away.' "
-Jimmy Demaret referring to Ben Hogan

In The Bag:
Driver: Cleveland HiBore XL (10.5 -conforming)3 Wood: MacGregor V-FOIL5 Wood: Mizuno MP-001Irons: Ben Hogan BH-5 (4-PW)Wedges:52 - Nike SV Tour56 - Cleve...

I was watching the matchplay yesterday with Phil and Appleby. Appleby hit a nice controlled wedge from the fairway and the ball just sat. Phil, from the rough, hits a wedge and spins it eight feet. Sure Phil had a more aggressive action, but when you hit shots like this from the rough there is more than technique going on. In his case it would be the "mack daddy" grooves and a quality ball.

These super grooves are part of a much larger debate because when someone can get that kind of bite being in the rough it is definitely equipment related. The wedges of the past with traditional V-grooves could not perform in this manner therefore giving a big advantage to the "grip it and rip it" mentality because it takes the premium off hitting the fairway.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

• 2 weeks later...
I would agree with just about everything that has been said, as well as the fack that they use brand new wedges with razor sharp grooves, and expensive surlyn balls that help as well.

Driver: Sasquatch Tour 9.5 w/ Aldila NV Stiff
Fw: Sasquatch 4wd Reg.
3 Iron: Burner Stiff
4-Pw: Ta5 Reg.
Sand Wedge: Reg. 588 56Lob Wedge: 588 DSG 60Putter: Studio Stainless NewportBall: Pro-V1 (When I can afford them)Home Course: Sunridge Canyon in Fountain Hills, AZ

its all about downforce on the ball. i have 3-4 year old wedges (upgrading soon) and i can still bring it back a little bit. plus, back spin isnt exactly the best thing for your game. i'd rather have a drop and stop action than a back spin action.
What's In My Bag?

Driver: R9 460 TP 9.5* w/ Motore F1 75g S
Wood:Exotics XCG-V 16.5*
Hybrids: 3DX Ironwood 3 and 4Irons:695.MBWedges:Stripped Spin Milled Custom C Grind (52*,56*,60*)Putter: Black Series i #9 32" w/ white Iomic gripBall:ProV1Shoes: Foot Joy DryJoysGrips: Lamkin Crossline...

I think theball has a lot to do with it.I know the Bridgestone B330 and 330S both spin like hell for me.Also the Cally 56 I can back up quite a bit.On the other side I can not spin back the Pro v as much.

In my new FT carry bag
FT-9 Tour nuetral 9.5
FT-15 degree 3 wood
Fussion Hybrids #2&4
Fussion irons with Grapholoy Pro launch Red shafts56&60 Cally X forged wedges with Red shaftsSG9 putterCally I ballBushnell Meadealist range finder

Three things; 1) wedges are sharper, 2) balls are softer 3) they actually hit the ball on the club face where you are supposed to. Of these three, you can; 1) find a tour level wedge, 2) buy a softer ball (Nike Platinum is the softest), 3) take lessons, and more lessons and then even more lessons!

Three things; 1) wedges are sharper, 2) balls are softer 3) they actually hit the ball on the club face where you are supposed to. Of these three, you can; 1) find a tour level wedge, 2) buy a softer ball (Nike Platinum is the softest), 3) take lessons, and more lessons and then even more lessons!

I totally agree.

That is why they are tour players and we aren't. Their consistancy on and around the green is what is filling their wallets. Anyone can hit the ball further than most pro's > its the consistancy that separates.................
Driver: Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 10.5* (UST Proforce v2 77g X Flex) 3 Wood: Callaway Diablo 15* (UST Proforce v2 86g S Flex). 2 Hybrid: Adams A4 Tech 17* (UST Proforce v2 105g S Flex). 3 and 4 Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro 20* and 23* (UST Proforce v2 105g S Flex)
Irons: Tour Edge Exotics...

And also the fast, firm greens make it bounce and skid before biting.
Driver Titleist 905R 9.5* (Stiff Prolaunch Blue 65g)
Hybrid: PT 585.H 17 * (Stiff titleist 75g shaft)
Irons: 695.cb 3-9 ( Dynamic Gold S300)
Wedges: 735.CM 47* PW, Vokey 200 series 50.08 Oil Can Vokey Spin Milled 54.10 Tour chrome, Vokey Spin Milled 58.08 Oil canPutter: Wilson Staff Kirk Kurrie #1[CO.....

Note: This thread is 5897 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!