IGNORED

The wedge?

Note: This thread is 5491 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I was just wondering what the diffrence is between the pitching wedge, sand wedge, and the approach wedge.

Thank You

In my callaway.gif Warbird Bag XXT Stand Bag:

callaway.gif Driver Diablo 9*
callaway.gif Hybrid 3H Diablo 21*
mizuno.gif MP-33's 3-pwcallaway.gifWedge 60* X-Forgedcallaway.gif Putter Ruthfords seriestitleist.gif Nxt Tour Ball

The lofts are different.

A pitching wedge is generally in the 45-48 degree loft range, a sand wedge around 54-56, and I think an approach wedge is another name for a gap wedge so that would be around 50-52 degrees.

Driver: Nike VRS Covert 

3 Wood: Taylormade Rocketballz

Hybrid: Nike Sumo 18*

Irons: Titleist AP1 4-PW

Wedges: Cleveland CG12 60* 56* & 52* 

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 1.5

The primary difference is loft. Today's pitching wedges typically has about 47*-52* of loft, an approach (or gap) wedge has 52*-54*, a sand wedge is 54-58* and a lob wedge is >58*.

Sand wedges typically have more bounce on the sole of the club to encourange the club to skip through the sand rather than digging in.

O i see that makes sense thank you

In my callaway.gif Warbird Bag XXT Stand Bag:

callaway.gif Driver Diablo 9*
callaway.gif Hybrid 3H Diablo 21*
mizuno.gif MP-33's 3-pwcallaway.gifWedge 60* X-Forgedcallaway.gif Putter Ruthfords seriestitleist.gif Nxt Tour Ball

Besides loft, the bounce varies. Sand wedges generally have more bounce (10*-14*) and a larger flange (the lower back of a wedge). It's designed to get through the sand easily. Gap or approach wedges and pitching wedges usually have about 5*-7* of bounce because they do not need much bounce. Lob wedges have anywhere from 4*-10* (10* is high for a lob wedge) of bounce. Basically the less bounce there is, the more you can open the face up.

In my Ogio Ozone Bag:
TM Superquad 9.5* UST Proforce 77g Stiff
15* Sonartec SS-2.5 (Pershing stiff)
19* TM Burner (stock stiff)
4-U - PING i10 White dot, +1.25 inches, ZZ65 stiff shafts55*/11* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)60*/12* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)Ping i10 1/2 MoonTitleist ProV1

Note: This thread is 5491 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!