IGNORED

Callus on left hand

Note: This thread is 5426 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Over the last couple of months I've developed callus on the middle, ring and little finger and just above my palm on my left hand, just where the grip sits. I treat it with E45 cream, but after 5 or 6 holes the pain is noticeable and can distract from the game. Is this comman or is it down to an incorrect grip? What is the best way to treat it?

Funny thing how you first meet the woman that you marry. I first met the wife in a tunnel of love. She was digging it - Les Dawson

R7 TP 3i - 9i

R7 TP Superquad 9.5
R7 TP 3w
R7 TP's Rossa Daytona 1 TP Black R7 Stand-bag

I think your best bet is to assess your grip. The most likely cause for the callus is the rubbing of the grip on your palm. This not only causes discomfort, but more importantly affects your golf game. Movement of the club in your grip will most likely cause you to lose your club head position in the swing at some point. This would result in your club head to be out of postion through the point of impact. You will be surprised how you game (and hand comfort) will improve with a sound grip. A good way to determine if you have club movement in your grip is to look at your glove (if you wear one). The club will leave sweeping wear marks on the glove.

- John

Whats in my Tour Cart II bag:

Driver - 09' Speedline 9.5°
3W - 09' Launcher
2i Hybrid - 10' Launcher DST3i Hybrid - 09' Launcher with ACCRA AC85 M4Irons (4-PW) - 10' AP2 with Dynamic Gold S300GW - 10' 54° CG15LW - 10' 60° CG15Putter - Method 001

I have callouses on my right hand on my ring finger between the palm and first joint and on my index finger between the first and second joints. I don't have any on the left hand, though. I'm really not sure on treatment. Mine don't hurt so I just leave them alone.

It has to be a bad grip. I play almost everyday, year round, and hit tons of practice balls, and wear a glove -- and I've played for decades. There are no calluses on my left hand, other than thicker skin on my finger tips near the nails from a lifetime of playing classical guitar. Nothing from golf. You have to be regripping or allowing the grip to move someway.

I'm not claiming anything special, only the result of years and years of being almost fanatical about a proper grip. At the risk of sounding like a broken record -- read Hogan's Five Fundamentals. You will be glad you did. BTW, there is a slight thickening of the skin on the right side of the right thumb and the left side of the right pointing finger -- very slight.

As a kid, before learning to grip properly and with less pressure, I would practice until calluses would tear and my hands would actually bleed. Then, a guy who took lessons from Hogan saw my grip and hands and changed my grip... no more problems.

RC

I've had calluses on my left and right hands since I started playing golf 7 years ago. Its not really all that noticeable now. I think the best thing to do is put ice on it for about a minute, rub your hands together for a second, and then put ice on it for another minute, then rub your hands together some more. It numbs it up, and gives some friction to get used to the feel. If that doesn't help, run them under some cold water for a while, and then change it quick to warm water. They shouldn't bother you all that much after this. Otherwise, just get used to them; Its a sign of your hard work.

On the other hand, I might have a bad grip also. Oh well, I play with it just fine. Good luck!

~RHPM

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Diablo 9º
2 Hybrid: Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood
Irons: Nike Slingshot OSS 6-3 iron
          Taylormade Tour Preferred PW-7 iron
Wedges: Cleveland CG14 50º, 54º
              Taylormade RAC 58º
Putter: Ping Darby 32" shaft

I've just googled 'golf grip' and one of the clearest videos is here , if you guys wouldn't mind having a quick look. I always hold my club in the distance position and the callus are either side of the grip. I've just tried gripping with the grip further into my palm, in the control postion and it does feel better.

Funny thing how you first meet the woman that you marry. I first met the wife in a tunnel of love. She was digging it - Les Dawson

R7 TP 3i - 9i

R7 TP Superquad 9.5
R7 TP 3w

i have 3 callouses on my left hand, and I check my grip daily, using Hogan's Fundamentals as a guide. I believe it has to do with the shape and size of your hand too.

They don't hurt though. They're just kinda, there. you can bring them down with a nial file, or just cut them off like I do if they get too big,which is pretty rare.
In The Bag

Titleist 905T 9.5°
Nike Sumo2 15°
Nike Sumo2 19°Nike Forged Irons - 3-PW Titleist Bob Vokey Spin Milled 56°10°Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport 2

Just a word of the wise, if you get a blister (on your palms, thumb, finger etc), pop it and soak in pickle juice for about 10 minutes...then get a small bowl of rice and start squeezing your hand in it, for whatever reason it worked for me when i pitched in college...had to do it every spring in florida to keep my finger from fallin off...it makes it tough for some reason and heals quicker, i'd do it twice a day for 3 days and by then, it's good to go and to be honest the skins a bit tougher but no more blister(s)

In my Titleist 2014 9.5" Staff bag:

Cobra Bio+ 9* Matrix White Tie X  - Taylormade SLDR 15* ATTAS 80X - Titleist 910H 19* ATTAS 100X - Taylormade '13 TP MC 4-PW PX 6.5 - Vokey TVD M 50* DG TI X100 - Vokey SM4 55 / Vokey SM5 60* DG TI S400 - Piretti Potenza II 365g

I went out and played a round today and it feels a little better, I think I'm stiff from playing over the last couple of days, I don't seem to be able to turn today!

R7 TP 3i - 9i

R7 TP Superquad 9.5
R7 TP 3w

I have exactly what you are describing as well. I wear a glove, and still get calluses. I have noticed this being a bigger issue since I switched to new grips, and especially since i went to a cord grip on my driver. I don't think i'm re-gripping, but i know my grip pressure can be a bit firm. And I'm positive I have at least a decent grip, so I would not assume its your grip that's the culprit.

If you have a few days where you wont be playing, remove the calluses, and see if that helps you. A lot of times if they build up too much, the problem sort of feeds on itself, and gets painful.
Bag: Flight SS
Driver: 10.5* r5 draw with Pro Launch blue 65 Stiff
Irons: CCi Forged 3i-pw
Wedges: 56* CG12 black pearl and 60* low bounce RTG 900
Putter: i-Series Anser 35"Ball: e5+Tee: Zero FrictionGlove: FootJoy WeatherSofRangefinder: MedalistShoes: Sp-6 II, Adidas 360Scores this year:92 91...

Problem solved! I was dropping my putter off for regripping and got chatting to the pro and expalined about the callus and drop-off in play. I showed him my original grip and he said it was fine - the problem is grip pressure, it appears I have a death-hold on the club! He demonstrated how much pressure I should be using, about 5 out of 10. I played a round first thing this morning and went back to my old grip and hit some perfect shots, including a spot-on 4 iron drive and 9 iron pitch. So that's the answer, relax your grip pressure.

R7 TP 3i - 9i

R7 TP Superquad 9.5
R7 TP 3w

Note: This thread is 5426 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!