IGNORED

New Bag-Short game first

Note: This thread is 5388 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I want to start upgrading my starter set with new clubs and bag over the next six months. I have decided to start with my short game first and work back up to my driver. I want to upgrade to something decent but I need to watch my budget. I am getting an award though my work in the next month that will be a 200-300 dollar gift certificate to a store of my choice. I am planning on a Dick's sports, Golf Galaxy or one of the local golf stores. My plan is to use this money (and a hundred or so of my own) for a new putter and some new wedges.

The new putter I have pretty much picked out. It's between a Yes Tracy, Yes Victoria, or a Oddessy Two ball. I am struggling with my wedges though. Right know I have just a P wedge that is I think around 45-46 deg and a sand wedge at 56 deg. I am not worried about the P wedge as I will replace that with my future new iron set but what about other Wedges? What I am thinking about is a good 56-58 deg Sand wedge with 10-12deg of Bounce then get a 52deg Gap wedge with 6-8 deg bounce. Does this sound like a good plan? Should I add a 60 deg wedge in there? What are a couple of Wedge brands I should be looking at? Should I consider one of the Wedge sets like the Tom Watson that comes with all three wedges 52, 56, 60?

Mark

My pathetic bag that will hopefully be updated by next Spring.
5 Wood: Palm Springs
3-P Irons: Palm Springs
56deg Sand Wedge: Upswing Golf
58/10 Lob Wedge: Nike Victory Red Putter: Odyssey two ball putter srt Ball: Top Flight D2 Feel

I want to start upgrading my starter set with new clubs and bag over the next six months. I have decided to start with my short game first and work back up to my driver. I want to upgrade to something decent but I need to watch my budget. I am getting an award though my work in the next month that will be a 200-300 dollar gift certificate to a store of my choice. I am planning on a Dick's sports, Golf Galaxy or one of the local golf stores. My plan is to use this money (and a hundred or so of my own) for a new putter and some new wedges.

If being thrifty is high on the list, I like the Tom Watson trio. I used a set for two years till I donated them to a student that wanted to start golfing at high school. Otherwise I'd probably still have them (assuming they weren't worn out).

"You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred." Woody Allen
My regular pasture.

I would go with the Clevelands. You can get there CG10 or CG11 for under 100 bucks each. Id also get the 2ball, but I also happen to play all of those same exact clubs so I might be bias.

In my Sun Mountain MPB bag:
Burner 07 9.5w/ Prolaunch Red
SZ Fairway Woods 4+ and 7
Rescue TP 3 hybrid
200 series irons 4-pwcg11 wedges 52*,56*,60*White Hot 2-BallDT RollHome Course: www.bodegaharbourgolf.com/

Get some Nike SV Tours if you can find them. They are cheap and a good wedge

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Nothing wrong with older models like the CG10 or the 2ball - just make sure, if you get the gift certificate for Dicks e.g., that they still sell these clubs - to reduced prices of course - else your budget will be a bit small.

I wanted to get some 2008 Vokeys in spring and my pro shop told me they only sell whats in stock (leftover) but wont/cant order different models i might like.

Burner 9°
FW Burner 15°
Burner Rescue 19°
MP67 4-PW
CG10 50° CG12 DSG 54° & 60°

Haven't hit the Watson wedges but Rock bottom did have all three for under $100.

Driver.... Nickent DX Evolver V2 65 stiff /07 Burner YS6+ stiff .
4 wood..... Nickent 4DX
Hybrids.....Tour Edge Geomax 22* 25* 28*
Irons.....TM R7 6-P + AW,SW,LW
Putter.....Odyssey White Hot XG 2 BallBag.......Callaway ORG 14 A.L.I.C.E. Ball........Bridgestone e6 / Srixon Soft Feel...

Haven't hit the Watson wedges but Rock bottom did have all three for under $100.

Disappeared from the Rock (unusual) but showed up at

TGW for those interested.

"You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred." Woody Allen
My regular pasture.

if you are going to pump in a little of your own money, I suggest maybe picking up a set of the Watson wedges (or possibly something from the Maltby line) you could probably get the putter, wedges and maybe even a previous model year driver.

Honestly, its all about the what you want.

In my bag:

some golf clubs

a few golf balls

a bag of tee's some already broken the rest soon to be

a snickers wrapper (if you have seen me play, you would know you are not going anywhere for a while)

and an empty bottle of water

Can you get the award as a Visa gift card? Your money will go A LOT further if you aren't paying retail. You can find clubs on websites and eBay for much cheaper. And as for putter, I suggest getting an used putter. You can get 200+ dollar putters which are 9+/10 in condition for less than half of that price.
TM R7 SuperQuad - 9.5* Stiff || TM V-Steel 15/18* Stiff || Mizuno MP-52 3-PW PX5.5 || Titleist Vokey OC 52/58* || Odyssey White Hot #1

Note: This thread is 5388 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!