IGNORED

Problem Keeping My Arm Straight on Takeaway

Par
Note: This thread is 5343 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So I recently finished taking a beginning golf course from my community college, to pick up a few things since I just started and on the final day my instructor told me that on my take-away my left arm was too close to my chest. I think I do this keep my arm straight against a surface. Anyways, he told me to bring my arm out farther, so that there is some space.

Can someone recommend a drill to help me practice this?

To keep my left arm somewhat straight is get the club up to the 9 o'clock position in the backswing with the left arm and the wrists cocked. Your left arm should appear almost parallel to the target line (the line your ball is on). The butt-end of your club should also be facing the target line. From the down-the-line view your club should appear at the same angle as address once you have your left arm parallel.

This position will help prevent you from moving the club too far on the inside during the takeaway. You can also make swings from this position to work on solid ball contact (look up the 9 to 3 drill on the internet for examples).

To get to the top of the backswing, once at parallel just rotate your shoulders while maintaining that "L" shape formed by your left arm, wrists and the club shaft. Ensure your right arm folds on the way up to support the extended left arm.

2011 Goals:
* Improve club-head speed to 90 mph with the driver
* Ensure increased speed does not compromise accuracy
* Prevent overextending on the back-swing (left-arm is bending too much at the top)
* Relax arms initially at address ( too tense)* Play more full rounds (failed from 2010)

Faced with the problem that my clubhead went sideways to soon in the takeaway (compare it to swinging a baseball bat, but then less extreme), my pro told me to focus on first bringing the clubhead backwards, on the same line that goes through your target and the ball.

Only when you have brought the clubhead as far back as possible without turning your shoulders (as squaddie says, your left arm will be in 9 o'clock position), you should start making your shoulder turn (and thus bringing your left shoulder backwards). (Edit : you'll have to cock your wrists somewhere along, but I'm not a good enough player (yet) to give advice/suggestions/ideas on this)

First times, it feels a bit unnatural, cause the natural reflex is to bring the clubhead up and behind your head as quickly as possible. Practice a 9-to-3 or even 9-to-12 swing, you'll probably be amazed by the straight trajectory and distance you already get without bringing your clubhead up any further.

Feel the clubhead, and bring it back, then up.

It has also helped me creating a slower tempo on my takeaway and backswing, because the two are now very distinct phases (my mantra is "back.... up... let go...").

In my ⬠49.95 bag :

Driver : Euhm... not there yet, but hopefully getting closer
Woods : Superfast Burner 3 Wood 15°
i4-PW : CG GoldGW : 252.08SW : CG12 56°Putter : Rossa Suzuka 35"Balls : Gold FX Long

Well, Laugh at me if you want to, but watching the pros swing vision videos on you tube...does seem to help.
Esp the low and flat, arms and shoulders together take-away.

the power in the hips downswing thing.... a lot more work..if ever!

Note: This thread is 5343 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!