Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sep900

Any disadvange if you choke down on your club?

12 posts in this topic

Does anyone know if there is a disadvantage or bad points about choking down 1/2 an inch on a regular iron shot?

I know that at my height, I need to have my irons cut 1/2 an inch. However, I do not wish to do so. I was wondering if there is a bad side to playing by choking down 1/2 an inch.

Thanks in advance for your advice/advices.

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

Does anyone know if there is a disadvantage or bad points about choking down 1/2 an inch on a regular iron shot?

as far as i know the only disadvantage is possibly losing some distance. of course, you could always just adjust to longer clubs. ive been using mens clubs since i was only about 5'4" and now i'm still only 5'8". if you're only going to choke down 1/2" it wouldnt be too much harder to just use the full length of the club. assuming your male, you may consider buying a set of womens clubs?

So if you lose distance by choking down, don't you lose the same amount of distance if you cut the club by 1/2 an inch?

So if you lose distance by choking down, don't you lose the same amount of distance if you cut the club by 1/2 an inch?

i'm basing my statement off of the fact that the longer the club is the more distance you'll get out of it. so i guess choking down and getting it cut would be the same.

wait for other opinions. there are much more knowlegable people on this forum. :]

trust me choking down will decrease a very little amount of distance if none at all... not a big deal.. most people choke downa little anyway.. gripping it at the way end will just make u lose control of the club.

trust me choking down will decrease a very little amount of distance if none at all... not a big deal.. most people choke downa little anyway.. gripping it at the way end will just make u lose control of the club.

Agreed. Any loss of distance will be made up for by better contact. It should be a net 0 result, or very close to it.

You're not supposed to grip the very end of the club, anyway, so just grip down. The grip will be a TEENY bit thinner the further you go down is about all the difference you may notice.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

i dont know what the rest of you consider choking down but generally when i grip the club my left hand is maybe 1/8" lower than the butt of the club and to me thats normal.

i dont know what the rest of you consider choking down but generally when i grip the club my left hand is maybe 1/8" lower than the butt of the club and to me thats normal.

1/8" isn't really gripping down, no. That's about where you grip a club. Maybe even a little more.

I choke down on most of my clubs depending on the shot I need to hit, the distance I want to hit it, etc. I find it easier to control the distance on my wedges if I choke down. I don't believe I can use the amount I grip down as a way to adjust the distance I hit it, but I can control the size of the swing much easier.

I never feel the end of the club in my hand...and I don't want to. I don't choke up very often, but my normal grip doesn't touch the end. I think choking up is just fine, and like many have said here, shouldn't make too much of a difference when it comes to distance.

You lose approx 5 yards when you cut 1/2 inch.

You lose approx 5 yards when you cut 1/2 inch.

I don't quite buy that. That's 10 yards an inch. Off a driver, they say 1 MPH in swing speed is about 2.5 yards of carry (IIRC), so off a mid-iron (say, a 6-iron) that's probably closer to half: 1 MPH = 1.25 yards of carry. A half inch = 4 MPH slower clubhead speed? That's the part I don't quite buy.

100 MPH driver is about, what, an 80 MPH 5-iron? That's 20 MPH over (45" - 38") 7 inches... about 3 MPH per inch. So by this math (which I admit is far from scientific), it seems to me that each inch = about 3 MPH, and if 1 MPH is 1.25 yards... that's about 3-4 yards shorter per inch, not 10. But like I said, far from scientific. I'd believe 5 yards for an inch, no problem.