IGNORED

The worst kind of sandbagger

chriskzoo
Note: This thread is 5046 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Playing in a tournament yesterday (team event) and was curious when I saw a guy who was a 2.8 index throw a 68 on the board (-4, net 65). Admittedly I also played a great round, for me, shooting a 76 as a 9.4 index, but I also have a 73 amongst the scores figured in my handicap as well as a few high 70's and the rest in the low 80's, so a 76 is within the reasonable realm of possibility.

So I lookup that guys handicap history and find what I pasted below - previous best score was a 73 (I think a 73 and two 74s over the past 6 years from what I looked at) and all of a sudden he shoots 4-under for his best round ever?

Please.

07/05/10 81 73.4 132 6.5 BACK/BLUE H
06/25/10 80 73.0 142 5.6 KATKE COUSINS GRIZZL... A I
06/05/10 81 73.4 132 6.5 BACK/BLUE HT
05/30/10 74* 71.9 128 1.9 MIDDLE/WHITE HTI
05/29/10 81 71.9 128 8.0 MIDDLE/WHITE HT
05/25/10 82 71.5 133 8.9 CHAMPIONSHIP/BLACK @... ATI
05/24/10 79* 73.2 131 5.0 BACK/BLUE @ PLUM HOL... ATI
05/15/10 76* 73.4 132 2.2 BACK/BLUE H
05/14/10 83 71.5 133 9.8 CHAMPIONSHIP/BLACK @... A
04/06/10 77* 72.5 126 4.0 MUSTANG BACK @ LELY ... A
10/10/09 78 71.9 128 5.4 MIDDLE/WHITE HT
09/20/09 81 69.7 129 9.9 WALNUT CREEK CC AT
09/08/09 76 70.5 125 5.0 EDGEWOOD CC AT
09/07/09 78* 73.4 132 3.9 BACK/BLUE H
09/06/09 75* 73.4 132 1.4 BACK/BLUE HT
08/30/09 77* 73.4 132 3.1 BACK/BLUE HT
08/30/09 75* 73.4 132 1.4 BACK/BLUE HT
08/29/09 78* 73.4 132 3.9 BACK/BLUE HT
08/29/09 77* 73.4 132 3.1 BACK/BLUE HT

Titleist 910D3 8.5* Aldila RIP
Titleist 910F 13.5* Diamana Kai'li
Nickent 4DX 20* and 24*
Tour Preferred 5-PW
52.08, 56.14, 60.04 Titleist Vokey

Odyssey Metal-X #9 Putter

Pro V1x

Playing in a tournament yesterday (team event) and was curious when I saw a guy who was a 2.8 index throw a 68 on the board (-4, net 65). Admittedly I also played a great round, for me, shooting a 76 as a 9.4 index, but I also have a 73 amongst the scores figured in my handicap as well as a few high 70's and the rest in the low 80's, so a 76 is within the reasonable realm of possibility.

A sandbagging 2.8 index huh? You sound kind of bitter.

A sandbagging 2.8 index huh? You sound kind of bitter.

Nah, I just like to see guys having sniffed the scores they post at some point in the past.

Nickent 4DX 20* and 24*
Tour Preferred 5-PW

Pro V1x

I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility. Just depends on the course, how long it is, what tees are played, conditions, etc. I've been playing the same few courses the last five years or so and my best round for the longest time was a 70. Out of no where two years ago I shoot a 65... easily could have been a 62. So, while it may be unlikely someone shoots a low score, it is possible. I haven't shot in the 60's since that day two years ago.

It's unlikely you'll ever win it big playing the lottery, but it does happen to someone each day.

You don't think a 2.8 index could beat his previous best score in your league by 5 strokes on one occassion? Over 18 holes, a guy who's capable of shooting a 73 can do 5 strokes better. A few putts drop, he hits all his GIR...does not seem that out of question. Sometimes, a guy just plays well and beats you, bro.

In my Callaway stand bag:

9.5 Degree Taylormade Burner Superfast Adilla Voodoo shaft
3 Wood: Cleveland Launcher 15 degree Adilla Voodoo shaft
Irons 3-SW: Callaway X-14 Steelhead

Lob wedge: Cleveland 60 degree

Putter: Ping Anser Karsten

Check to see if he posts his tournament score. If he doesn't then you will know.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Rad Tour 16* | Tour Edge 19* | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Odyssey 2 Ball Blade | Vice Pro Plus  

I played in the ESPN two man on monday. It was at my home coarse and my handicap is up to 8 now. I shot two over, my best round so far. It does happen.

Woods: Titleist 909 D3, Titleist 909 F2
Hybrids: Taylormade Rescue
Irons: Titleist AP-2
Wedges: Titleist Vokey spin milled
Putter: White Hot 2 ball.

ya this isnt an unrealistic score, i put a 66 the other day after shooting consistent 82's for the week whole week before then just out of no where i shot 66 in a match against a friend for $60 because he knew i was playing bad and thought he could beat me and out of no where i shot 66 like these rounds are not uncommon for single digits because most of the problems that they have with their game are so subtle that the little changes can make huge differences

|callaway.gif X460 Tour Fujikura Tour Platform 26.3 73g | taylormade.gif 2i Rescue 11 |  3i HiBore Hybrid |  710 MB |  Wedge Works 48/06 |  cg12 52/08  | vokey.gifSpin Milled 56/11 | nike.gifSV Tour 60/10 | cameron.gif Studio Select Newport 2 34" |

rangefinder : LR550

I know a guy who play's off 8.
If he has a bad round he withdraws from the competition.
I don't see the point in it though.

A 68 isn't impossible, if he sinks a few more putts he'd be able to do it.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

I played in a tournament last week. A 15 year old kid shot an 8 under par round of 64.

The college players he destroyed aren't crying about him being a sandbagger. They're in awe of his talent.

driver: FT-i tlcg 9.5˚ (Matrix Ozik XCONN Stiff)
4 wood: G10 (ProLaunch Red FW stiff)
3 -PW: :Titleist: 695 mb (Rifle flighted 6.0)
wedges:, 52˚, 56˚, 60˚
putter: Studio Select Newport 1.5

Did someone shoot a 59 in a PGA tournament? no one called him a sandbagger? :)

very true!

A pro is what? a +6? Playing on a par 70 course with a high slope rating he should only be shooting 68 at best! He's obviously a sandbagger, shooting 10 under your handicap is impossible.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

It sounds a little unusual, but not at all unreasonable. Frankly I think you shooting a 76 in a tourney with a 9.4 index sounds more questionable than his round if you look at it from other's perspective. I'm not questioning your round, just saying that you need to be a little more open minded. I don't think this is a case of "worst kind of sandbagger" but more like a "bitter kind of loser".

Not to beat this thing to death but what was his demeanor during the round? Was it a "casual" 68 or was he pretty excited about the outcome. That will tell you a lot about the validity of the score.

Speedline 9032 9.5* Aldila Voodoo RNV6 Shaft
Exotics XCG 15* Fairway
AD Hybrids, 17* / 21* / 24* Aldila NVR
CG7 Black Pearl 6-PW, 1* Strong 2* Up
CG15 Wedges, 52-10* / 56-10* / 60-12* DSG 33.5" Rossa Monza Ghost Pro V1, Penta TP 1600 Tournament EditionHome Club: Stone Creek Golf Club,...

It sounds a little unusual, but not at all unreasonable. Frankly I think you shooting a 76 in a tourney with a 9.4 index sounds more questionable than his round if you look at it from other's perspective. I'm not questioning your round, just saying that you need to be a little more open minded. I don't think this is a case of "worst kind of sandbagger" but more like a "bitter kind of loser".

It was a qualifier, there was no "winner" or "loser" - both our teams qualified. That being said, you see someone as being "more questionable" shooting a 76 when they have a 73 and many high 70's included in their handicap than someone who shoots 68 and beats their best posted score in the last 6 years by 5 strokes on what I would not call an "easy" course.

OK.

Nickent 4DX 20* and 24*
Tour Preferred 5-PW

Pro V1x

It was a qualifier, there was no "winner" or "loser" - both our teams qualified. That being said, you see someone as being "more questionable" shooting a 76 when they have a 73 and many high 70's included in their handicap than someone who shoots 68 and beats their best posted score in the last 6 years by 5 strokes on what I would not call an "easy" course.

If he was a sandbagger, I doubt he would have ended up with a 68 in a qualifier if he knew his team would be qualified.

Sour grapes is all this is.

The more I read in this thread, the more I suspect some of your opponents may have accused you of sandbagging too (probably not to your face though). Not saying it's true, but if somebody was to look at a list of your posted scores, a 73 and a few high 70s scores, would be a red flag when coupled with a 9.4 index.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Note: This thread is 5046 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!