IGNORED

Still looking to break 80

lafam1
Note: This thread is 4673 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My summer goal is to break 80, so I'm in the same boat as you.

Last year I played from the blue tees because I have a long drive if I hit it straight. This year, I decided to just play from the white tees until I break 80 or shoot low 80s on a consistent basis. So far out of thirteen rounds this summer, my lowest five scores have been 80, 81, 86, 89, 91. The 80 and 81 have been within the past week so I'm feeling pretty good about my game right now. I definitely think I'll break 80 this summer, I almost did twice. It's just a matter of choosing the right clubs and making sure I'm all lined up correctly before I take my shot. My putting isn't too horrible and this summer I have actually had an extreme amount of confidence hitting out of sand. I don't know what happened, but it just seems easy to me now.

My advice is to take it slow and focus on one aspect of your game at a time. Trying to do too much never seemed to help me out in the past.

Driver Cleveland HiBORE XLS 9.5°

Hybrid 3I Adams A7

Irons 3-PW Wilson Air Power

Wedges Cleveland CG10 52° Chrome, Cleveland Reg. 588 56° Chrome, Cleveland Reg. 588 60° Gunmetal

Putter Cleveland Classic #3

Best Score 80 (+8) - July 22, 2011 @ Highland Woods Golf Course (Blue Tees - 71.7/122)

I'm in the same boat, as a golfer who came back to playing in January with no hcap and one who previously only played very casual golf due to it being a second sport for me.

Short game,  short game, short game. We don't have black (your version of blue tees as our blue tees are junior :)) I play off whites the course I usually play is 6600 but it's tight and trouble is often 2 shots worth. If my short game was immaculate I could break 80 with nothing but a 4 iron, 8 iron, wedge and putter in the bag truthfully but this is even true of most of the 7000+ yds courses I've played. Breaking 75 requires your long game to really be in check, breaking 80 just means getting the ball in the hole 3 or less shots on average from 150yds in regularly.

Taylormade Burner Superfast TP 2010 9.5 - Matrix Ozik HD6 Stiff 44.5" (0.5" tipped, 1.5" butt trimmed reweighted D1)
Ping Rapture V2 3strong wood 13.5 - Diamana 63 g35t Stiff 42.5"
Cleveland Launcher DST 2hy 18* - Ultralite Diamana Red 74 Stiff 40.5"
Mizuno MP-52 3-PW standard loft/lie/length - Dynamic Gold S300
Titleist Vokey Spin Milled GW 52/8*
Titleist Vokey Spin Milled SW 56/14*
Spalding TPM-4 Putter (circa 1988)
Bridgestone B330RX balls.

I am back after playing irregularily for several years.  Still trying to break 80 and getting close.  Key for my good rounds has been avoiding "blow up" holes.  Learning (slowly!) to take my medicine when I hit a bad shot and realize that I'm not going to pull off miracle recovery shots (well, at least on a regular basis ).  Instead - get back into play and go for nothing worse than a bogey.  Played last week - nothing over bogey and ended up with an 84.  Make a couple more putts and I'm there.

I am in my third year of playing, and broke 80 last week with 77, dropped 2 on the front, 3 on the back. But 2 of them I catered for to manage the hole and protect my card. I reckon, the trick, which worked for me, was have a super sharp chipping game and be super confident with 4 foot putts. As long as you can consistently get off the tee, I believe this is the way, and basically adds consistency through confidence.:-)

I actually just broke 80 today for the first time in my 15th year.  Sometimes it takes longer than others.  My advice would be simply just to keep playing more.  I've made a purpose this year to play at least twice a week and it has definitely paid dividends.  I started out really struggling this year shooting more rounds in the 90s than in the 80s but kept on playing and now my last six rounds have been 80, 81, 83, 81, 90 (had at least five penalty strokes) and now 79 (from the blues btw).  You really learn and get a feel for the game pretty much by osmosis the more times you play.

• Upvote 1

Originally Posted by famousdavis

Breaking 80 only counts if you play from the blue tees. I would recommend taking some lessons, getting a pair and playing Ping Eye 2s.

Shooting 79 while hitting one OB of famousdavis' roof to the right side of the 18th fairway is the very best breaking 80 there is!

I was +1 on a nice Pete Dye track just north of Indy after 13 holes last weekend, and proceeded to hit two in the water, three jack once, and make another bogey for no reason on my way to the worst 80 of my life.   Stupid game.  I'm staring a 74 or so right in the face, then threw up all over the place.  It was a free day of golf after an invite from a few buddies who had previously paid for the round during a silent auction type situation (up for bid is a golf for four at Plum Creek.... etc.) but even when paying nothing, to finish like that sucked.

:macgregor: V Foil 8.5*    :tmade: Mid Rescue 16*  -- :wilsonstaff: RM  2 thru Wedge -- :vokey: 56/10  -- :scotty_cameron: Studio Design 2  & a  :srixon: Z Star 

The short game is where it's at. Practice chipping ALOT and putting. I constantly practice chipping in my backyard. Helps my up and downs alot.

Hi Bore XL 10.5*

Launcher DST 3W 15*

Rescue 09 Hybrid 19*

MX-23 Irons 4-PW

Wedges 51*,56*, 60*

Classic II Putter

B330-RX

Originally Posted by famousdavis

Breaking 80 only counts if you play from the blue tees. I would recommend taking some lessons, getting a pair and playing Ping Eye 2s.

wow... i see someone thinks he is gods gift to golf because he has a index of a 3. grow up.

should you be playing blacks anyway, if your really that good you should be playing the tips to prepare for all those tournaments to keep that hcp honest.

|callaway.gif X460 Tour Fujikura Tour Platform 26.3 73g | taylormade.gif 2i Rescue 11 |  3i HiBore Hybrid |  710 MB |  Wedge Works 48/06 |  cg12 52/08  | vokey.gifSpin Milled 56/11 | nike.gifSV Tour 60/10 | cameron.gif Studio Select Newport 2 34" |

rangefinder : LR550

Note: This thread is 4673 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!