• Announcements

    • iacas

      Create a Signature!   02/05/2016

      Everyone, go here and edit your signature this week: http://thesandtrap.com/settings/signature/.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
carpediem4300

Pushing my driver :(

6 posts in this topic

Guys,

Ive spent weeks at the ranging sorting out my ball striking from the floor and my chipping and wedge shots as these have always been my downfall, with shanks and slices, tops and fats etc, im now hitting them really nicely

but my driver used to be my game changer,.....dog leg? whatever ill take it on etc, i used to be able to rip as hard as i wanted and it would go straight or draw

now i just push, and push it hard out right,............and yet my irons fly straight/draw

any ideas what i can do to fix this? i dont want to go messing to much with my swing as ive worked so hard to get the irons going i cant go back to shanking them, ill have a melt down!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

My two cents without seeing your swing ...

1) Make sure both feet are on the ground though the backswing to start of the downswing;

2) Make sure the takeway, your club head is outside (in front of) your hands

3) Rotate with your shoulders to the top, don't "swing" the club behind you (over the top move is next).

4) Slow down your backswing (sounds like you might be rushing)

5) Smooth swing through the ball rotating your hips and shoulders to the "PGA finish" position.

You can hit the ball farther by slowing down, but you cannot hit the ball straighter by swinging faster. Some coach told me that once. I liked it.

Good luck.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Mark,

ins response to your points:

1) my feet stay rooted, always have, video of swing shows and buddies watching

2) my buddies say my takeaway is always very inside - Could i be blocking myself? i always worry that if i steepen my driver swing ill just downright slice it - i believe my irons to be much steeper though as i take excellent striaght divots

3) as above, probably linked?

4) my backswing has always been slow as i am a tentative golfer, its what i have learnt to combat bad chip shots, slow backswing and accelerate through

5) i probably swing the downswing a little to fast, but it feels no different to my iron shots, yet i dont push/push slice them?

Originally Posted by umpiremark

My two cents without seeing your swing ...

1) Make sure both feet are on the ground though the backswing to start of the downswing;

2) Make sure the takeway, your club head is outside (in front of) your hands

3) Rotate with your shoulders to the top, don't "swing" the club behind you (over the top move is next).

4) Slow down your backswing (sounds like you might be rushing)

5) Smooth swing through the ball rotating your hips and shoulders to the "PGA finish" position.

You can hit the ball farther by slowing down, but you cannot hit the ball straighter by swinging faster. Some coach told me that once. I liked it.

Good luck.



0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From my slice experiences ... if I take the club inside, my next move down is over the top. If I get quick, and I get inside, my over the top move comes out to say hello and push-slice is my reward. I just know that from what I do incorrectly, when I do it.

If I get too quick on the downswing, the club gets there faster than my hands and the face is open (push).

"now i just push, and push it hard out right"

Obviously the face is open at impact. Fix that first.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Originally Posted by carpediem4300

but my driver used to be my game changer,.....dog leg? whatever ill take it on etc, i used to be able to rip as hard as i wanted and it would go straight or draw


No offense here, but 24 handicap and you could really rip driver straight hitting as hard as you want consistently?  I'd say getting honest about your actual performance, i.e. fairway % is a first big step.  Simply straight push means draw/hook swing with a bad grip or clubface manipulation on the backswing.  Check your grip and see if it's too weak.  Then check your hinge on the backswing and see if it rotates the clubface drastically open.  The clubface will tend to open slightly on the downswing, so if you are leaving your arms suspended in the air instead of pulling them down in concert with your transition it will exacerbate the problem.  You can't close the clubface if your arms are trailing way behind your torso on the downswing.  There are a number of causes of this, but a big one is too much rotation combined with a swing plane that's too flat and a grip that's too weak, the grip likely a compensation for the poor body mechanics.  That's all wild guesses without a swing to see though.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

cross my heart and hope to die, the only thing since taking up the game i could do well and consistently was my driver, i rarely missed fairways,...............it was the shank/top/slice,....followed by a guaranteed 4 putt that always destroyed me.

A big thing of my game now is to be as honest as possible with myself, shoot what i should shoot and dont shave anything, or delude myself with fake stats or distances, my game has improved alot for that.

infact my main golfing buddy is infactuated with my driving (prior to a week ago) that he asked me to teach him?!?!?!?!?! i declined as i feared i would screw his game being a 24 capper and not knowing the mechanics

grip is certainly not weak, had lessons a few weeks ago and the pro asked "where did you learn that grip?, its excellent!".........id actually learnt it two years prior from the pro this person had replaced lol

you have come back to the same conclusion my buddy keeps banging on about, flat swing...........

PS: no offence regarding the 24 capper comment,

Originally Posted by bunkerputt

No offense here, but 24 handicap and you could really rip driver straight hitting as hard as you want consistently?  I'd say getting honest about your actual performance, i.e. fairway % is a first big step.  Simply straight push means draw/hook swing with a bad grip or clubface manipulation on the backswing.  Check your grip and see if it's too weak.  Then check your hinge on the backswing and see if it rotates the clubface drastically open.  The clubface will tend to open slightly on the downswing, so if you are leaving your arms suspended in the air instead of pulling them down in concert with your transition it will exacerbate the problem.  You can't close the clubface if your arms are trailing way behind your torso on the downswing.  There are a number of causes of this, but a big one is too much rotation combined with a swing plane that's too flat and a grip that's too weak, the grip likely a compensation for the poor body mechanics.  That's all wild guesses without a swing to see though.



0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • 2016 TST Partners

    GAME Golf
    PING Golf
    Lowest Score Wins
  • Posts

    • Share a Fact from Your Job
      How does the bank lose money? Is inflation that bad that the 30,000 euros of interest is not enough to cover it? Is it because the bank no longer has that money at their disposal to invest for a potentially larger return on their investment when compared to a mortgage?
    • Share a Fact from Your Job
      paradoxal bank fact : in our banks in france if you take a mortgage of 100 000 euros for 20 years at 2,5 interest rate you will probably pay close to 30 000 euros of interest. this seams huge to customers. nevertheless the bank might loose money or have à max a 200 euros margin per year. the only way we make money is on the mortgage insurance policy part and getting a long time customer in the bank.  
    • Club face angles
      thanks. I'm doing that so I might do some horse trading.
    • Myrtle Beach in early March part duex
      Okay I think you may be a little confused on your location...You said that you are staying at Holiday Sands North close to the Boardwalk.  Your Hotel is centrally located in Myrtle Beach.  A lot of people not familiar of the area mistakenly think that "North Myrtle Beach" is referring to an area in the Northern part of Myrtle Beach.  Actually it is a separate city that is located a good ten miles from where you are staying.  The closest "North Myrtle Beach" courses to you would be the Barefoot Resort courses which are about 13 miles from you and are considered higher end courses where you will be paying probably around $125 per round to play unless you book a package deal or play with a member.  The next closest North Myrtle Beach courses which are mid-tiered and a little more price friendly that may seem to be what you are looking for are a little farther north into North Myrtle located probably about 15 to 17 miles from where you are staying.   The closest courses to where you are staying include Myrtlewood, Pine Lakes Country Club, River Oaks Plantation, World Tour, and the Legends courses.  All are probably right within the amount of travel time that you are looking at.  I would second the earlier poster that you contact @bnlongdriver.  Tell him (Brian) what you are looking for and he will set you up nicely.  I would definitely avoid GolfNow for anything related to Myrtle Beach.  Very few courses down there work with Golf Now and the few that do are lower tiered courses that you probably wouldn't want to play as there are many better choices for the money that you will be playing.  Looks like you will be going right as the peak golf season is starting to get underway so last minute deals, although probably available, will be a bit more difficult to come by.  However, if this is the route that you want to take, again I would contact Brian as he has the ability to get a lot of very good "48 hour" rates.  If you go ahead and contact him now and let him know that's the way you want to go, he will be able to keep you in mind and as the time of your arrival nears will have a better idea of what to find you.   
    • Titleist ProV1 and ProV1X brand new by the dozen!
      email me at csweeney02@wildcats.jwu.edu for more information and placing your order!   i have for sale multiple dozens of $30 TITLEIST PROV1, $40 TITLEIST PROV1X, AND $30 TAYLOR MADE PROJECT(A)
  • TST Blog Entries

  • Images

  • Today's Birthdays

    1. KendrickAnna
      KendrickAnna
      (21 years old)
  • Blog Entries