IGNORED

6iron. How far to hit.

Note: This thread is 6187 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

How far do you hit your six iron? I hit mine, from 110 yards to 130 yards. Am I hitting it too short. Do I need a little Enzyte in my swing? Or am I hitting it just right.

Yeah, a lot of pressure. Rise above it. Harness in the good energy, block out the bad. Harness energy, block bad.
Feel the flow, Happy. It's circular. It's Like a carousel. You get on the horse. It goes up, down and around. Circular. Circle. With the music,the flow. All good things.I...

Hmmm... My "regular" 6-iron swing gets me about 180 yards.

Driver: Titleist 905S/9.5/Fujikura Speeder Stiff
3W: Titleist 906FT
Irons: Ping i10/Red dot
Wedges: Cleveland CG12/54/60
Putter: Odyssey XG RossieBall: TaylorMade TP Red

How far do you hit your six iron? I hit mine, from 110 yards to 130 yards. Am I hitting it too short. Do I need a little Enzyte in my swing? Or am I hitting it just right.

First off...are you hitting it consistently straight? It doesn't matter how far you hit it if it does't go where you want. I can hit a 6i about 185yds but that is if I'm swinging at max speed and my margin for error increases dramatically. So I pull the 6i out if I have 165 to 170 yds and I can usually hit it straight without busting a nut.

I've used a 6 iron for 140yd shot when there was wind in my face and/or if the green was elevated... There are other factors to ask too...shaft type (steel/graphite), shaft flex, swing speed, etc...that might help give us some insight.

Da Bag:

TM Super Quad R7 (w/Stulz stiff shaft)
TM CGB R7 4-PW (steel)
Cleveland Halo 1i, 3i, 5i (steel)Cleveland CG10 SW, GWHeavy Putter A1MTitliest ProV1xTitliest Tour BagClub Glove head coversFootjoy Classic Dry Premier

In addition to what AMG said... it also depends on how far you hit your 5 and 7 irons. If you hit your 5 iron 130'ish and your 7 iron 110'ish then it would seem to be in line with your current conditions. To go beyond that, we do not have enough info.

In a general grouping of 5'6" to 6'2" guys in there late 30's early 40's, elevation of 500-600 ft above sea level, I am a bit shorter then average at 165 yards with my 6 iron.

On average...about 180.

Driver: Titleist 905R with Aldila NV stiff
3 Wood: Titleist 909f2 w/ Aldila Voodoo stiff
Hybrid: Taylor Made Rescue Club 19*
4-PW: Titleist 695cb
GW (50 degree): Titleist Oil Can Vokey 250SW (54 degree): Titleist Vokey Oil Can Spin MilledLW (58 degree): Titleist Vokey Spin MilledPutter: Scotty...

My stock 6 iron in normal conditions (level ground, no wind, 60 degrees or more) is 180 yards. I've had days at the range when I could reach the 200 yard sign with it, and days where I struggled to reach the 150 depending on wind and temperature.

But like previous posters mentioned, it comes out of the bag on much shorter shots fairly often, especially with winter conditions up here. When it's 38 degrees, drizzling rain and windy, club selection becomes almost comedic.

Titleist 907D1 10.5°
Titleist 906F4 15.5°
Titleist 906F4 18.5°
Wilson Staff Pi5 3-P
Titleist Vokey 56.14Cleveland CG12 60°Scotty Cameron Newport Two

I usually hit it 160-170. Straight.
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

It all depends on your swing speed. I am 6'3" and 220 pounds, swing my driver almost 120 mph and hit my 6 iron 200 yards. My normal playing partner is shorter and older than me with a much slower swing. He hits his 6 around 150 yards and beats me most rounds. As long as your hitting the ball straight, and a CONSISTANT distance, then there's no wrong yardage.

In The Bag

Driver R7 SuperQuad 8.5 Xstiff
5 Wd SQ X stiff steel
3-PW RAC LT X stiff 52 dg RAC TP Satin56 dg RAC TP Satin60 dg Vokey Oil CanPutter Cameron Studio Newport

I am 6'0 and 175 pounds and 18 years of age. I hit my 6 iron this year 170 to 180 yards. Last year it was my 165-175 club. It all really depends on the person swinging the club, and the club its self. Loft is a major factor too, and your ball flight. You shouldn't really compare your self to someone else. Just too many factors involved. Play your game.

907D2 9.5º Proforce V2 85 Stiff
904F 15º stiff Speeder Shaft
735.CM Chrome 2-P
Spin-Milled Vokeys Tour Chrome 54.10/60.04
Studio Style Newport 2.5 Black X66 Stand Bag Pro V1

I suspect you asked the question because you feel maybe you should be hitting it farther? Generally speaking average adult recreational golfers hit their 6 irons about 140 (carry in the air). Avid golfers about 10-15 yards farther, single digit and long hitters anywhere from 165-195 yards. Tiger has stated he carries his normal six iron 190-195 yards, but can carry it up to 205 if he needs to. Average for PGA tour pros is 180-185.

Swinging harder is probably not the cure, swinging better ususally is. As your swing improves you will hit it further. Anyway Bob looks like a lousy golfer so Enzyte probably won't help.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

2: 220+ (Only hit from the tee)
3: 205 - 215
4: 195 - 205
5: 185 - 195
6: 175 - 185
7: 165 - 175
8: 145 - 155
9: 135 - 145
PW: 125 - 135
52: 105 - 115
58: 85 - 90
DBake
Titleist 909D3 10.5* Tour Green 89 Stiff
Titleist 906F2 15* v2 85 Stiff
Mizuno MP-30 2-PW S300
Mizuno MP-R 52* & 59*Scotty Cameron Studio Design 1.5Titleist Pro V1Leupold GX-1The Home Course (75.7/130)

Yeah I suspect someone may have said something to you to prompt this question. If you hit is straight and are consistant with it then I wouldn't worry about a thing. I hit my 6 iron around 160 yards but I often do play in windy conditions where I'll pull it from 150 or even less. I also don't swing hard at all at my irons... I want to be accurate with them. If I have 165 yards and don't think I can get a 6 there then I'll pull a 5. I don't care, they don't add strokes to your score just because you needed more club to get there. If you are hitting it straight then no worries... get a good short game and you could be deadly.

Driver: 09 Launcher 10.5
4 Wood: 09 Launcher Steel 17
Hybrid: Baffler DWS 20 Aldila Reg
Irons: AP1 4-GW Steel
Wedges: 588 Gunmetal 56 & 60Putter: Studio Style Newport 2Ball: NXT Tour

Yeah I suspect someone may have said something to you to prompt this question. If you hit is straight and are consistant with it then I wouldn't worry about a thing. I hit my 6 iron around 160 yards but I often do play in windy conditions where I'll pull it from 150 or even less. I also don't swing hard at all at my irons... I want to be accurate with them. If I have 165 yards and don't think I can get a 6 there then I'll pull a 5. I don't care, they don't add strokes to your score just because you needed more club to get there. If you are hitting it straight then no worries... get a good short game and you could be deadly.

Damn right...I had my butt handed to me a couple years ago by a guy 70yrs old. All he did was hit it straight and his short game was a gem. His drive was no more than 230 yds (STRAIGHT)...I outdrove him 40 yds everytime, but he was hitting from the short grass vs. my ball being in the woods or in the water. Accuracy (esp. in your mid iron and wedges) not length will get your score lower...oh don't forget putting!

Da Bag:

TM Super Quad R7 (w/Stulz stiff shaft)
TM CGB R7 4-PW (steel)
Cleveland Halo 1i, 3i, 5i (steel)Cleveland CG10 SW, GWHeavy Putter A1MTitliest ProV1xTitliest Tour BagClub Glove head coversFootjoy Classic Dry Premier

Damn right...I had my butt handed to me a couple years ago by a guy 70yrs old. All he did was hit it straight and his short game was a gem. His drive was no more than 230 yds (STRAIGHT)...I outdrove him 40 yds everytime, but he was hitting from the short grass vs. my ball being in the woods or in the water. Accuracy (esp. in your mid iron and wedges) not length will get your score lower...oh don't forget putting!

Hard to argue with that. I hit the hell out out of the ball. Consistantly drive it 300 or so. But I'd trade 50 yards of distance to be in the fairway 80% of the time, and have some incredible accuracy with my mid irons. I played yesterday with 3 other guys that were all short but straight hitters. I was consistantly 50-60 yards past them off the tee. But they were the ones putting for birdies!! At the amature level, distance is not that important.

In The Bag

Driver R7 SuperQuad 8.5 Xstiff
5 Wd SQ X stiff steel
3-PW RAC LT X stiff 52 dg RAC TP Satin56 dg RAC TP Satin60 dg Vokey Oil CanPutter Cameron Studio Newport

First off...are you hitting it consistently straight?

Yes. Out of 10 balls struck, 1 goes crazy right, 1 goes crazy left. The others go to the target, and land to within 15 feet from the target. Sometimes this varies, but its pretty predictable.

Interestingly, when I do a high draw to the target, it gets closer than my straight shot. Go figure
I suspect you asked the question because you feel maybe you should be hitting it farther? ...

Yes and no, these are my new irons and I want to nail down the yardages. But also, I'm a little older, have back problems because of my job and probably drink too much, so I generally swing easy, however I wanted to know how I compare to the average.

I'm being brutally honest with the yardage; I'm not adding any vanity yards. After I create my yardage chart, I'll go take a lesson on distance from my local pro. Thanks to everyone that replied.

Yeah, a lot of pressure. Rise above it. Harness in the good energy, block out the bad. Harness energy, block bad.
Feel the flow, Happy. It's circular. It's Like a carousel. You get on the horse. It goes up, down and around. Circular. Circle. With the music,the flow. All good things.I...

Don't interest about your distance, it's better you interest about your consistency and about your swing, i know people whose shot a 150 yards 6 iron and shoot a 74 every day....

I hit mine anywhere from 140-175 depending on conditions. Stock 6 iron goes about 170 flat, warm with no wind.

In the bag:
Great Big Birtha II Stiff 10 degrees
Hibore 15 degrees, V2 shaft stiff
X-forged 3-pw
Vokey Oil Can 256-10, 260-08 34in Tess ProV1

I've been on both sides of this one. I was hitting the driver pretty good last weekend and played with a guy that was probably 200-220 off the tee but he didn't miss a fairway all round. He shot 76 and kicked my ass. I swear he hit every fairway and made everything he looked at. Consistancy, accuracy and a good short game my friend.

I've also played with people who bombed it off the tee 50 yards or so past me and I've beaten them. This has happened quite a bit. I'd be hitting 4 iron and they'd be hitting a 7 and I'd be closer after the next shot. I'm being brutally honest with the yardage; I'm not adding any vanity yards. After I create my yardage chart, I'll go take a lesson on distance from my local pro. Honesty with your distances and your game is very important. I continue to be amazed at how many guys who hit it "300 yards" I can outdrive with my 240 yard tee shot.

Driver: 09 Launcher 10.5
4 Wood: 09 Launcher Steel 17
Hybrid: Baffler DWS 20 Aldila Reg
Irons: AP1 4-GW Steel
Wedges: 588 Gunmetal 56 & 60Putter: Studio Style Newport 2Ball: NXT Tour

Note: This thread is 6187 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!