IGNORED

Help picking new irons!!

LRMgolf
Note: This thread is 4506 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello every one. This is my first post, so any help would be appreciated.

I am currently a 16 handicap. My goal for the up coming year is to drop it down to at least a 12. Lower would be great but would also take 14. I currently use Nickent 3dx hybrid irons. I have had them for several years. The irons are ok, but have graphite shafts, which I never got use to hitting. So I am in the market for new irons with steel shafts.

I am looking at two different sets at the moment. The Taylormade burner 1.0, and the Cobra S3's. They are both considered game improvement irons, the where my current set is SGI irons. So I am asking if anyone has a preference to either club and why. I know everyone is different. but I would like other people views before I go and spend the money for a new set. Thanks

Driver - Ping G15

3 Wood - Taylormade V-steel

5 Wood - Cleveland Launcher

4 Hybrid - Taylormade Burner

Irons - 5-PW Callaway X-18

Wedge - Golden Bear 56*

Putter - Odyssey 2-ball SRT

The Cleveland CG16 irons are marvelous! Great distance, impecable accuracy. I hit it 160 with a 6 iron where as my driver only goes 200! The price should be lowered becasue of Cleveland's new line. Check Ebay.

"It's better to burn out than to fade away." -Kurt Cobain

I currently play the TM Burner 1.0's. For the money, they are a great iron! You should be able to pick up a brand new set anywhere from $350- $399.

I stepped away from the game for several years and played the Cleveland TA3's. I normally shot low 80's, back then. I got serious about golf this year and my swing was no where it once was. My mishits with the TA3's really cost me alot of shots, I knew I needed a more forgiving iron to help me and the Burner 1.0's fit that ticket. Right now I average mid to high 80's, so hopefully next year I will get closer to my old game. IMO, they're not as bulky as many othe GI irons. The ball flies high and stops on a dime. They are a little stronger lofted than others, usually a 1 club difference. Hope it helps. I answer any questions you have about them.

Don't get me wrong, Cleveland makes an awesome club as well. When or if I decide to go with another set of irons, Cleveland will be right up there for me to choose from.

Phillip

Thanks for the reply guys. Im getting a little closer to a decision. But but fully decided yet. The Clevelands are nice clubs, I really like the fact that they have the laser milled faces for the added spin. But I like the forgiveness of the burners. Anyone have an opinion on the cobra s3's?

Driver - Ping G15

Wedge - Golden Bear 56*

The Cleveland are definitely more forgiving. I owned the Burners and hit the CG16's side by side.

:tmade: R15 14* Matrix Black Tie 7m3

:adams: Speedline Super S 3w & 5w Matrix Radix HD S VI

:callaway: X-12 4-PW Memphis 10

IONNOVEX  Type S GDT 50*, 54* & 62* Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage Black 80ir

:odyssey: Tri-Ball SRT

-Landon

Cobra makes an excellent iron.  I had a chance to try the FP's and S9 irons for a round each last summer and liked them both.  The FP's are thought of as a "players cavity back" and the S9's as more game improvement but I think that's splitting hairs as they both seemed easy to launch to me.  If I had bought at that time I would have gone for the FP's.

A friend of mine just got the S2's with graphite new in box for $240 so Cobra's are going cheap on ebay.  He got the S2's to replace his Burner Plus's w/steel shafts.  He's only had 1 round with them but likes them better, that's not very conclusive and it may be just the graphite he likes better but there it is.  Personally I've never liked TaylorMade irons.  It's not anything but prejudice on my part, I don't like the way they look or the flashy "inverted cone" whiz bang bs, or the pushy salesman telling me about there space age alloy shafts that no one in the world can replicate.

If I were buying,  Cobra's would be on my short list.  I wouldn't have a large opinion between the FP's, S9's, S2's or the S3's. I don't think iron tech moves that fast and the FP's can be had real cheap.  I haven't played the S2's or S3's but it's unlikely they're any worse than the S9's.  The only thing I don't like about the S2's/S3's is the loft on the short irons, a 43* pitching wedge might make a jump that could be awkward.

Just some thoughts.

Quote:

The Cleveland CG16 irons are marvelous! ... The price should be lowered becasue of Cleveland's new line. ...

I talked to a Cleveland rep at a recent holiday event, and he said the CG16 will remain as a mainstay iron.

New Lineup

* SGI - CG Black

* GI - CG16, CG16 Tour

* Player's - CG1 Tour + (another model I can't recall)

So, I'm not sure you'll get big price cuts on CG16 family.

Also, you're making a major move to outfit yourself for the future. So, go to a golf shop and get fitted for irons. Try out several models from the SGI/GI categories. Don't play hit and miss trying to get lucky on eBay.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by WUTiger

Also, you're making a major move to outfit yourself for the future. So, go to a golf shop and get fitted for irons. Try out several models from the SGI/GI categories. Don't play hit and miss trying to get lucky on eBay.

That's a very good point about being fitted and trying different clubs.  I would never discourage anyone from getting fitted, and if you buy the current model at the going price the fitting is usually free.  I simply assumed that when the OP mentioned Burner 1.0's that he was looking for the lowest price on an older model, (big assumption on my part). Buying from a reputable retailer on ebay is one way of doing that that isn't hit or miss in terms of product quality or authenticity.

For myself I don't buy clubs off ebay because I like to feel and hit the clubs I'm buying.  I also enjoy the service and supporting my local business.  I seem to be in the minority though, most people want the lowest price and don't care about the service or being fit.

Originally Posted by dbwood

Personally I've never liked TaylorMade irons.  It's not anything but prejudice on my part, I don't like the way they look or the flashy "inverted cone" whiz bang bs, or the pushy salesman telling me about there space age alloy shafts that no one in the world can replicate.

LOL! I am the same way with Callaway irons. I hate the thick top line of the Cally's. I think the Burner 1.0's and 2.0's have a great look to them. I was looking for an upgrade to my old TA3's and for my current game and price, the 1.0's were the best fit for what I found at the local Dick's SG store. I have never heard anything negative about Cleveland irons and wedges. Now their drivers on the other hand, I don't particularly care for. Now once I get my game back in order I will more than likely make another upgrade.

LRM, for the price of the 1.0's you really can't go wrong. But if price is no option, then I would leave all options open. I personally like the Titleist AP's, Mizuno's JPX800, R11's, and Cleveland's CG line.

Phillip

Originally Posted by dbwood

That's a very good point about being fitted and trying different clubs.  I would never discourage anyone from getting fitted, and if you buy the current model at the going price the fitting is usually free.  I simply assumed that when the OP mentioned Burner 1.0's that he was looking for the lowest price on an older model, (big assumption on my part). Buying from a reputable retailer on ebay is one way of doing that that isn't hit or miss in terms of product quality or authenticity.

For myself I don't buy clubs off ebay because I like to feel and hit the clubs I'm buying.  I also enjoy the service and supporting my local business.  I seem to be in the minority though, most people want the lowest price and don't care about the service or being fit.

+1 on the fitting! Even though I went to the local Dick's SG and purchased the 1.0's, I was fitted for the irons. I would stay away from ebay at all costs! Too many knock offs. There are a few reputable sellers on ebay. But its still a crap shoot buying off ebay.

Phillip

Originally Posted by WUTiger

Quote:

I talked to a Cleveland rep at a recent holiday event, and he said the CG16 will remain as a mainstay iron.

New Lineup

* SGI - CG Black

* GI - CG16, CG16 Tour

* Player's - CG1 Tour + (another model I can't recall)

So, I'm not sure you'll get big price cuts on CG16 family.

That's good to know....i was afraid as soon as i could bu cg16's theyd be old

"It's better to burn out than to fade away." -Kurt Cobain

Can't lose with either set. I would say try to hit both, maybe find a demo at your pro shop, and see what you feel most confident in.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks for all the great feed back everyone. When I decide to get the set, I will more than likely get them from golf smith. Yes you can find them cheaper on ebay. But I have had some bad experiences when dealing with ebay sellers. I am also looking to get fit for the irons I choose, and should get a better deal if I purchase the clubs are the store. I like all the suggestions that I have reveived, but would like to keep the price around $500. Right now I could get burners for $399 and s3's for $499. So that is where I am at the moment. Thanks again for all the help....... In the future I would like to post a clip of my swing and get some opinions on what I could approve on.

Driver - Ping G15

Wedge - Golden Bear 56*

Note: This thread is 4506 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!