IGNORED

Help needed. Got new fitted G20 irons and i cant hit them ! Shanking.

brian72gb
Note: This thread is 3361 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Like uitar9 above, I also have suffered with shanking. For me the cure was very similar: I line the ball up against the toe of the club and this gives me a consistent in to out path, generally hitting the dall centrally in the face.

Callaway Big Bertha V Series 10.5 Driver stiff shaft
Benross Hot Speed 16 deg 3 fw
Callaway XR 22 deg hybrid
Callaway XR 25 deg hybrid
Callaway Big Bertha 6-pw
Callaway Mack Daddy 3 48/54/60 wedges
Odyssey White Hot Pro Havok

• 3 weeks later...

I play Ping G20s and love them. The shank is not caused by the club, trust me. Try this: how you think about the golf swing very much influences what you do during the swing.If you under stand that the swing has one axis during the back swing and a different one on the downswing you will think about that when you swing. The back swing axis is the spine. The down swing axis is the forward hip joint. Put 60% of your weight on your front foot and turn by using only your shoulders (around the spine) in the back swing. Weight can be more than 60% on front foot but never less.

Swing thoughts suggested are:" shoulders(around spine)" going back," hips(around front hip socket)" going down. Your head does not move.

That's how I do it. Never a shank. Consistent ball first contact. High, mostly a slight draw ball flight. With Ping G20s. Now if I could just make a frigging putt.

To give credit where its due, these are the teachings of Pro Ross Duplessis. See www .rossduplessisgolf.com.

I have been playing golf for 47 years. Still learning.

Good luck.

I'd try to get a couple lessons.  Good luck, and enjoy the game!

+ 1

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I had the shanks for a while too. I got over it with a simple drill.

I placed a tee just outside the ball fall enough that I would be able to make decent contact with the ball at center or towards the toe only. Then I took a swing and simply concentrated on not hitting the tee, which led to good contact. Then I moved the ball away from the tee and my body was used to the good swing

Its the swing, not the clubs.

"Well, are you taking penicilin?"

I'll also accept

" Put your change in your left pocket. Go on, do it.

Now, tie your left shoe in a double knot. Right now, do it!

Turn the hat backwards. Turn your hat around. Do it, Brian72gb!

Take this tee and stick it behind your left ear.

Do it now or I'm going to quit. I swear to God I'll quit."

now hit the ball

Bill - 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 1 month later...

On a trip trip Phoenix I got fitted (confirmed my own experimenting) at the PING center. Red dot,  reg flex etc. The G20 are the easiest most forgiving and consistent irons I've ever hit. I shank occasionally, but its not the club. Typically happens when I am over swinging (and creating bad tempo) and left arm is bent. No surprise when it happens. I quickly focus on the basics next shot is dead is clean and pure.

Note: This thread is 3361 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!