IGNORED

Shaft lean at address and impact

Note: This thread is 3921 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I purchased a SkyPro device to provide me with feedback on my golf swing beyond video.  Along with measuring most aspects of the golf swing it points out areas of the swing that the developers consider to be bad.

With all my clubs, it reports shaft lean as being too forward.  On my PW, my shaft lean at address is 14* and at impact it's 15*.  On my driver shaft lean is 10* at address and 12* at impact.

What are acceptable numbers for shaft lean at address and impact?  Should I be working on using less shaft lean at address or just ignore the alerts for this part of the swing?

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hmm. 14 at address seems like a lot. When I measure on Analyzer most pros are less than that. Not sure about impact. My wondering is how do you verify the numbers from SkyPro? Is there anything to check what 0 is?

Michael

You calibrate SkyPro with each club.  0 is straight up and down, I experimented with it to make sure it wasn't reporting a false number and if I hold the shaft completely vertical, it will report 0 or 1* shaft lean.

Joe Paradiso

Originally Posted by newtogolf

I purchased a SkyPro device to provide me with feedback on my golf swing beyond video.  Along with measuring most aspects of the golf swing it points out areas of the swing that the developers consider to be bad.

With all my clubs, it reports shaft lean as being too forward.  On my PW, my shaft lean at address is 14* and at impact it's 15*.  On my driver shaft lean is 10* at address and 12* at impact.

What are acceptable numbers for shaft lean at address and impact?  Should I be working on using less shaft lean at address or just ignore the alerts for this part of the swing?

I just checked my numbers on mine and I always get the forward leaning shaft alert in my address position because of how I setup  but from what I see you are steep with all of your clubs especially your driver into impact.

My PW was 5 degrees forward at impact while your 15 degrees is much much too steep.  My shaft angle with my driver was 3 degree leaning backwards and you are 12 degrees downward and that is not good and has to be corrected.  I don't worry so much about the ones at address because I feel comfortable, but the ones at impact are what matter and since I deliver the club pretty well I don't worry about the forward leaning shaft at address.

On film I'm sure Iacas could tell you right away what your problem is whether it be ball position, or loss of axis tilt, etc.  Either way something isn't right. And the unit is very accurate so I can't blame the skypro.

From some more Analyzer study 15 at impact seems pretty good for the lower irons. A bit much but not the max that I have seen.

I tend to agree with Righty to Lefty that the driver forward shaft lean is a bit too forward.

Michael

Originally Posted by birlyshirly

How much loft can you possibly deliver on a driver (even a 13* static lofted driver) with 12* of forward shaft lean?

Is your ball flight telling you anything?

Typical ball flight is moderate arc, could probably increase carry distance with higher ball flight.  Distances are relatively short for internet - SkyPro reports swing head speeds between 101 - 106 and average distance at range using range balls is about 200 carry and 15 yard rollout.

Joe Paradiso

Originally Posted by newtogolf

Typical ball flight is moderate arc, could probably increase carry distance with higher ball flight.  Distances are relatively short for internet - SkyPro reports swing head speeds between 101 - 106 and average distance at range using range balls is about 200 carry and 15 yard rollout.

Oh my.....you've got to be losing 60+ yards of carry at your swingspeed. At your swingspeed you should be hittin a three or 4 iron 215. My swingspeed is 111 on the skypro and I was getting 293 total on trackman during my driver fitting.

Originally Posted by mchepp

From some more Analyzer study 15 at impact seems pretty good for the lower irons. A bit much but not the max that I have seen.

I tend to agree with Righty to Lefty that the driver forward shaft lean is a bit too forward.

Thanks for the feedback.  I practiced today trying to reduce the shaft lean and was getting impact numbers between 10* - 12*  with PW and 6* - 8* with driver.  I didn't notice any significant increase in overall distance with driver (carry seemed longer, but rollout was less) so not sure if that's due to lousy range balls, angle of attack, swing speed or still too much shaft lean at impact.

Ideally what should shaft lean at impact be for PW, 7i, hybrid and driver?

Joe Paradiso

Originally Posted by mchepp

Is there a relationship between Shaft Lean at impact and Return Angle @ Half Down?  On swings where my shaft lean is higher, Return Angle is too inside (12*) as well.

Joe Paradiso

Note: This thread is 3921 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!