IGNORED

My Swing (stb5089)

stb5089
Note: This thread is 3203 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

Im still struggling with this mvmac,  thanks for the video. I don't like how i have some left arm breakdown and the right flexes a little too much.  Whats the best feeling to stop this?? Also in the video my head just on the downswing moves backwards, probably compensating for an issue in my swing place.  I'm a low ball hitter.  Play with a group of 20 guys from scratch to 12-14 handicaps and I have one of the lowest ball flights of them all

I haven't looked at your swing, but if your left arm is bending and your right arm is bending too much… DO THE THING IN THE VIDEO! :) The video talks about turning rates to complete the backswing. If you make just an arm swing, to complete the backswing you have to bend your arms.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

haha sorry about the camera.  Thanks.  normal ball flight is straight or a small cut.  My bigger misses are an occasional pull hook, a handfull in 18 holes.  Working on cleaning up posture and increasing turning rates.

Haha sorry i promise it wont happen again!

Im still struggling with this mvmac,  thanks for the video. I don't like how i have some left arm breakdown and the right flexes a little too much.  Whats the best feeling to stop this?? Also in the video my head just on the downswing moves backwards, probably compensating for an issue in my swing place.  I'm a low ball hitter.  Play with a group of 20 guys from scratch to 12-14 handicaps and I have one of the lowest ball flights of them all

I haven't looked at your swing, but if your left arm is bending and your right arm is bending too much… DO THE THING IN THE VIDEO! :) The video talks about turning rates to complete the backswing. If you make just an arm swing, to complete the backswing you have to bend your arms.

Yes just to add to what @iacas said, you're going to feel more like your pivot is "carrying" your arms. Your arms are bending because that's the only way they can get to a top of a backswing position if your swing is "armsy". Then the head goes back to try and get the ball in the air.

- Turn both feet out

- Have the knees rotated outward

- Turn you torso and hips more

- This will put you in a better position to get the weight more forward on the downswing and "use the ground" which will help you launch it higher.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Got the feet turned outward (more toe out)  Also got more hip turn.  Still have some flexion in the left arm at the top though.

I have the same flexion issue. But I'm super jealous of how steady your head is. Unreal...

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

I have the same flexion issue. But I'm super jealous of how steady your head is. Unreal...

Thanks slice, appreciate it.  it sounds too easy but i concentrate on staring at the golf ball on the backswing while rotating my shoulders around.  Spine and head should feel anchored, while body moves around that point.

Got the feet turned outward (more toe out)  Also got more hip turn.  Still have some flexion in the left arm at the top though.

I think the more you get the left picture better, more turn by A3 (left arm parallel to the ground on the backswing) the shorter the arm swing will have to be. You won't "need" to over-flex the left arm and get the shaft to parallel.

You get close to the same amount of turn by A4 but note the difference with how far the arms have traveled. Quick note, you don't have to look exactly like this to play better golf, this is just an example of how the pieces fit together.

If it's shorter I also think you'll see this sequence improve. To try and swing outward and get the arms down, you tilt your upper center back. If the arms will have a shorter distance to travel they can release down without disrupting the shoulder alignments.

Drill to help you get that feel

Mike McLoughlin

Thank you for the explanation and drill mike, much appreciated!  Will be working on those turning rates especially at the beginning of backswing/takeaway.  Hopefully this can alllow me to clean up  the head movement on the downswing as well.  I'll let you guys know the changes being made.

• 9 months later...
I have been playing 10 to 15 years with a strong grip. Right handed and right hand v points to no mans land. I've really gotten used to it over the years but I want to improve my accuracy. A round typically goes like this. Out of ten shots I'll prolly hit 4 to 5 straight balls. 2 to 3 pulls with a slight hook on them. Usually large misses that cause me the most trouble and about 2 cuts. Slight misses that do not really kill me. I shoot in the high 70's now and today a I tried a more neutral grip. Mainly just my right hand. And I totally blocked everything out to the right and had a horrible round. Everything was blocked so bad almost resembled a shank. And it is very uncomfortable to have a neutral grip. I'm deciding whether I should stick with it and fix what other underlying swing issue there is or just go back to my old grip. What should I do? Any tips for major blocks would be helpful haha

I have been playing 10 to 15 years with a strong grip. Right handed and right hand v points to no mans land. I've really gotten used to it over the years but I want to improve my accuracy. A round typically goes like this. Out of ten shots I'll prolly hit 4 to 5 straight balls. 2 to 3 pulls with a slight hook on them. Usually large misses that cause me the most trouble and about 2 cuts. Slight misses that do not really kill me.

I shoot in the high 70's now and today a I tried a more neutral grip. Mainly just my right hand. And I totally blocked everything out to the right and had a horrible round. Everything was blocked so bad almost resembled a shank. And it is very uncomfortable to have a neutral grip. I'm deciding whether I should stick with it and fix what other underlying swing issue there is or just go back to my old grip.

What should I do? Any tips for major blocks would be helpful haha

Could be any number of things, with your swing it's mostly due to what's going on here. Upper body tips back causing face and path problems. How are the turning rates going?

Also this may be helpful

Mike McLoughlin

Note: This thread is 3203 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!