IGNORED

Beginner clubs: Taylormade RBZ or Adams Tight Lie

Note: This thread is 3856 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm sure this is the million and one times a beginner has come here and asked what clubs I should get. I apologizes in advance and thank you for your help. I'm completely new to this. Only been to the driving range three times over the last two weeks. Been using the loaner clubs at the range and have been enjoying it quite a lot. I'm shopping the last few days and been reading a lot of reviews and getting general advice on various forums. Here's what I'm thinking of to start, getting either a complete set of Adams Tight Lies for $499 or get an 8 piece iron set Taylormade rocketballz hp for $329 (I can also get this set with two hybrids for $549). I'm leaning toward the rocketballz, I really liked how they felt. Have not had a chance to handle the Adams yet, will be this weekend. I know equipment is no substitute for training and practice. What I'm thinking is get the Taylormades and a bunch of lessons, in a month or so buy a driver and some woods, a bag and I already have a serviceable putter so in few months I'll have a complete set. Is this reasonable for a beginner or am I missing something? I'm not sure if the taylormades are beyond my skill level or if I would grow into them and if it would be better to have a nice set of clubs to begin with then having to upgrade in a year or two. Thanks again

I agree, go with the TaylorMade stuff and enjoy!  You can find some really great drivers, either used or from a couple years back, for a great prices.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I would go with the Taylormade Irons and buy them in 5-PW if possible. Then I'd put the 5i away until you get better. You will also most likely get a better resale than the Adams set.

I am not in love at all with the RBZ hybrids for a beginner. A better designed hybrid and friendly to beginners and for higher launching is the Bobby Jones - designed by the guy who made Orlimar the #1 fairway in the late 90's. And they have a sale! 25% off. Good feel, head looks big enough to give you confidence - beautiful club. Would also consider the 17 fairway at 42 in. as a easy 5 wood.

I play these hybrids and fairways - they are easy launchers and the hybrids, with the rounded sole, are great trouble clubs. For a beginner, would get the 25 and 30 in hybrids, and the price is right.

http://www.bobbyjones.com/golf-equipment/

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 3856 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!