IGNORED

I may quit! Gotta get this off of my chest..

ripsid
Note: This thread is 6036 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1st let me say that I'm stoked for my brother in law! He shot a 77! But I'm f*kn' annoyed!

I've been working hard on my swing, and putting and just my game in general. 2 or 3 range sessions, 2 or 3 putting sessions, playing as much as my schedule allows. I mean, when I'm home with daddy duty I'm outside chipping balls! I have a golf club inmy hand or golf is in my head 24x7!

My goal this season was to hit 79 or better atleast 1x! I goto 80/81, and of late I've been struggling to get into the 80's.. but I havent' been able to practice as much though.

My bro-n-law, who hasn't hit a ball in 3+ months goes out and shoots a f*kn 77! I know I have to work on my game, and have tried..hell I've gone through equipment like mad, gone through 3 putters... been putting non stop...ahh F*k! Love my bro-n-law, but wtf!

I have to admit it's a kick in my **lls... makes me want to quit the game. To know that I work on my game too much and get so OCD on the game, and it just doesn't payoff.
Ahhhh...

SiD

WITB
What's in SiD's bag

Ogio Stand Bag
Driver
910D3 9.5 set to 8.5
907D2 9.5 VS Proto Stif

f3WoodCleveland XLS 15* Stiff

Irons TaylorMade Tour Preferred 4-9

Wedges Gun'd 48* & Vokey 58

Putter 34" XG #7

wah wah

seriously, you probably need to chill out on golf for awhile. it seems like its bothering you way to much. i understand how you want to break 80 but you are making it harder on yourself by focusing on a number. go out there and just play without keeping score. i remember when i played competitive golf when i was a junior and even in high school. once i started to think about my score, i screwed everything up.

Nike SQ 9.5 w/ ProLaunch Red
Titliest 906F2 15
Miura 202 3-5 Irons
Miura Blade 6-PW Irons
Mizuno MP 51 & 56Yes! Tracy IINike One Black

I agree with Lemay. You are trying way to hard. Just go out and have fun, that is probably what your brother did on the 77 he shot. I'm not a great golfer but if I really try hard and worry about my score I usually shoot in the high 90s but if I just go out and have fun and try to relax then I am in the low 90s or upper 80s. Golf is way more of a mental game then a physical game. Find the clubs you like, work on your swing but most importantly get your mind straight before you go play a round. It sounds like you are way to wound up on golf.

If you quit, can I have your irons?

I'll fight Nassau over them.

Driver:  Speedline 9.5° w/ Grafalloy Prolaunch AXIS Red Shaft
Fairway:  '07 Burner Fairways
Irons:  Apex Edge 3-W

Wedge:  52° & 58° /  60° 588 Satin

Putter:  Anser 4

LOL..1st I'm not a quiter and wouldn't nor could I quit golf I love it too much..so the irons aren't going anywhere.right now that is! LOL

And when I play I'm a shot by shot guy, I worry more about each shot than the out come. I don't add my score up till after the round and worry more about making quality shots. It's just aggrivating when I put the work in and he hasn't and shot better. It's not wah wah thing either, it mostly boils down to talent and natural ability. I know he's got it and I don't, so I put the hard work in. Hell in hockey I know I'm on the best player on the rink but I'll work you to death and in Grappling same thing, I'll out work most opponents.

SiD

WITB
What's in SiD's bag

Ogio Stand Bag
Driver
910D3 9.5 set to 8.5
907D2 9.5 VS Proto Stif

Putter 34" XG #7

and in Grappling same thing, I'll out work most opponents.

What's grappling? Is it kind of like wrestling?

Driver:  Speedline 9.5° w/ Grafalloy Prolaunch AXIS Red Shaft
Fairway:  '07 Burner Fairways
Irons:  Apex Edge 3-W

Wedge:  52° & 58° /  60° 588 Satin

Putter:  Anser 4

it's submission wrestling, more along the lines of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. I'm hoping to get back to it and competing, I was training more along the lines of MMA or UFC type training. I'm 37, so I don't need to get hit in the head anymore (I used to box), but the grappling is more along my lines right now.

SiD

WITB
What's in SiD's bag

Ogio Stand Bag
Driver
910D3 9.5 set to 8.5
907D2 9.5 VS Proto Stif

Putter 34" XG #7

Here's a highlight from a grapplers quest competition in Va.

WITB
What's in SiD's bag

Ogio Stand Bag
Driver
910D3 9.5 set to 8.5
907D2 9.5 VS Proto Stif

Putter 34" XG #7

Oh, my Avatar is a pic of me @ an event in Wildwood NJ, the guy cut out of the pic is a good buddy of mine who I helped get ready for his 1st event for NAGA. I helped him with strategy and diet to cut weight for the event, he walked around at about 210 I got him down to 190 I believe. He didn't do bad for his 1st event 2 wins out of 4 matches.

SiD

WITB
What's in SiD's bag

Ogio Stand Bag
Driver
910D3 9.5 set to 8.5
907D2 9.5 VS Proto Stif

Putter 34" XG #7

Well, it sounds like you could kick his @$$!!!!!

Here's what you do....if he's gonna break 80, just round-house him to the head....! :)

Good luck...with your game!
In My Datrek Bag:

Driver: R9-460 9.5°
Woods: Burner 15°
Hybrids: Burner 3,4,5Irons: G10 Gap - 5 ironWedges: cg15: chrome, 56° 60°Putter: Studio Newport 2GPS Unit: Push Cart: 2.0

Dude, I know your frustration. I was watching some video of my swing last year and I kept thinking I was fixing the swing and making it better but really I still had one big fault in it that was causing inconsistency.

Think of these things.
1) Your goal was 79 once and you hit 80 once. - don't beat yourself up. that's close
2) All the practice you've logged will pay off in short game and experience.

I'm going to guess that you're losing strokes on your long game, just a guess, penalty strokes etc. if that's the case, use the winter to fix the faults.

Step back, relax and don't rush things. You're not going pro even if you want to, you want to be a good amateur, right? Use the off season to get things going, the hard work will pay off and you'll beat that 77. I'm in the same boat as you in lots of respects. I was lucky enough to have some good rounds that I met my scoring goals a couple times this season. If you practice lots and don't have success you need to be honest on your evaluation. How are you practicing? Does the practice mimic play?

You'll get it, but the cliche is true, just relax and play.

Swing = Stacked and On Plane when possible.
In My Bag:
Driver: Ping G5 9° Alidila NV 75g Stiff
3-Wood: Nike SQ 15° Diamana Stiff (Stock)
Irons: NIKE FORGED SPLIT CAVIY (S300)Wedges: Taylormade RAC Fe2O3 (Rust) 52°/56°/60°Putter: Titleist/Cameron Newport 1.5Ball: Looking for a new...

Patience is a virtue…below is from Bob Rotella’s book “The Golf of Your Dreams” :

First you have to admit to yourself that you want to be good and that you have the talent to play well. Second, you must commit yourself to a process that will, over time, improve your game. You will need patience . You will need perseverance . But you can improve. Maybe you can get to scratch; maybe you will only get to the respectable single digits. I don’t guarantee what your final number will be, and you should stop trying to predict how far your talent will take you. I can guarantee you that if you fall in love with the process of improvement, you’ll find out how good you can get.

TEE - XCG6, 13º, Matrix Ozik HD6.1, stiff
Wilson Staff - Ci11, 3-SW, TX Fligthed, stiff

Odyssey - Metal X #7, 35in

Wilson Staff - FG Tour ball 

Sounds like you need better course management. Most people play the same course all the time, you need to look at the holes that give you the problems and learn how to play those better. ie. a long par 4 you can't reach or keep ending up in a bunker,over swinging and losing a ball or OB, try laying up with a good shot and hitting the next one close and one putt. play the holes for par anyway you can and don't take chances, a bogie is better than a dlb bogie. end the end you should be in the 70's.

R7 9.5 S Shaft
560 R7 quad R shaft
RAC LT irons
Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum

Best philosophy I've heard on golf is that "Golf is a game of mistakes." So on a second shot on a long Par 4, even if you put it on inch by the hole it's still a mistake. To be correct you would have put it in the hole. I've found that as soon as I accept that it takes a lot of pressure of me.

Not sure if that helps but worth thinking about.

Kevin

-------
In the Bag
Driver: G15 9.0*3 & 5 Wood: BurnerHybrid: Pro Gold 20*; 23*Irons: MP-58 (5-PW)Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled 52*8; 56*14Putter: Newport 2.0 33"Balls: NXT

Are you my brother-in-law? J/K

My biggest tip for a boxer turned grappler is to check your posture, work on your balance (posture will help) and get rid of any tension, especially in your grip. Be like water...but with good posture.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Thanks guys! good advice, good tips and a great quote! I will be working very hard that's for sure..

And I have to say this, I know when I'm getting ready to go play I feel like I'm getting ready for a fight LOL..it's nuts, I can't sleep the night before, I'm geeked up like you wouldn't believe even when I'm mellowed out. My buddies are like damn you look so intense... I hate that! but sometimes it's good, I get to channel my thoughts into a single view.
I know my faults, and I'm working hard on them... consistency in game and preperation is the key.

SiD

WITB
What's in SiD's bag

Ogio Stand Bag
Driver
910D3 9.5 set to 8.5
907D2 9.5 VS Proto Stif

Putter 34" XG #7

Go on Amazon.com and buy the book "Golf is not a Game of Perfect." Buy it used for like two or three bucks, it will help you out big time, take that putter out of your hand for a few days and read the book, then go out and do your thing. Good luck.
Driver-Taylor Made R7 460cc 10.5* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Fairway Wood-Taylor Made R7 Draw 15* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Hybrid Taylor Made 19* Rescue Mid Steel Stiff
4-PW-Golfsmith G40 TT Lite XL Stiff
GW-Ben Hogan Riviera 8* Bounce 50*SW-Ben Hogan Riviera Medium Bounce 56*LW-Cleveland 60* 588 ChromePutter-Taylo...

or Every Shot Must Have a Purpose . You're making the same mistakes I used to. Your score is NOT a controllable goal. Focus on goals you can achieve: e.g., "use good balance on every shot," "don't rush through my pre-shot routine," etc.... When you achieve those goals, the others will follow.

Nothing in the swing is done at the expense of balance.

Note: This thread is 6036 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!