IGNORED

My Swing (greenr4)

greenr4
Note: This thread is 3126 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello everyone! I wanted my first post to be a swing video so here it is....

I've been Playing Golf for: 7 years
My current handicap index or average score is: 10.2
My typical ball flight is: Some days its a 10 yard draw, some days its straight.
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: The straight push and the quick hook.

I'm aware of the ball flight laws, and know that my club face relative to path must be square or closed, but I'm stuck on how to fix it. I'm also battling a lot of inconsistency, so I want to have a consistent shot shape.

Welcome to the site.

I'd recommend doing three things.

- Move the ball further forward for the driver, ball is too far back. Put it up off your left toe.
- Get the eyes down at address.
Good Golf Posture (How to Address the Golf Ball)
- Don't let that trail elbow/upper arm get behind you on the backswing.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Welcome to the site.

I'd recommend doing three things.

- Move the ball further forward for the driver, ball is too far back. Put it up off your left toe.
- Get the eyes down at address.
Good Golf Posture (How to Address the Golf Ball)
- Don't let that trail elbow/upper arm get behind you on the backswing.

I really appreciate the help. I tried the eyes more centered, and placed the ball more forward with the driver with better results. Is there a drill I can do to make sure that my right elbow stays in the correct position? I tried to do this, and it felt a little different so that means its working. I just want to get it more consistent.

Also, I still had a couple hooks creeping into my round. Could this be because my weight is hanging back? That seemed to be the feel I was getting but I want to be sure. 

(edited)

I really appreciate the help. I tried the eyes more centered, and placed the ball more forward with the driver with better results. Is there a drill I can do to make sure that my right elbow stays in the correct position? I tried to do this, and it felt a little different so that means its working. I just want to get it more consistent.

Put a tee or a glove in your right arm pit and start off by making slow swings then work you way up to full speed. The swing will feel very short/compact.

Also, I still had a couple hooks creeping into my round. Could this be because my weight is hanging back? That seemed to be the feel I was getting but I want to be sure. 

I think that will improve as the elbow gets better and with the set-up stuff.

Keep us updated and post more videos when you can.

Edited by mvmac

Mike McLoughlin

I think that will improve as the elbow gets better and with the set-up stuff.

Keep us updated and post more videos when you can.

I'll work on this stuff and try to get some videos up in the next week or two. Thanks again for the help! 

Good swing your problem is your to tall jk:-) Yes welcome you have a good swing What your doing is lightly cutting across the ball with a closed face or square. I did this for years and still do at times the result it your hitting the outside of the ball with a 10 yard draw or straight. Check out Kuchar here a tall man that adopted a flatter swing for a better approach. If it's not your video then you look like your 6-2 at least right? Anyway this video is saying tiger has more power but the idea here is finding a happy medium of to much of an upright swing and a bit flatter.

Edited by Mike Boatright

Good swing your problem is your to tall jk:-) Yes welcome you have a good swing What your doing is lightly cutting across the ball with a closed face or square. I did this for years and still do at times the result it your hitting the outside of the ball with a 10 yard draw or straight. Check out Kuchar here a tall man that adopted a flatter swing for a better approach. If it's not your video then you look like your 6-2 at least right? Anyway this video is saying tiger has more power but the idea here is finding a happy medium of to much of an upright swing and a bit flatter.

Hey thanks for the video! I am 6'4 and I understand the idea of getting a little flatter in the backswing. I think one of my problems may be my club length? Right now I'm not frustrated enough to make a complete swing plane change, but if the inconsistency keeps up I may go to a flatter swing. 

Right on swing plane is also dictated by how much or how little bend you have at address. Find what's right you know not to much or to little knee flex and not standing up to tall. For you I recommend a little more flex in the knees and more vertical bend over with your spine. Then swing it it will automatically flatten out your swing and you will have more down though it and less coming out of it. Maybe try this if it sucks then go back to what your doing now and find it good luck.

Edited by Mike Boatright

Right on swing plane is also dictated by how much or how little bend you have at address. Find what's right you know not to much or to little knee flex and not standing up to tall. For you I recommend a little more flex in the knees and more vertical bend over with your spine. Then swing it it will automatically flatten out your swing and you will have more down though it and less coming out of it. Maybe try this if it sucks then go back to what your doing now and find it good luck.

I was actually just looking at a PGA tour swing and thought I could have a little more flex in my knees. Unfortunately they just closed the range for the season this week...even though it was 75* today. I'll do some more work and tinkering and post another video.

• Upvote 1

I haven't been able to practice the drills much but here is a swing from today. After watching back I realize my eyes are still not directly at the ball.

Yeah try to get work on the eyes and films some swings of you doing that.

Mike McLoughlin

Yeah try to get work on the eyes and films some swings of you doing that.

I was unable to record a swing, but I really focused on my eyes today and had my best ball striking round of the year. I guess I didn't understand how much that affected the golf swing. If the weather allows I'll try to have a video up sometime this week

I was unable to record a swing, but I really focused on my eyes today and had my best ball striking round of the year. I guess I didn't understand how much that affected the golf swing. If the weather allows I'll try to have a video up sometime this week

Great to hear!

Mike McLoughlin

Note: This thread is 3126 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!