IGNORED

RBI vs. RBIs = Plural of Runs Batted In

JP golf
Note: This thread is 3113 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Runs Batted In  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the proper way to say...

• Lucas Duda had 5 RBI by the second inning
    • Lucas Duda had 5 RBIs by the second Inning

Nope.

MPH
RBI
RPM
BPM
BB
HR

I don't think those last two fit your list there.  All of the others have in common that when spelled out, the first word is the one that gets pluralized.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

This site (http://www.grammarphobia.com/blog/2009/09/batting-practice.html) points out that the dictionary indicates RBI and RBIs to be acceptable, but that RBIs is preferred. I think the distinction in how it is perceived stems from whether the initialism is for a unit of measurement (e.g., MPH, RPM) or if it is short for a thing itself, of which there may be more than one (e.g., RBIs, POWs, HRs). Consequently, I don't have an issue with pluralizing the initialism. As for the labels of the columns in stat lines, I think they're referring with the initialism to the singular form; as in, this this the Run Batted In column, or the Home Run column, much as we talk about the Win column and not the Wins column in standings. 

Good Stuff.  I'm really good with either way but I do want to know what is the proper way to refer to Runs Batted In.

JP

In the bag:  R1 Diver, Rocketballz 3 tour spoon (13*), Adams A12 pro 18* hybrid, 4-P Callaway Razr x black (dg s400 shafts), 50* & 58* Ping Tour S, and TM Ghost Manta Putter cut down to 32". and my Tour V2 Rangefinder (with extra batteries of course)!  Ball - Srixon Z Star XV

Who are Mike and Mike? I don't get your post bud. 

So I was watching Mike and Mike a while back and the question came up about the plural use of Runs Batted In.  You wouldn't say "I had 5 Runs Batted Ins last night", you would say "I had 5 Runs Batted In last night".  Now when we use the acronym RBI it completely changes for most people.  Even I say "I have 5 RBIs last night".  Which is the proper way?  It's like fish vs. fish vs. fishes...  

Someone help me here lol...

Who are Mike and Mike? Is that a thing in Virginia? 

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

• Administrator

Who are Mike and Mike? I don't get your post bud. 

Who are Mike and Mike? Is that a thing in Virginia? 

A radio and TV show on ESPN. You could Google it. :-)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

A radio and TV show on ESPN. You could Google it. :-)

Cool thanks. Are they any good? I live in Toronto which is one of the biggest media markets in NA, so I was thinking they were a small time act as I've never heard of them. Assumed they were a local, small time deal, let me know it that's not the case. Cheers   

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

• Administrator

Cool thanks. Are they any good? I live in Toronto which is one of the biggest media markets in NA, so I was thinking they were a small time act as I've never heard of them. Assumed they were a local, small time deal, let me know it that's not the case. Cheers   

Once more with feeling… feel free to Google it.

image.thumb.png.74569f74cbed96835560b566

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Googled them -  they got 3 of 5 stars on the site I looked at - seem pretty mediocre for whatever it is that their deal is. Lots of options available to sports fans. Thanks but no thanks to mike & mike. :) 

(edited)

I like Mike and Mike.  I turn it on every morning as I get ready for work on ESPN 2.  Sometimes little Mike is aggravating as can be with his high pitch voice.  Little Mike Greenberg "Greeny" is a journalist that loves sports but comes across as the whimpy spoiled kid who would never play tackle football in the church yard without pads in a pick up game but loved to trade baseball cards and talk stats.  Mike Golic is a former NFL football player that would have been the team captain of the sandlot game and the one hosting the keg party on Friday night.  They are completely different and they seem to get on each others nerves but they cover all the important (and some not so important) issues and events in sports.

Not a bad way to start the morning to get your sports in before work.  Chris Carter and others routinely make guest appearances.

Of Course- It was the Journalist Greeny who raised the questions about RBI vs. RBIs, the same way he talked about:  Is it: The Buffalo Bills IS ready to kick off VS. The Buffalo Bills ARE ready to kick off. 

Edited by JP golf

JP

In the bag:  R1 Diver, Rocketballz 3 tour spoon (13*), Adams A12 pro 18* hybrid, 4-P Callaway Razr x black (dg s400 shafts), 50* & 58* Ping Tour S, and TM Ghost Manta Putter cut down to 32". and my Tour V2 Rangefinder (with extra batteries of course)!  Ball - Srixon Z Star XV

Note: This thread is 3113 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!