IGNORED

Advice Needed... NC golf trip

Big_M
Note: This thread is 5742 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am going to be in Chrarlotte for almost two weeks at the end of February and the first week of March, staying with family. My wife and I would like to take a three day trip to the Sandhills / Pinehurst Area to play some golf. I am looking for suggestions on which courses to play. But, keep these things in mind...

-price... need to keep it affordable
-I am relocating to the area, so eventually I will get to play ALL the GOOD / EXPENSIVE ones
-want to play at least one Donald Ross
-my wife... not a ton of forced carries, etc. (so not Tobacco Road)
-I like more traditional courses
-probably 3-4 18 hole rounds

courses I'm thinking about...
-Hyland Hills
-The Carolina
-Little River
-The Pit
-Seven Lakes
-Southern Pines
-Whispering Pines
-Beacon Ridge
-Longleaf
-Foxfire

any opinions much appreciated!
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

I am from Central Ohio and have played the Asheville area, the Winston Salem Area, and the coastal area. It depends on what time of year you are going. When are you planning your trip? The area between Asheville and Winston Salem off I-77 is loaded with nice courses at great prices. Try the website www.ncgolftrails.com

I'm definately looking to play the Sandhills area, not just anywhere... It is my understanding that the area has its own unique flavor. I am mainly curious if anyone has played some of the courses on the above list, and if so, which ones did they like/dislike, and why?
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

You must play Pine Needles - both courses. Donald Ross courses owned by Peggy Kirk Bell. You can stay there, too.

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 10.5 stiff
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

The only good thing about The Pit is the fish chowder at the turn.

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

Most of the courses you listed are pretty ordinary...but Pine Needles is excellent. Pinehurst #2 is worth the price, and definitely hire a caddy. #8 is good also, most of the others are just fair. Keith Hills CC in Buies Creek is not too far away and it is excellent. Duke U course is about an hour away and is great also.

Taylormade Tour Burner, 2008 9.5, Fujikura Reax 60 stiff shaft, 2 degrees open
Callawy Heavenwood, 14 degree Hybrid, stock shaft
Titleist 585H, 17 and 21 degree Hybrids, Aldila Stiff 85 shafts
Titleist Tour 4-PW, Dynamic Gold s300
Titeist Vokey Spin Milled 56 and 60 degreeMaxfli Crossbax 5.0Top...

• Administrator
-Longleaf

Longleaf wasn't bad. I know the designer, had dinner with him there and got a tour, so it's a bit more special to me... but you listed some fairly inexpensive courses, and that was one of them. If you're looking for just $50/round, most of the ones you listed will probably be fine.

I second the opinions re: Pine Needles. If I was given 10 rounds to play in Pinehurst and I could play courses at Pine Needles, Mid Pines, and any of Pinehurst's courses, I'd play eight rounds at Pine Needles, one at Mid Pines, and one at Pinehurst #2. #2 is drastically over-rated. Pine Needles blows it out of the water. The only thing Pinehurst's got on it are the U.S. Opens... and really, how much does Michael Campbell matter? So suddenly all it has is one famous U.S. Open. Pine Needles is the better course. If I had one course to play the rest of my life, Pine Needles would be in the top three.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

yeah... I've heard Pine Needles is better than #2... and I will certainly eventually play both of them. I may be able to squeeze Needles into the budget since it is only about half the price of #2... probably $150ish. If I don't play them now, as I said... I'm relocating to Charlotte so I will get to them evetually. I just wanted to hear if there were any courses that I should avoid, or if one of these cheaper ones was significantly better than another.

yeah... I've heard Pine Needles is better than #2... and I will certainly eventually play both of them. I may be able to squeeze Needles into the budget since it is only about half the price of #2... probably $150ish. If I don't play them now, as I said... I'm relocating to Charlotte so I will get to them evetually. I just wanted to hear if there were any courses that I should avoid, or if one of these cheaper ones was significantly better than another.

As I recall, Pine Needles and Mid Pines were around $100. I think Pinehurst #2 is priced about as high as Pebble Beach (around 275). The only way I could enjoy that round would be to shoot 64 and that ain't happenin'. Watching the other golf deprived souls from the Veranda at Pinehurst, it seemed 8 was a routine score on the 18th.

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:

As I recall, Pine Needles and Mid Pines were around $100. I think Pinehurst #2 is priced about as high as Pebble Beach (around 275). The only way I could enjoy that round would be to shoot 64 and that ain't happenin'. Watching the other golf deprived souls from the Veranda at Pinehurst, it seemed 8 was a routine score on the 18th.

Played there about 18 months ago and while some think it is over rated, I loved it. I played well so that helped...and made a par at 18 at that!

Taylormade Tour Burner, 2008 9.5, Fujikura Reax 60 stiff shaft, 2 degrees open
Callawy Heavenwood, 14 degree Hybrid, stock shaft
Titleist 585H, 17 and 21 degree Hybrids, Aldila Stiff 85 shafts
Titleist Tour 4-PW, Dynamic Gold s300
Titeist Vokey Spin Milled 56 and 60 degreeMaxfli Crossbax 5.0Top...

Played there about 18 months ago and while some think it is over rated, I loved it. I played well so that helped...and made a par at 18 at that!

I am not saying Pinehurst #2 is over-rated. I think I meant I can't afford it. It may be a while before I can say anything about it. Glad you got around it with your self-esteem intact. Watching those guys I saw, well, they looked haggard.

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:

• Administrator
As I recall, Pine Needles and Mid Pines were around $100.

Probably more like $180 and $100.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Play Mid Pines if Possible. Mid South is a great Palmer design right down Midland Road from Mid Pines and Pine Needles. Some other great courses in the area listed in order of greatness.

Tobacco Road
Mid Pines
Mid South
Little River
The Pit

Have Fun!!!

Pine Needles is very nice if it's in your price range (check the various courses websites for specials). Played the Pit many years ago and it was very "tricked-up", played it last year and it was much better. I've played the Carolina many times and like it. Forget Keith Hills ... I've played it many times and will do so again (it's cheap), but it's not "golf trip" material. Also wouldn't bother with Hyland Hills or Foxfire.

I'd recommend The Carolina, Legacy, Pineneedles, Pinehurst 2 or 8. The Plantation course is nice too (can't remember if its gone private or not ... played it years ago). Anyhow, check to see if they have any special rate and have fun. Pinehurst is a great area.

Booked it today... playing...

1) Pine Needles
2) Legacy
3) Whispering Pines
maybe squeeze in another

thanks for all the input fellas!

-price... need to keep it affordable

Tobacco Road is my absolute favorite course. It's not as bad as you would think as far as the forced carries, etc., but I've never paid attention to the ladies tees. If you don't want to play Tobacco Road, I wouldn't consider The Pit either. Same sort of concept, except TR is more like The Pit on steroids. Hyland Hills is one of the best plays for the money in this area, especially on their afternoon rate, and always in great shape. Little River is spectacular...of course my cousin is the superintendent. There are a couple shots over water there, but I think the ladies are safe

Founder,
The Sand Trap Tour
Central NC's affordable amateur tour

But in the end it's still a game of golf, and if at the end of the day you can't shake hands with your opponents and still be friends, then you've missed the point. ~Payne Stewart

I am not saying Pinehurst #2 is over-rated. I think I meant I can't afford it. It may be a while before I can say anything about it. Glad you got around it with your self-esteem intact. Watching those guys I saw, well, they looked haggard.

Pinehurst #2.....hmmmmm...how do we rate this? This course is wide open, and not really that hard......until you get to the green. Even a bad tee shot into the pines can be recovered, but those greens!! We also MUST remember, that a US Open set up for # 2 is much, much different than an everyday set up. There is no way they can maintain that course year round the way it is set up for the Open.

Pinehurst # 2, to me, is more about the tradition of golf. There are courses I have enjoyed more, but none, that I have played, that I have respected more. Factor in that one of the greatest moments in golf (in my opinion) occured at #2 in the '99 Open, and it is hallowed ground for me. The going rate these days, with a forecaddie, I believe, is somewhere around $400 or $425. The problem is, as I understand it, you have to be a guest at Pinehurst Resort to get on, unless you know someone. I have only been there on a business outing. Pinehurst # 8 is a GREAT course, and is actually preferred by a lot of the Pinehurst employees and locals.

Founder,
The Sand Trap Tour
Central NC's affordable amateur tour

But in the end it's still a game of golf, and if at the end of the day you can't shake hands with your opponents and still be friends, then you've missed the point. ~Payne Stewart

Tobacco Road is my absolute favorite course. It's not as bad as you would think as far as the forced carries, etc., but I've never paid attention to the ladies tees. If you don't want to play Tobacco Road, I wouldn't consider The Pit either. Same sort of concept, except TR is more like The Pit on steroids.

Tobacco Road is Strantz's mildest course in NC. Too bad his best are in SC (Caledonia & True Blue) and not closer to home. Tot Hill is nearly unplayable at times.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

Note: This thread is 5742 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!