or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Side Saddle Putting - Legal?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Side Saddle Putting - Legal?

post #1 of 29
Thread Starter 
Playing a league match the other day...

My partner uses the side saddle putting style and is deadly. I mean anything from less than 10-15 feet is dead in the cup.

We were playing a team of hot-shots that shoot good golf but like to brag more about it. I took my match 11-9, while my partner smoked his opponent 19-1. The next day, my partner's opponent cornered me in the parking lot and accused my partner of illegal putting. I blew it off and said, "I think you got stung and are looking for the excuse to take the pain away."

He said that he can remember that Sam Snead tried a similar putting style back in the day and the PGA made him stop; hence, it's illegal and, though this guy wasn't going to turn in my partner, he wanted me to tell him it's unfair and someone is going to nail him in tournament play one day.

I brushed him off and reminded him that this guy is the perfect gentleman and a credit to the game. I was fuming as I drove home and immediately tried to find something about it in the rule book... if it's there I can't see it.

Anyone out there got a ruling?
post #2 of 29

Re: Side Saddle Putting - Legal?

Snead putted croquet style and they outlawed it after that. Side saddle putting is legal as long as you do not straddle the line of the putt.

Its covered under rule 16-1e.
post #3 of 29
Thread Starter 

Re: Side Saddle Putting - Legal?

Originally Posted by The Birdieman View Post
Snead putted croquet style and they outlawed it after that. Side saddle putting is legal as long as you do not straddle the line of the putt.

Its covered under rule 16-1e.
Perfect... the operative word - straddling the line of the putt.

My partner stands to the left of the line and pushes the ball forward in a croquet fashion.

PS... Oh, there it is... Rule 16-1e... Standing Astride or on Line of Putt

Thanks!
post #4 of 29

Re: Side Saddle Putting - Legal?

Originally Posted by iQuest Golfer View Post
I brushed him off and reminded him that this guy is the perfect gentleman and a credit to the game.
Rule 16-1e:

Source: Rules of Golf
e. Standing Astride or on Line of Putt

The player must not make a stroke on the putting green from a stance astride, or with either foot touching, the line of putt or an extension of that line behind the ball.

Exception: There is no penalty if the stance is inadvertently taken on or astride the line of putt (or an extension of that line behind the ball) or is taken to avoid standing on another player's line of putt or prospective line of putt.



You can putt hammY style, facing the target, so long as both of your feet are on the same side of the line. Snead putted that style after he was told not to do the "astride the line" thing.

To be clear:
Legal

Illegal
post #5 of 29
Thread Starter 

Re: Side Saddle Putting - Legal?

Originally Posted by iacas View Post
To be clear:
Legal
Your visual says it all... he's legal.
post #6 of 29

Re: Side Saddle Putting - Legal?

Side Saddle means to sit aside rather then astride.
post #7 of 29

Re: Side Saddle Putting - Legal?

As it has been said, it is in-fact legal.

My swing coach is a side-saddle'er, and I might convert, like the OP said, inside like 15 feet I'm deadly.
post #8 of 29

Re: Side Saddle Putting - Legal?

I used to putt in a funky fashion and was alot better than I am now but I switched to a normal stance because so many people said I would lower my scores if I did it the correct way.

Basically back foot was in a normal position but the front foot was completely open at perpendiclar perpindicular to the back foot. Is it legal?

View the attached diagram.
LL
post #9 of 29

Re: Side Saddle Putting - Legal?

TinCupTampa,

Yes, that stance is legal.

S-
post #10 of 29

Re: Side Saddle Putting - Legal?

the usga was rude when they passed the "no straddle rule" also know as the "screw sam snead rule". don't see why they had to pass a rule just the way one person was putting.

what the usga did to sam snead rivals what the r&a did to walter travis and his schenectady putter, what a travisty
post #11 of 29

Re: Side Saddle Putting - Legal?

Originally Posted by TinCupTampa View Post
the correct way

there is no "correct way", only different theories and approaches to hitting the ball.
post #12 of 29

Re: Side Saddle Putting - Legal?

I putted sidesaddle for awhile, and it kept me from quitting the game. I had a caddie at Chambers Bay try to tell me it was illegal too. I didn't tip him very well.
post #13 of 29

Re: Side Saddle Putting - Legal?

I tried it for a little while years ago, but it seemed to me that I needed a putter with a more vertical shaft than normal to get the full benefit of it. Not straight up and down, but close to the same angle as the long putters. I didn't putt that way very long.
post #14 of 29

Re: Side Saddle Putting - Legal?

The story goes that Sam was practicing out at Augusta and Bobby Jones himself went by and saw sam putting that way. He was furious, calling it an insult to the game. He reported it to the PGA and insisted they rule it illegal.
So Sam just figured out another way around the new rule.
post #15 of 29

Re: Side Saddle Putting - Legal?

Originally Posted by Smallville View Post
I tried it for a little while years ago, but it seemed to me that I needed a putter with a more vertical shaft than normal to get the full benefit of it. Not straight up and down, but close to the same angle as the long putters. I didn't putt that way very long.
reeso-cook makes a putter especially for side-saddle putting
post #16 of 29

Re: Side Saddle Putting - Legal?

ganja-

I actually have a long putter I used in the very early 90's when my back was really bad. Haven't used it in over 15 years but it might work . . . .might be a little long but it could always be cut down. I think I'll try it and experiment a little. I hate to give up the See-More but since I only carry 13 clubs anyway . . . plus, having a long putter would be great for when I need to measure one- or two-club lengths!
post #17 of 29

Re: Side Saddle Putting - Legal?

Originally Posted by Smallville View Post
ganja-

I actually have a long putter I used in the very early 90's when my back was really bad. Haven't used it in over 15 years but it might work . . . .might be a little long but it could always be cut down. I think I'll try it and experiment a little. I hate to give up the See-More but since I only carry 13 clubs anyway . . . plus, having a long putter would be great for when I need to measure one- or two-club lengths!
theorists are now advising that side-saddle putters be long, for instance, the recomended length for a 6' person is 51', different than when sam snead crotched over the ball
post #18 of 29

Re: Side Saddle Putting - Legal?

Originally Posted by kc8kir View Post
The story goes that Sam was practicing out at Augusta and Bobby Jones himself went by and saw sam putting that way. He was furious, calling it an insult to the game. He reported it to the PGA and insisted they rule it illegal.
So Sam just figured out another way around the new rule.
thank you, could never figure out why the pga acted so, still is a stupid rule
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Side Saddle Putting - Legal?