or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Member Swings › My Swing (LongballGer)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My Swing (LongballGer)

post #1 of 49
Thread Starter 

Had my first lesson today after 10 years when I first started. I'm completely self taught.

The pro told me that my swing looks killer, but that I should have even grip pressure throughout the swing and that I should change a couple of things about my posture. I'm hitting a six iron here...

What do you guys think?

post #2 of 49

Re: My Swing (video)

Hmmm, some personal opinion and stuff. I think that your stance, especially with a six iron could be a little wider, like a width of a foot. This would help with balance a little bit. As far as the swing, nothing really catches my attention until I scrutinized impact. I paused and found maybe the only flaw in the swing. If you stop it you can see that you are falling behind the ball. This could contribute to a higher ball flight, but a natural high flight would come from compressing the ball with your head and upper body stacked on top or over the ball and shaft leaning forward slightly. Great swing otherwise though, just wondering, how old are you? I am 16, almost 17 and have played for 2.5 years. I have been all self taught until I started going to GolfTec two months ago. It's just a thought if you have one in the area and are committed to getting better. Good Luck!
post #3 of 49
Thread Starter 

Re: My Swing (video)

Originally Posted by Young Golf Prodigy View Post
Hmmm, some personal opinion and stuff. I think that your stance, especially with a six iron could be a little wider, like a width of a foot. This would help with balance a little bit. As far as the swing, nothing really catches my attention until I scrutinized impact. I paused and found maybe the only flaw in the swing. If you stop it you can see that you are falling behind the ball. This could contribute to a higher ball flight, but a natural high flight would come from compressing the ball with your head and upper body stacked on top or over the ball and shaft leaning forward slightly. Great swing otherwise though, just wondering, how old are you? I am 16, almost 17 and have played for 2.5 years. I have been all self taught until I started going to GolfTec two months ago. It's just a thought if you have one in the area and are committed to getting better. Good Luck!
Thanks. I'm 19.

My typical miss is a high slice. What could be the reason for that?

If you stop it you can see that you are falling behind the ball. This could contribute to a higher ball flight, but a natural high flight would come from compressing the ball with your head and upper body stacked on top or over the ball and shaft leaning forward slightly.
The thing is that I have extremely fast hips and hands which makes it almost impossible not to fall behind the ball at impact. I hit it high, but if I want to hit it lower I just play a punch shot. That does the trick.
post #4 of 49

Re: My Swing (video)

Your stance is a bit too narrow, considering your height. Look at how wide tiger is with his irons. This is causing your right foot to roll a bit at the top of your backswing...see you last shot. Good luck
post #5 of 49

Re: My Swing (video)

dang! that looked like Tiger in the green shirt! (2nd swing in video)
post #6 of 49

Re: My Swing (video)

Try chipping and pitching at distances about 30 - 50 yards and if you notice you chips go to the right and you make the correction with your chipping stroke, you will find that if you translate the chipping stroke into your full swing that it will improve your ball striking.
post #7 of 49

Re: My Swing (video)

Maybe not Tiger nor JMO, but still a pretty good looking swing!

I'd say that the tempo certainly compares to Tiger, with your first swing and his examply in the second. At least through impact.

The JMO reference fails me. A lot of shoulder movement in that rear view of your swing compare to his.

But again, looks pretty solid.

I think white belts should be banned from golf as well. Let's make that, the planet... You won't see Tiger wearing one.
post #8 of 49
Thread Starter 

Re: My Swing (video)

Originally Posted by Ben View Post
Maybe not Tiger nor JMO, but still a pretty good looking swing!

I'd say that the tempo certainly compares to Tiger, with your first swing and his examply in the second. At least through impact.

The JMO reference fails me. A lot of shoulder movement in that rear view of your swing compare to his.

But again, looks pretty solid.

I think white belts should be banned from golf as well. Let's make that, the planet... You won't see Tiger wearing one.
Well, that's the vid the pro I took the lesson from sent me. I don't know why he put tiger and JMO on there.

Any idea what causes the slice?

About the belt...somewhere Camillo is crying now...
post #9 of 49

Re: My Swing (video)

Originally Posted by LongballGer View Post
Well, that's the vid the pro I took the lesson from sent me. I don't know why he put tiger and JMO on there.

Any idea what causes the slice?

About the belt...somewhere Camillo is crying now...
Slice or fade? I don't see that swing of yours producing a slice, at least not from the example you posted. Perhaps a slight over the top fade though.

As I briefly mentioned, you have a lot of shoulder movement at the top of your swing. Not shoulder turn, because that's what the swing needs, and yours has. I'm talking a movement of your upper body. Looks like you sway away (towards your back) a little at the top, then as you start your downswing, your shoulders find their way back to the proper position. It is my theory that once you get to the top of your swing, the major movements of the downswing are taken care of by the lower body, the upper body is just along for the ride. It looks as though you come straight down the line or maybe just a hint from the outside of the swing plane on your downswing. Sure enough, that will cause a fade. Which, isn't a bad thing at all. Check out Olazabal's upper body in that swing, there is nothing but his turn back, and hit turn through. His body is in the exact same position the entire time.

As for my belt comment, don't mind me. Just one of my pet-peeves. Was a little faded when I posted my reply last night. haha.
post #10 of 49
Thread Starter 

Re: My Swing (video)

Originally Posted by Ben View Post
Slice or fade? I don't see that swing of yours producing a slice, at least not from the example you posted. Perhaps a slight over the top fade though.

As I briefly mentioned, you have a lot of shoulder movement at the top of your swing. Not shoulder turn, because that's what the swing needs, and yours has. I'm talking a movement of your upper body. Looks like you sway away (towards your back) a little at the top, then as you start your downswing, your shoulders find their way back to the proper position. It is my theory that once you get to the top of your swing, the major movements of the downswing are taken care of by the lower body, the upper body is just along for the ride. It looks as though you come straight down the line or maybe just a hint from the outside of the swing plane on your downswing. Sure enough, that will cause a fade. Which, isn't a bad thing at all. Check out Olazabal's upper body in that swing, there is nothing but his turn back, and hit turn through. His body is in the exact same position the entire time.

As for my belt comment, don't mind me. Just one of my pet-peeves. Was a little faded when I posted my reply last night. haha.
Well, I went to a different instructor and he told me to put the ball more in the middle of my stance and to have a steeper backswing.

I did just that and now I hit it straight most of the time. Thanks for the advice guys.
post #11 of 49

Re: My Swing (video)

One little thing I noticed and It may tie in with the pros comment on grip pressure, it looks as though you lose it ever so slightly at the top. Try a little extra pressure in the last two fingers of your left hand.
post #12 of 49

Re: My Swing (video)

As far as the slice goes, and this is all coming back to where your body ends up, you are probably blocking it. Your lower body is getting so far ahead of your hands that to compensate the hands release early and the ball goes higher and to the right. I play a high relatively straight 1-2 yard fade with my irons as a stock shot, and i guess i would say that the reason that you are missing it ever is because the shoulders aren't doing the work as actively as the hips. Feeling them working rhythmically and evenly has helped me a lot. This is one of my things I worry about, too. I'd love to see a follow-up if you get the chance and if you do make changes, just make sure that they work. That's the most important.
post #13 of 49
Thread Starter 

Re: My Swing (video)

Here is a lil update:

I stopped going to a pro and just corrected everything on my own. Now I take the club back way on the inside, but I always get it back on plane again. I now hit a lil baby draw and hit the ball better than ever.



post #14 of 49
Thread Starter 

My swing

Any comments?

Driver Front:



Driver DTL:



8 Iron Front:



8 Iron DTL:

post #15 of 49

Re: My swing

You will be long. Powerful swing. On the downswing, when your left arm gets exactly level to the groung, your driver clubhead is still to the right of your head -- that is amazing loading. There are slight plane changes, but so what, keep blasting them. You can learn control and finesse but learning how to load your power sources is hard -- you do that very well. What is your ball flight?
post #16 of 49
Thread Starter 

Re: My swing

Originally Posted by RC View Post
You will be long. Powerful swing. On the downswing, when your left arm gets exactly level to the groung, your driver clubhead is still to the right of your head -- that is amazing loading. There are slight plane changes, but so what, keep blasting them. You can learn control and finesse but learning how to load your power sources is hard -- you do that very well. What is your ball flight?
It's either dead straight or it's a slight draw.

My miss is a push to the right. It's because I come very far from the inside. My downswing is pretty flat, like sergios.
post #17 of 49
Thread Starter 

Re: My swing

what would be a good drill to be less flat on my downswing and keeping the right heel on the ground longer?
post #18 of 49

Re: My swing

Emulate Sergio's back swing position just before he reaches 3:00 O'Clock. You will notice the hands have worked back slightly inside before the club -- in other words, the club stays in the same "above the hands" position it had at address. This one little move, which help guard against getting trapped inside will help eliminate most pushes and it helps you keep extension.

Someone who has a good, powerful swing as natural as yours usually only have two kinds of "misses" that creap into their swings: (1) getting inside and trapped on occasion (which can result is a push or pull,) and (2) hanging back and not getting a strong enough move left. This second issue is helped by thinking that your right shoulder will be the most forward thing of your body at the finish. I try to think of that on every full shot. I imagine my back will be facing where the ball was before the shot. For some reason that helps me get left and fully released.

You don't need anything you would hear from me -- your swing is better than mine as it is. Of course there are things one person would prefer over other things, but if you can score and have a good short game, then go have fun... your swing is not going to be a major problem.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Member Swings
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Member Swings › My Swing (LongballGer)