or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › $345 Dollar Foot Joys- anyone one try them?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

$345 Dollar Foot Joys- anyone one try them?

post #1 of 28
Thread Starter 
I'm looking at golf shoes, and was happily surprised to see shoes that are made here in the USA. The foot joy Classics Dry Premiere seem to be a great golf shoe.
Here is the link:http://www.footjoy.com/catalog/mens....&s=50713&p=all

Has anyone here used them? I'm a walker of the courses I play, and I'm concerned about sore feet/ impact problems. Anyone used these? How are they if you walk the course?

Cheers!
post #2 of 28

Re: $345 Dollar Foot Joys- anyone one try them?

for $345...they better walk themselves around the course
post #3 of 28

Re: $345 Dollar Foot Joys- anyone one try them?

Good luck trying to get them. Footjoy shut down the Classics factory back in march. The only ones you will find will be on clearance.
post #4 of 28

Re: $345 Dollar Foot Joys- anyone one try them?

Originally Posted by DIRTY 30 View Post
for $345...they better walk themselves around the course
And dramatically improve your game!
post #5 of 28

Re: $345 Dollar Foot Joys- anyone one try them?

Originally Posted by chaptowngolfteam View Post
Good luck trying to get them. Footjoy shut down the Classics factory back in march. The only ones you will find will be on clearance.
That's a shame....a sign of the times.

I have my fingers crossed right now as my employer is really getting beat up hard.....I'm very concerned.
post #6 of 28

Re: $345 Dollar Foot Joys- anyone one try them?

http://www.footjoyblog.com/2009/03/0...om-jim-connor/
post #7 of 28

Re: $345 Dollar Foot Joys- anyone one try them?

You know, just the other day I was thinking, "you know what's missing from my golf game? A pair of shoes more expensive than my driver, 3-wood and golf bag combined."

Sorry, but that's such a sad waste of money for something that will not improve your game in the slightest. It's like the cult of Scotty Cameron headcover collectors. Sure they look cool, but a much cheaper one will achieve the same goal.

I got a pair of Adidas Powerband's on sale for $80 and that's about as much as I'm willing to pay for any pair of shoes. Coincidentally, they're the most comfortable pair of golf shoes I've ever had and they feel like I'm wearing sneakers around the golf course.

If I got a FootJoy contract and they paid me to wear those shoes, I'd do it, otherwise I'm good with a reasonably priced pair of comfortable shoes that do the same work.
post #8 of 28

Re: $345 Dollar Foot Joys- anyone one try them?

It is a bummer, and a sad sign of the times.

I guess people just aren't willing to shell out $345 for a pair of shoes during one of the worst recessions of our generation.
post #9 of 28

Re: $345 Dollar Foot Joys- anyone one try them?

Originally Posted by youngskip40 View Post
You know, just the other day I was thinking, "you know what's missing from my golf game? A pair of shoes more expensive than my driver, 3-wood and golf bag combined."
That's their MSRP. They typically sold for $299.

And you know what, some people like expensive shoes. Some women buy purses for $5,000 or buy shoes they wear twice a year for $2700.

$300 isn't a lot of money (to some people) for some pretty classy handmade shoes. They're works of art. You wouldn't wear $29 Payless shoes with a $3400 suit, right? Some people like to wear fancy, handmade shoes.

I've never paid $300 for golf shoes (though my models are almost all about $200 - and it's well worth it since I walk a lot), but who are you to tell other people what to spend their money on? It's like reverse snobbery.

Originally Posted by youngskip40 View Post
Sorry, but that's such a sad waste of money for something that will not improve your game in the slightest.
Why can't it just be about feeling good? I know a guy who used a coin that cost him $800 to mark his ball. It had huge sentimental value to him (something about the date on it or something), and it was really old, and it didn't do anything to improve his game or even make his walk more comfortable.

Read the comments on the FootJoy blog post I linked to earlier.
post #10 of 28

Re: $345 Dollar Foot Joys- anyone one try them?

Originally Posted by youngskip40 View Post
You know, just the other day I was thinking, "you know what's missing from my golf game? A pair of shoes more expensive than my driver, 3-wood and golf bag combined."

Sorry, but that's such a sad waste of money for something that will not improve your game in the slightest. It's like the cult of Scotty Cameron headcover collectors. Sure they look cool, but a much cheaper one will achieve the same goal.

I got a pair of Adidas Powerband's on sale for $80 and that's about as much as I'm willing to pay for any pair of shoes. Coincidentally, they're the most comfortable pair of golf shoes I've ever had and they feel like I'm wearing sneakers around the golf course.

If I got a FootJoy contract and they paid me to wear those shoes, I'd do it, otherwise I'm good with a reasonably priced pair of comfortable shoes that do the same work.
You can't realistically compare shoes to headcovers at all. If you had a chance to wear the shoes, I'm sure you would notice the difference, while headcovers are more of a collector thing with the price being driven by scarcity. Whether or not the difference is worth the cash is a matter of opinion, means, etc. There is a HUGE difference between cheap and expensive shoes. Depending on the shoes, the differences include cut, quality of materials and construction, comfort, waterproofness, and more.

You are willing to pay $80 for shoes because you feel they are a lot better than $40 shoes. Well, the next guy is willing to pay $160 because they are a lot better than $80 shoes.

Sorry if I come across as critical, but for you to say it is a "sad waste of money" merely shows that you think you know how to spend other peoples money more than them. You don't rank shoes as important, we get that. Other people put a higher value it.
post #11 of 28

Re: $345 Dollar Foot Joys- anyone one try them?

Iacas, our replys are 1 minute apart and I swear I hadn't read yours before I posted mine!

I cringed terribly the first time I bought a pair of Ecco shoes. I really didn't want to spend that much money on shoes. But after wearing them, I wouldn't go back to cheaper shoes. They actually 'broke in' to my feet better than any other pair of shoes I've ever worn. They have held up longer, with better quality of materials, stitching, etc. They are quality made shoes.
post #12 of 28

Re: $345 Dollar Foot Joys- anyone one try them?

Ive heard very good things about ecco shoes as well. They might be the only shoes i would spend more than $200 for. I personally dont care much about nice on the links, i want what i wear to perform first. So i just cant see the justification for these when FJ's e-comfort line will probably do the same job for me.
post #13 of 28

Re: $345 Dollar Foot Joys- anyone one try them?

Heck, my $50.00 FootJoy ecomforts are the most comfortable shoes I've ever owned, athletic or otherwise. I can buy 7 pairs for that kind of money and I would probably die of old age with a few pairs unused.
post #14 of 28

Re: $345 Dollar Foot Joys- anyone one try them?

I just got a $200 MSRP Ecco shoes for $70 on ebay including shipping.

Are they better than my previous $45 shoes? Sure are. Will they improve my game? I actually think so. No sore feet at the end of the round. Maybe a little more bounce in my step. Will I drop 10 strokes? Sure, if I practice enough.

Granted, I too have a hard time buying $200+ shoes. The wife has to push me into getting them. Then again, I now have several pairs and they are really a lot better than even $100 ones. I can say the same thing for suits -- your first tailored suit is really a wonderful item to wear. Sometime a more expensive item is really better and really worth the price.

Luckily this does not apply to everything.
post #15 of 28

Re: $345 Dollar Foot Joys- anyone one try them?

I agree, it's funny to watch. I know a guy who wears the nicest clothes and shoes money can buy and plays cheap rickety Walmart clubs and topflite balls while teeing it up on courses that cost $125 a round and has a bar tab of $50 every round... It's so strange, and the guy really believes buying clubs and balls is a waste of money.. But plays 4 days a week. But like Erik said, to each his own.. It's what makes you happy

Honestly, classics were the prov1 of shoes, sorry to see them go
post #16 of 28

Re: $345 Dollar Foot Joys- anyone one try them?

My daddy taught me there were two things to never skimp on... your shoes and your mattress. :)
post #17 of 28

Re: $345 Dollar Foot Joys- anyone one try them?

Originally Posted by iacas View Post
That's their MSRP. They typically sold for $299.

And you know what, some people like expensive shoes. Some women buy purses for $5,000 or buy shoes they wear twice a year for $2700.

$300 isn't a lot of money (to some people) for some pretty classy handmade shoes. They're works of art. You wouldn't wear $29 Payless shoes with a $3400 suit, right? Some people like to wear fancy, handmade shoes.

I've never paid $300 for golf shoes (though my models are almost all about $200 - and it's well worth it since I walk a lot), but who are you to tell other people what to spend their money on? It's like reverse snobbery.



Why can't it just be about feeling good? I know a guy who used a coin that cost him $800 to mark his ball. It had huge sentimental value to him (something about the date on it or something), and it was really old, and it didn't do anything to improve his game or even make his walk more comfortable.

Read the comments on the FootJoy blog post I linked to earlier.

I never told anybody what to spend their money on.

What's wrong with it? Well... well... I can't afford to do it. I am not in a position where I can even look twice at $300 shoes. I probably would have written the same response if someone had said "hey has anyone test driven the new 2010 Bentley?" Then I'd try to convince myself that my 04 Honda gets the job done just as well. (I'd only be partly right)

Heck, if I think about it, IF I had the money, and those shoes were incredibly comfortable (which I gather by those comments that they are), I probably would wear them. I can't even lie, if I had the money, I'd buy the newest Adidas shoes too. Because as the marketing geniuses (thank you, Roman Empire) of the world have taught us, newer is better and more expensive is probably better too, if only more exotic.


I'm sorry if I offended anybody, didn't mean to get anyone upset.
post #18 of 28

Re: $345 Dollar Foot Joys- anyone one try them?

Originally Posted by Monty_Ryder View Post
You can't realistically compare shoes to headcovers at all. If you had a chance to wear the shoes, I'm sure you would notice the difference, while headcovers are more of a collector thing with the price being driven by scarcity. Whether or not the difference is worth the cash is a matter of opinion, means, etc. There is a HUGE difference between cheap and expensive shoes. Depending on the shoes, the differences include cut, quality of materials and construction, comfort, waterproofness, and more.

You are willing to pay $80 for shoes because you feel they are a lot better than $40 shoes. Well, the next guy is willing to pay $160 because they are a lot better than $80 shoes.

Sorry if I come across as critical, but for you to say it is a "sad waste of money" merely shows that you think you know how to spend other peoples money more than them. You don't rank shoes as important, we get that. Other people put a higher value it.
Poor choice of words. "Sad waste of money" makes me sound like a complete jerk.

Willing to pay and able to pay are 2 totally different things, so some of us don't even consider those $160 shoes, or whatever metaphor you'd like to equate them to.

For me, those kinds of things are still reserved for "someday..."
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › $345 Dollar Foot Joys- anyone one try them?