So I have two wedges -
PW (46) - 120 (90 half swing)
SW (54) - 100 (70 half swing)
I like my yardages down through my PW (8i-150, 9i-135, PW-120). So I'm definitely happy 4i through to my PW.
Now my SW....it's 20 years old (everything else in the bag is new). And I likely hit that club more than any other as I find myself at 100 or less on most holes when I'm hitting good. My distances are super repeatable from 7i on down.
I'm really gapped out between the two, and shorter is still a game of feel. Lately, I've just tried to plan my prior shot to leave me a full swing distance on approach. I'm not really that good, though, wedge options would help take up the slack.
I have some store credit and want to fit to wedges -
- Option 1 buy 2 - keep these two and get something that hits about 90 and then get a 60 degree to finalize it. (fill in two on the short side)
- Option 2 buy 3 - ditch the SW and get the following - 105 yard, 90 yard, and a 60 degree (AW plus select three wedges with 15 yard spacing)
- Option 3 buy 2 - keep these two and get a 110 yard, and an approach (58 or 60 degree) (AW plus select three wedges with 10 yard spacing)
- Of the 4 wedges, the PW stays - that 120 yard hit is perfect for me. So it's about the 3 others.
- I want to maximize the ability to take a full swing (not too hard, not a partial)
- I need flexibility inside of 100 yards, I'm willing to put in the time to assess options for half and partial swings, vs full swings with various amounts of choking up, even marking the grips to get consistency. This is really what I'm asking (how easy is it to dial in those intervals between full swings).
- I'll hit the clubs directly to get the yardages I want rather than just assume every degree is another 2.5 yard bump
so really - the third bullet happens no matter what, but the second bullet begs the question - I'll have an approach wedge no matter what, but for the three longer wedges would you recommend stay longer with the 10 yard intervals (120/110/100) that'll leave a big gap between them and the AW? or spread it out to 15 yard intervals to get more range in the easier to hit wedges (120/105/90) - keeps all 4 spaced out decently so I'm not guessing on the span between the AW and the next one up.
Which of the three options sounds good?
Other options to think about?