or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Instruction and Playing Tips › Inconsistent speed in longer putts...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Inconsistent speed in longer putts...

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 
The greens I play are pretty fast... but outside of 30 feet I am very inconsistent with my speed... I'll get it right once... then leave it 8 feet short one hole and blow it 8 feet by the next... any way to fix that? I know practice but for the most part I don't get a lot of time as I work 12-8 or 9 most days.
post #2 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by onthehunt526 View Post

The greens I play are pretty fast... but outside of 30 feet I am very inconsistent with my speed... I'll get it right once... then leave it 8 feet short one hole and blow it 8 feet by the next... any way to fix that? I know practice but for the most part I don't get a lot of time as I work 12-8 or 9 most days.

I would read this thread:

 

Putting - DO NOT Accelerate Through the Ball
started on 05/03/14 last post 11/18/14 at 11:22pm 274 replies 25093 views

TL;DR - this post post #179 sums it all up quite nicely.

 

Playing around with how your putter is weighted can make a huge difference too.

 

 

Edit* just saw you posted this in another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthehunt526 View Post

Shorter backswing and a lot of short game practice... my speed on long putts is horrible... any suggestions
 

Hopefully the shorter backswing comment is in reference to your full golf swing where a shorter backswing can be beneficial and not your putting, where a shorter backswing will actually lead to a lot of inconsistencies in your ability to control speed.

post #3 of 8
Thread Starter 
Full swing on the shorter backswing part... but I'll see if that helps
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by onthehunt526 View Post

Full swing on the shorter backswing part... but I'll see if that helps

Ok good.

 

Yeah, read the thread I linked above. Go to the practice green and try making a backswing that feels too long for your putts and see what happens. Should feel a little floaty but once you get the hang of it you should see distance control improve and likely dramatically.

post #5 of 8

Without seeing your technique and rhythm it's hard to give a definite answer but here are a few suggestions:
1) Practice downhill putts more than uphill. They are 3-putted more often.
2) Try putting with your rear hand only. This is good practice to develop feel.
3) Make sure you have a consistent ball position and one that is forward of center to promote top spin.
4) Make your back swing and follow through are one motion and resist the urge to have sudden acceleration at any point in the stroke. 
5) Consider a fat grip. It may take your wrists out of the stroke and allow you to use only the big muscles of your back and shoulders.

post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post

 

Putting - DO NOT Accelerate Through the Ball
started on 05/03/14 last post 11/18/14 at 11:22pm 274 replies 25093 views

TL;DR - this post post #179 sums it all up quite nicely.

 

 

Yep try to make the backswing length match the followthrough length, more pendulum like.

post #7 of 8
Thread Starter 
Actually was thinking about the super stroke fatso 5.0... or maybe getting the heavy putter I do get a little wrist action in my putting stroke at times... anyway to combat that until I attain a super stroke grip?
post #8 of 8

Seems the longer the backswing the more difficult to hit the precise center of the ball with the center of the putter. I widen my stance, focus on steady head, 'see' a tack in center of ball and go as smoothly as possible  

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Instruction and Playing Tips
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Instruction and Playing Tips › Inconsistent speed in longer putts...