IGNORED

Newbie from Canada

ToolManSam
Note: This thread is 1845 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello all

i am new to this forum and would like to learn from other golfers on getting better at different aspects of the game

initially  was getting good at the game quite rapidly from my expectations. After my 1st season of golf I was breaking 100 into my 2nd season followed by shooting low 90's routinely high 80's a couple times with playing at least once a week and driving range minimum twice

well.. That was 20yrs ago and if anything I've gotten worse, lol. I get out once every other week or sometime 3-4 weeks. Needless to say the infrequency coupled with little to no conscientious effort to improve seriously hurt my game

This season I am feeling confident and have some lofty goals: 

My strength is that I am a decent ball striker on good days but with lack of routine I can be pretty erratic. I'd like to be more consistent with my driver; club head speed, launch, spin and shot dispersion to have an overall much more consistent result. Nothing insane since I believe driver is a rough tool to just get you closer to the hole

irons are pretty decent but I could use more consistency as well

wedges on full swings and 3/4 partial shots are "okay" but again I wanna have more predictability 

pitching and chipping: FML!!! I'm by far the worst of anyone I golf with. In my defence I blame poor teaching as I was following bad practice that seemed to be standard. I've since changed my setup and understand bounce and how leading edge will kill any even slightly mishit shot. I am looking to spend 2-3 hours a week (or more) just practicing these shots alone until I can at least comfortably get just onto the green from easy spots and give myself a chance at some birdies, pars and hopefully worst case scenario bogey on a not so terrible hole

BTW - I hope this place is not filled with angry know it alls. I won't get into any pissing matches with people with deep rooted issues. I play golf to have fun and don't care that some keyboard warrior is upset that someone plays the game on a different level than them. I am probably one of the very few golfers who has witnessed numerous guys crushing the ball in the 300 range and I've actually played alongside guys who routinely shoot under par for the round. Mind you, the average golfer I see I'd say hits the ball around 200 yards as well as struggles to break 100. But, like I said I'm only looking to improve from where I am now. Hopefully there are some good guys in here

Welcome to TST. In regards to what you wrote: I've only experienced productive commentary, respectful and supportive members who seem to have fun regardless of handicap.

Edited by Nave

Nave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Welcome to TST.   It's great to hear about your golf journey.   Thanks for sharing.   You'll find the members to be welcoming and heavily rely on proven facts to verify their golf views.    You'll find lots of good guys and gals here that golf. 

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 1845 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!