IGNORED

Scorecard: Golf Statistics Software (Mac/Windows)

iacas
Note: This thread is 1998 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
The new iphones have GPS! First developer to come out with a beautiful gui gps-caddy app WINS!

GPS unfortunately doesn't have much to do with Scorecard. I think if anything the SkyCaddie type folks should jump all over this.

And at this point, since Apple does not allow developers to synchronize files when the iPhone (or iPod Touch) is docked, our Scorecard for iP* plans are largely on hold until this glaring hole is patched or a suitable work-around is discovered.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

bummer.

I was envisioning an all-in-one gps and scorecard interface. I could see my distances and enter my strokes all in one place

would be pretty cool.

What's in my bag:
Cleveland Hibore XLS Monster Driver
TourEdge Exotics 2,3,4 hybrid irons
Tommy Armour 845cs Silverbacks 5-PW
Assorted wedges, Ping Scottsdale Anser

• Administrator
bummer.

It would be, but we'll leave that for people who do GPS type things (i.e. SkyGolf, etc.). We (Scorecard) care about the stats, and GPS doesn't really help us there.

Plus it's unlikely that you'll want your phone on, with the display, getting both GPS and cell signal all the time. It might not last the five hours. Or it would but you wouldn't have much juice left at the end. The fainter the cell signal the more power gets used.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Erik, any thoughts about providing a "long game" and "short game" handicap for each round? The Golf Digest challenge had a formula for this (last year I think) and it was pretty cool to break a round down like this. I know we can look at the putts, scrambling etc but is there a way to calculate this based on the data already entered for each round?

909D2 10.5º Ozik X-Con 5 Stiff
949MC 14º Blueboard 73 Stiff
20º 4DX-3IWS Ironwood Stiff
AP2 Project X 5.5 (4-PW, 51º GW)
Vokey 54º-10 Spin Milled X-Tour 58º-11 PM MDByron Morgan 006 Oil Can putter

I notice there are so many stats to track with Scorecard, When your on the course, how do all of you guys track everything, and where do you write it and such?
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

I notice there are so many stats to track with Scorecard, When your on the course, how do all of you guys track everything, and where do you write it and such?

The manual explains how to keep track of what you need - using just three boxes, very simple once you start doing it. Write your score, then in superscript the number of putts on that hole, in subscript draw an arrow indicating your drive. The next box, just put down the distance/length of your first putt. Finally, in the last box, write down G for a green hit, or SS / UD with/without a line through it indicating an unsuccessful/successful sand-save or up-and-down. Pretty straightforward :)

The manual explains how to keep track of what you need - using just three boxes, very simple once you start doing it. Write your score, then in superscript the number of putts on that hole, in subscript draw an arrow indicating your drive. The next box, just put down the distance/length of your first putt. Finally, in the last box, write down G for a green hit, or SS / UD with/without a line through it indicating an unsuccessful/successful sand-save or up-and-down. Pretty straightforward :)

Thanks, makes perfect sense. I guess there isn't that much to track. Only thing I'd add is which side I missed the fairway and Up & Downs.

Up & Down = Missing the GIR, but still making par, correct?
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

Thanks, makes perfect sense. I guess there isn't that much to track. Only thing I'd add is which side I missed the fairway and Up & Downs.

You use the arrow to indicate which side you missed - pointing straight up for fairways hit; easy

Yes, that's how I use Up & Down, usually from 50 yards and in. In rare cases, like if I yank a drive dead left, hit a tree and bounce back out into the fairway 250+ yards out still and have to hit a 7 iron around the dog leg, I'm still 90+ yards out on my 3rd shot into a par 4 so I don't record it as an unsuccessful up-and-down, just put nothing there.

• Administrator
Erik, any thoughts about providing a "long game" and "short game" handicap for each round? The Golf Digest challenge had a formula for this (last year I think) and it was pretty cool to break a round down like this. I know we can look at the putts, scrambling etc but is there a way to calculate this based on the data already entered for each round?

Yeah, I dunno. I don't really like their handicaps. I think you can be a good driver and a good putter, but suck with your irons and the rest of your short game. What's that tell you?

The stats we do provide are broken down much further than "long game" and "short game," so I think they're a bit more helpful. You can see if your chipping/pitching game is bad, your putting, your driving, your irons, your sand play... or any combination. What's the formula, though? It might just be two rows, so we might include it, but I dunno. I don't want to list TOO many stats or people won't take the time to look at them.

Did you read the manual? You only write down five things per hole. It's pretty quick.

What's the formula, though? It might just be two rows, so we might include it, but I dunno.

You keep track of your "long" shots, then get a "Long Game Result" by dividing Long Shots by the GIR. There's a lookup table that converts this result to your Long Game Handicap. The Short Game Handicap is then obtained by multiplying the Differential by 2, then subtracting the Long Game Handicap.

It's pretty cool to look at this simplistic stat; I've had a couple of rounds where I shot 76/77 for instance - first one had a LG handicap of 1 and SG of 8, while the second was a 9 and 2 respectively; interesting Here's the lookup table:

Erik, is there a way to change the text at the bottom of each generated HTML page that says "Scorecard create for ..."? It gets the name from the license I get, but I'd like to have it use my nick here ... just wondering if there was a better way than manually editing that file every time.

• Administrator
Erik, is there a way to change the text at the bottom of each generated HTML page that says "Scorecard create for ..."? It gets the name from the license I get, but I'd like to have it use my nick here ... just wondering if there was a better way than manually editing that file every time.

Nope. It's one of the places we simply use your name. I can't imagine we'd ever add that option, either. Sorry.

Well it would be a fairly trivial task to write a AppleScript that goes and does the replacement for you. On the PC you could do the same thing with some VB Script.

So while not ideal it does at least help automate the process for you.
Inside the OGIO Exodus
Driver: Ping G10 10.5* w/ TFC129 Stiff 45"
Hybrid: Nike SQ Sumo2 #4 & Sumo #2 w/ DG S300
Irons: Callaway X-20 5-PW w/ DG S300 2* Up
Wedges: Nike SV Tour Black 52.10 - 56.10 - 60.6 w/ DG S400Putter: Tour Bettinardi 32.5" Loft 3* Lie 70*Ball: Precept U-Tri Tour / Bridgestone...

I am sure people do it different ways but I use one open box

underneath my score for the hole to indicate what I did. It requires a sharp pencil to fit in one box, but this is what I find as the easiest way to mark it. Here is two examples or two holes. Hole 1: Drive to the right, got up and down, 1 putt, 25 foot first putt Hole 2: Drive in the fairway, Green in regulation, 2 putts, 15 foot first putt
My Bag

Driver: Sumo 460 10.5º Stiff
4 & 7 Woods: T-40 Stiff
Irons: Tight Lies GT 3-PWWedges: Tom Watson SignaturePutter: Daiwa DG-245Ball: One PlatinumGone Golfin'

• Administrator
I am sure people do it different ways but I use one open box

Interesting. You use Scorecard, so have you read the manual that comes with it? I made a small change (just now, because I realized it was out of date), but I use only two boxes as well and don't quite need the pencil to be as sharp as you might need. Here's how I keep track:

Same stats (which I'd expect, again, given that you use Scorecard), but a different arrangement. Maybe a bit easier.

So if you're on a mac and you want to change the name that is displayed on the website here is an applescript that will go and modify all the html files....

property oldName : missing value property newName : missing value property sitePath : missing value on run set oldName to valNames(oldName, "Please enter the name to replace") set newName to valNames(newName, "Please enter the name to replace \"" & oldName & "\" with") set sitePath to valSite(sitePath) tell application "Finder" try set htmlFiles to every file of folder sitePath as alias list on error set htmlFiles to every file of folder sitePath as alias as list end try repeat with aFile in htmlFiles try close access aFile end try try set theData to read aFile if theData contains oldName then set theData to my SaR(theData, oldName, newName) set fileRef to (open for access aFile with write permission) set eof fileRef to 0 write theData to fileRef close access fileRef end try end repeat end tell end run on valNames(theProp, display) if theProp is missing value then repeat try set theProp to text returned of (display dialog display default answer "" buttons "OK" default button "OK") if theProp is not missing value and the theProp is not "" then exit repeat end try end repeat end if return theProp end valNames on valSite(theSite) tell application "Finder" if theSite is missing value then set theSite to ((path to sites folder) as Unicode text) & "Scorecard:rounds" try return theSite as alias on error repeat set theSite to choose folder with prompt "Please select the Scorecard site folder" try return theSite as alias end try end repeat end try end tell end valSite on SaR(theData, srchText, replText) set {atid, AppleScript's text item delimiters} to {AppleScript's text item delimiters, srchText} set tempList to text items of theData set AppleScript's text item delimiters to {replText} set theData to tempList as string set AppleScript's text item delimiters to atid return theData end SaR

Inside the OGIO Exodus
Driver: Ping G10 10.5* w/ TFC129 Stiff 45"
Hybrid: Nike SQ Sumo2 #4 & Sumo #2 w/ DG S300
Irons: Callaway X-20 5-PW w/ DG S300 2* Up
Wedges: Nike SV Tour Black 52.10 - 56.10 - 60.6 w/ DG S400Putter: Tour Bettinardi 32.5" Loft 3* Lie 70*Ball: Precept U-Tri Tour / Bridgestone...

So if you're on a mac and you want to change the name that is displayed on the website here is an applescript that will go and modify all the html files....

I just TextPad to do a global search-and-replace, easy enough and not a big deal; thanks!

Interesting. You use Scorecard, so have you read the manual that comes with it?

No, I usually read manuals after I can't figure things out, like most men

I will browse through it now though.
My Bag

Driver: Sumo 460 10.5º Stiff
4 & 7 Woods: T-40 Stiff
Irons: Tight Lies GT 3-PWWedges: Tom Watson SignaturePutter: Daiwa DG-245Ball: One PlatinumGone Golfin'

Note: This thread is 1998 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!