IGNORED

What does Club Head Lag really mean to you?

PerfectStriking
Note: This thread is 1820 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Lag  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Do you do lag?

• I do lag
    • I don't do lag
    • I do lag but it's not what you did

On 4/29/2019 at 11:43 AM, iacas said:

I have no idea what you mean so I almost didn't vote, but I voted for "I don't do lag" because, as I've said, "lag happens." It's not something you "do" specifically for a normal shot.

I'll add that it's like there's a zen-like aspect to lag. If you try to actively seek it, you'll never find it. I'm still searching. 🤔

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

(edited)
1 hour ago, iacas said:

You're misunderstanding "weight forward." It's not "in front of the ball." It's simply relative to the two feet, or the center of your stance.

Oh yeah thanks Erik that makes sense, I suppose it comes down to judgement for what amount of transfer works for each? I seem to be able to get away with a huge amount of weight transfer to the front foot for short irons but, for the driver I can't transfer anywhere's near as much without messing up.

Edited by PerfectStriking

Mark Lyons

(edited)
On 5/1/2019 at 11:23 PM, chspeed said:

I'll add that it's like there's a zen-like aspect to lag. If you try to actively seek it, you'll never find it. I'm still searching. 🤔

Hi chspeed, I now think it is just a lot to do with dropping your hands at the top, I've got this working really good in the last few days, the other part I've found to it is after letting my hands / club head drop from the top I just pull the handle through inside the line of the ball once the hands and club head have dropped somewhere near to the bottom and feel the lag / power and whip, it's working great for me, nearly perfectly consistent and accurate especially with everything other than the driver which is also greatly improved, long fairway shots have become a dream.

Mark Lyons

1 hour ago, PerfectStriking said:

Hi chspeed, I now think it is just a lot to do with dropping your hands at the top, I've got this working really good in the last few days, the other part I've found to it is after letting my hands / club head drop from the top I just pull the handle through inside the line of the ball once the hands and club head have dropped somewhere near to the bottom and feel the lag / power and whip, it's working great for me, nearly perfectly consistent and accurate especially with everything other than the driver which is also greatly improved, long fairway shots have become a dream.

It’s great you’re hitting the ball well. But the ever popular phenomenon of ‘feel ain’t real’ may be present here. So I’m asking are you just feeling a better strike or have you confirmed improved lag with video? Hopefully you’re one of the lucky ones. If you check my swing thread (the most recent one) I completely feel that I’m generating good lag and arriving at the ball with my hands forward and a flat lead wrist. However you can easily see in my video I’m casting and flipping like Bill Dance on Labor Day weekend. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

(edited)
1 hour ago, Vinsk said:

It’s great you’re hitting the ball well. But the ever popular phenomenon of ‘feel ain’t real’ may be present here. So I’m asking are you just feeling a better strike or have you confirmed improved lag with video? Hopefully you’re one of the lucky ones. If you check my swing thread (the most recent one) I completely feel that I’m generating good lag and arriving at the ball with my hands forward and a flat lead wrist. However you can easily see in my video I’m casting and flipping like Bill Dance on Labor Day weekend. 

Thanks Vinsk, great idea I will get a video of myself, I'm sure I was casting before, now I'm pretty sure I'm not (well not so bad) so I will video myself with my 7/8/9 irons to see.

Mark Lyons

49 minutes ago, PerfectStriking said:

Thanks Vinsk, great idea I will get a video of myself, I'm sure I was casting before, now I'm pretty sure I'm not (well not so bad) so I will video myself with my 7/8/9 irons to see.

Yeah. Video has broken my heart many times. Lol. On my last video I tried to lead with my elbow and keep my trail hand bent so hard it was ridiculous. Then on video I see I did no such thing. It’s so difficult to make changes when you feel so awkward and different yet video shows no change.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

(edited)
38 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Yeah. Video has broken my heart many times. Lol. On my last video I tried to lead with my elbow and keep my trail hand bent so hard it was ridiculous. Then on video I see I did no such thing. It’s so difficult to make changes when you feel so awkward and different yet video shows no change.

It's interesting though I'm still to see a "rule" that says exactly where the trail hand should straighten and loss of wrist angle should happen. I think it's not really a rule IMHO as to when you should lose the angle as long as it's later, taking a look at this super slow mo of Jason Day can clearly see he starts to lose wrist angle and the club head starts coming through from about or even before half way down where the club is parallel to the ground. I.e. his angle between his club and his body is clearly getting bigger from at or before half way down his swing but, it's obvious his hands are in front of the ball when he hits it. Now obviously, I'm not saying Jason Day is releasing early and it would be impossible to hit to the ball if angle was maintained 100% all the way into impact, so there has to be a "good enough" maintenance of angle for "long enough". I'd say as long as long as your angle is maintained to somewhere near mid way down that has to be "long enough" or we'd all be saying Jason Day is releasing early right? So in my video of me that's what I'll be looking for, just my thoughts on it 😣

Mark Lyons

It’s a little different with driver being it’s a long club and we’re hitting up on the ball, but yeah. At impact Jason still has a dorsiflexed trail hand and a flat lead wrist and hands past the ball. This very position has eluded me for years. If I do the move slowly it feels forced, sloppy and I usually shank it. My trail hand (left for me) is a gorilla force with a mind of its own. It accelerates through and causes my lead wrist to dorsiflex and I get a chicken wing from hell. Golf is hard. Much harder when you’re grossly untalented as I am.

Note: This thread is 1820 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!