IGNORED

What does Club Head Lag really mean to you?

PerfectStriking
Note: This thread is 1821 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Lag  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Do you do lag?

• I do lag
    • I don't do lag
    • I do lag but it's not what you did

Today I went out and for the first time I think I really found out how to lag the club head effectively but, maybe this is just what I think lagging is maybe it isn't and this is a whole new thing I just think I'm doing right, boy that wouldn't be the first time right?

So what happened, I basically got 20 yards longer on my driver, and got more relaxed and a more consistent drive and irons, first I just slowed down altogether and went pretty limp through the whole swing as I was having a shocker day on the first nine and wanted to slow down and straighten up. So I completely relaxed my swing and put less power on all the way through, this got a good result instantly in the fairway but, about 20 yards short of my better normal distances on drives and about 10 yards shorter on irons. Then a hole later on a short iron for some reason I decided to try the same relaxed swing until the club head got close to striking the ball and then pull through late and hard, and wow. Then I tried this on a drive and wow, 20 yards better than my normal better distance, far better relaxed swing feel and in the middle of the fairway, on irons I got similar results and about 10 yards above my normal better distance, well from then on for the second nine it was a golden golf day.

So what did I discover, unless you really lag the club head, if you pull hard or even pull moderately on the way down anytime before you are just about to make contact you will just grab it and hit it short and wayward, at least that's today's epiphany.

Is this lag in the technical definition that everyone talks about, do others do this, what do you all do on this / differences?

I'm polling this as a question on lag.

Edited by PerfectStriking

Mark Lyons

2 hours ago, PerfectStriking said:

So what did I discover, unless you really lag the club head, if you pull hard or even pull moderately on the way down anytime before you are just about to make contact you will just grab it and hit it short and wayward, at least that's today's epiphany.

Is this lag in the technical definition that everyone talks about, do others do this, what do you all do on this / differences?

I never think about "lag" as a specific thing in my golf swing.  In my opinion, lag is a byproduct of doing other things well, of proper motions and sequencing,   What you were doing, we don't really know, and neither do you.  All you can do is describe what you were feeling, and feels generally do not coincide with reality.  

I do agree with the bold part above.  The feel of pulling hard is very seldom a positive thing

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I voted i dont do lag. Its not something ive ever consciously tried to do. Ive noticed higher caps that do try to consciously lag the head on the range or the course usually hit some kind of godawful push slice 75 yards off line. 

• Administrator

I have no idea what you mean so I almost didn't vote, but I voted for "I don't do lag" because, as I've said, "lag happens." It's not something you "do" specifically for a normal shot.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I voted I don't do lag. I don't ever think about maintaining the angle in the wrist.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Although everything's not the same, I feel I've gone through very similar experiences. When I can relax my upper body completely, and it "feels" like I'm slowing down things, i also "feel" like there's a ton more lag in my swing. I've stated this several times on this forum: my longest driving days have always been the days I'm swinging the "easiest".

All just feelings, I don't know if i was actually swinging easier, or didn't "pull hard", or w/e, but the whip sound of my club is shortest (in time period) and loudest when I do. Those are the days my impact sound also resembles what I see on TV the most too.

I only wanted to say i definitely get what your feeling. No idea what it really means tho!

From lots of experience, and I know how tempting it is, don't try and mimic Sergio Garcia's or Brook Henderson's swing. Just trust me on this. Maybe for the 1 in 1000 it works, but for most, it's the wrong fork chosen.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Not with my internet connection.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

10 hours ago, PerfectStriking said:

Today I went out and for the first time I think I really found out how to lag the club head effectively but, maybe this is just what I think lagging is maybe it isn't and this is a whole new thing I just think I'm doing right, boy that wouldn't be the first time right?

So what happened, I basically got 20 yards longer on my driver, and got more relaxed and a more consistent drive and irons, first I just slowed down altogether and went pretty limp through the whole swing as I was having a shocker day on the first nine and wanted to slow down and straighten up. So I completely relaxed my swing and put less power on all the way through, this got a good result instantly in the fairway but, about 20 yards short of my better normal distances on drives and about 10 yards shorter on irons. Then a hole later on a short iron for some reason I decided to try the same relaxed swing until the club head got close to striking the ball and then pull through late and hard, and wow. Then I tried this on a drive and wow, 20 yards better than my normal better distance, far better relaxed swing feel and in the middle of the fairway, on irons I got similar results and about 10 yards above my normal better distance, well from then on for the second nine it was a golden golf day.

I get what you’re asking. But not to be a Debbie Downer but I’d bet most likely if we had a video of your swings while you were ‘feeling’ these differences .....they would look completely the same and there would be no difference or minimal difference in the lag. Sorry. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

I do lag, but it's not something I really pay any attention to.  I just figure it's there in my swing, which helps with my timing, by helping me to not hit too early in my swing. 

Edited by Patch
  • Like 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

33 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

I never think of lag.   If I can get my weight forward, lag will take care of itself.  

You’re lucky. Certainly isn’t the case for many others. My weight is more forward than Austin Powers at a shag festival and I generate zero lag.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

If I swing relaxed, and rotate my shoulders properly in the downswing, keeping my chest and arms connected, the shaft of the club and my left arm will maintain a 90 degree angle until just before impact. I understand this is called lag.

If I rush my swing, I will lose the 90 degree angle halfway down (thus losing power). I understand they call this early release.

(edited)
18 hours ago, dennyjones said:

I never think of lag.   If I can get my weight forward, lag will take care of itself.  

One thing I have found is that getting weight forward and pulling on a drive is impossible whereas getting it forward and pulling on short irons is easy and hits it solid and other ground shots is ok

Edited by PerfectStriking

Mark Lyons

12 minutes ago, PerfectStriking said:

One thing I have found is that getting weight forward and pulling on a drive is impossible whereas getting it forward and pulling on short irons is easy and hits it solid and other ground shots is ok

Actually, I have found that the longer the club the less appropriate it might be to get the weight forward, I suppose for the driver as it is teed up and at the front of the stance it makes sense it is almost impossible to make getting weight forward in front of the ball work?

Mark Lyons

• Administrator
4 hours ago, PerfectStriking said:

Actually, I have found that the longer the club the less appropriate it might be to get the weight forward, I suppose for the driver as it is teed up and at the front of the stance it makes sense it is almost impossible to make getting weight forward in front of the ball work?

You're misunderstanding "weight forward." It's not "in front of the ball." It's simply relative to the two feet, or the center of your stance.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

8 hours ago, arturo28mx said:

If I swing relaxed, and rotate my shoulders properly in the downswing, keeping my chest and arms connected, the shaft of the club and my left arm will maintain a 90 degree angle until just before impact. I understand this is called lag.

If I rush my swing, I will lose the 90 degree angle halfway down (thus losing power). I understand they call this early release.

They make pills for that...

DJ

Follow me at Game Golf Profile: http://www.gamegolf.com/player/djfajt71 

Note: This thread is 1821 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!