IGNORED

My Swing (SPJr)

SPJr
Note: This thread is 1810 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

HELP WANTED: I suck at golf

I am what you would consider a "high handicapper".

This new season will mark my third. I have seen some progress but it has been VERY GRADUAL to say the least and nowhere near what I had hoped.

In years past I have typically struggled with a slice and chunked iron shots.

So far this season (four rounds), I am struggling with pushes and topped shots.

My swing may not look like much to you, but I have worked very hard at it and can see a lot of progress. Unfortunately it hasn't really translated into better golf.

(Because I'm sure someone will ask) I have had lessons and I had a fairly positive experience. I probably will get some more this season but (as you all know), it ain't cheap.

My goal for this season is to be considered a "bogey golfer". 

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions and/or advice.

Edited by SPJr

- Steve

Driver: titleist.png.44b235e3fc0459caf96200c226b82945.png 917D2 (9.5*), 3/4 Wood: titleist.png.44b235e3fc0459caf96200c226b82945.png 917F2 (16*),
Hybridstaylormade.png.b56433b17b721d4da3cda2f79f9e73a7.png Rescue Mid (19*) & :wilsonstaff: D100 (22*), 5i-PW, GWcobra.png.f5a0c3806c04153a74a3b11aaf4308b0.png F7 One Length
Wedges:wilsonstaff: PMP (54* & 58*), Puttertaylormade.png.b56433b17b721d4da3cda2f79f9e73a7.png Spider Mini

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I am no expert by any stretch, but I think your swing looks good.  Two things I noticed based on things I am learning on my own journey.

1) you're lifting in the downswing and through impact.

2) you look like you are pulling the hands down at the start of the downswing.  Do nothing with hands and arms at the start of the downswing.  The 'swing' in terms of hands and arms is only about 2ft through the ball on the downswing.. the rest is all body.

(edited)
2 hours ago, Jay28 said:

1) you're lifting in the downswing and through impact.

Yes - I definitely agree about this.

I will be focusing on staying down through impact.

2 hours ago, Jay28 said:

2) you look like you are pulling the hands down at the start of the downswing.  Do nothing with hands and arms at the start of the downswing.  The 'swing' in terms of hands and arms is only about 2ft through the ball on the downswing.. the rest is all body.

I also agree that I am swinging with my hands first.

Something else to work on.

Thank you for your help.

Edited by SPJr

- Steve

Driver: titleist.png.44b235e3fc0459caf96200c226b82945.png 917D2 (9.5*), 3/4 Wood: titleist.png.44b235e3fc0459caf96200c226b82945.png 917F2 (16*),
Hybridstaylormade.png.b56433b17b721d4da3cda2f79f9e73a7.png Rescue Mid (19*) & :wilsonstaff: D100 (22*), 5i-PW, GWcobra.png.f5a0c3806c04153a74a3b11aaf4308b0.png F7 One Length
Wedges:wilsonstaff: PMP (54* & 58*), Puttertaylormade.png.b56433b17b721d4da3cda2f79f9e73a7.png Spider Mini

On 5/1/2019 at 1:20 PM, SPJr said:

Yes - I definitely agree about this.

I will be focusing on staying down through impact.

I also agree that I am swinging with my hands first.

Something else to work on.

Thank you for your help.

No worries - It's a bit of a journey isn't it 🙂

For what it is worth, I'd say with your swing (far better than mine), you'll be a low handicapper with some practice.

• Administrator
On 5/1/2019 at 5:30 AM, Jay28 said:

I don't know what that means, @SPJr, and would mostly ignore that for now.

I'd also ignore the other bit about "staying down through impact" because… you'll just fat the crap out of everything if you try to "stay down" more. That, or you'll learn to bend your elbows even more than you already do in the early follow-through (at impact).

Here's what I see.

01.jpg

You dip quite a bit during the backswing because you seemingly realize that you're supposed to be able to make your shoulders steeper, but very little of this comes from your hips.

Look at this picture:

03.jpg

Notice again how we can't see the bill of your cap, then we can. Also notice how much torque seems to be in your right knee. Your hips don't turn much, so you have to get a lot of turn (and I don't think you're even getting 90°) and a lot of your shoulder tilt (down toward the ball) from your upper body instead of letting your lower body contribute.

02.jpg

On the downswing, you try to re-create the space you had at setup, and get pretty close, but don't quite succeed… which is why you have to…

04.jpg

… bend your elbows on the follow-through (or else you'd fat every shot).

So, I'd work on letting your hips turn in the backswing.

That's one topic. There are a number of others here that will be of benefit to you too.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Jay28 said:

It probably means I suck at golf.

Everyone does. Golf is hard.® 🙂

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

14 hours ago, iacas said:

I don't know what that means, @SPJr, and would mostly ignore that for now.

I'd also ignore the other bit about "staying down through impact" because… you'll just fat the crap out of everything if you try to "stay down" more. That, or you'll learn to bend your elbows even more than you already do in the early follow-through (at impact).

Here's what I see.

01.jpg

You dip quite a bit during the backswing because you seemingly realize that you're supposed to be able to make your shoulders steeper, but very little of this comes from your hips.

Look at this picture:

03.jpg

Notice again how we can't see the bill of your cap, then we can. Also notice how much torque seems to be in your right knee. Your hips don't turn much, so you have to get a lot of turn (and I don't think you're even getting 90°) and a lot of your shoulder tilt (down toward the ball) from your upper body instead of letting your lower body contribute.

02.jpg

On the downswing, you try to re-create the space you had at setup, and get pretty close, but don't quite succeed… which is why you have to…

04.jpg

… bend your elbows on the follow-through (or else you'd fat every shot).

So, I'd work on letting your hips turn in the backswing.

That's one topic. There are a number of others here that will be of benefit to you too.

Tremendous stuff, @iacas. It is greatly appreciated.

I'm looking forward to delving into those topics and working on hip turn.

- Steve

Note: This thread is 1810 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!