IGNORED

Increasing Irons Shaft Length Questions/Feedback

Note: This thread is 1780 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

besides changing lie, anyone here have feedback about the feel/effect of lengthening irons with extenders vs. getting longer shafts? pros and cons? differences in static weight?

context: i have a spare 6i i can play with and am looking for guidance on best ways to test a new setup on my own. i play standard length shafts in my irons (2-9) and single/same length in my 4 wedges. recently i've built up new grips that add about 30g more weight than standard and added a few strips of 2" high-density lead tape to each club head to get swingweight back up. since increasing shaft length increases swing weight i'm wondering what a longer shaft would feel/play like instead of adding weight to each club head.
e.g. what kind of changes in distance, flex, kick point, trajectory? are there other important changes/considerations?

thanks!

my swing thread

3-wood: 13* TEE CB4, mitsubishi 'ahina 80g x; 2-iron: 16* mizuno hi-fli, c-taper 130g; 3-pw: mizuno mp-5, c-taper 130g; 50/55/60: mizuno t7, c-taper 130g; putter: SC bullseye platinum flange (2001)

12 minutes ago, hoselpalooza said:

besides changing lie, anyone here have feedback about the feel/effect of lengthening irons with extenders vs. getting longer shafts? pros and cons? differences in static weight?

context: i have a spare 6i i can play with and am looking for guidance on best ways to test a new setup on my own. i play standard length shafts in my irons (2-9) and single/same length in my 4 wedges. recently i've built up new grips that add about 30g more weight than standard and added a few strips of 2" high-density lead tape to each club head to get swingweight back up. since increasing shaft length increases swing weight i'm wondering what a longer shaft would feel/play like instead of adding weight to each club head.
e.g. what kind of changes in distance, flex, kick point, trajectory? are there other important changes/considerations?

thanks!

I think @Adam C can help with this.

• Thumbs Up 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

43 minutes ago, hoselpalooza said:

thanks!

Since you have the spare club, the best way to figure out what you're asking is to go ahead and extend it, and hit it against your other 6 iron. I can tell you in theory that you might get more distance, but that doesn't always pan out with longer clubs, as it often leads to more inconsistency. Shaft will flex a bit more if nothing else changed, however if you start removing the lead tape than it will feel stiffer. Trajectory should not really change at least from what the shaft is contributing, but the longer club may influence your swing in such a way as you might see some launch changes.

As far as extensions vs. reshafting, my personal rule has always been that up to an inch or so, extensions are fine. If you are going longer than that I personally would look at new shafts. Weight change in one vs. the other is minimal. A few grams more back weighted with the overlap from the extension.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

I recently broke my 6i shaft right below the grip.  Weird.  I took it and a 5i from the set that I don't use (hybrid replaced it) and had the 5i shaft put in the 6i head.  I didn't have it cut down either; left it at 5i length.  I did this because I wanted a bigger gap between my 6i and 7i even with a mediocre hit with the 6i and to bring the 6i closer to the hybrid.  I'm glad I did.  The 6i flies the way I think it should and I don't notice the difference in length or weight, but I'm sure there is a difference.  I just like the fact that it played out the way I had hoped.

• Thumbs Up 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

9 minutes ago, Adam C said:

Since you have the spare club, the best way to figure out what you're asking is to go ahead and extend it, and hit it against your other 6 iron. I can tell you in theory that you might get more distance, but that doesn't always pan out with longer clubs, as it often leads to more inconsistency. Shaft will flex a bit more if nothing else changed, however if you start removing the lead tape than it will feel stiffer. Trajectory should not really change at least from what the shaft is contributing, but the longer club may influence your swing in such a way as you might see some launch changes.

As far as extensions vs. reshafting, my personal rule has always been that up to an inch or so, extensions are fine. If you are going longer than that I personally would look at new shafts. Weight change in one vs. the other is minimal. A few grams more back weighted with the overlap from the extension.

@Adam C, thanks for your feedback, very helpful. i'm surprised trajectory wouldn't change with a stiffer-playing shaft (minus the 6g lead tape). is this because of the added length or some other reason? 

my swing thread

3-wood: 13* TEE CB4, mitsubishi 'ahina 80g x; 2-iron: 16* mizuno hi-fli, c-taper 130g; 3-pw: mizuno mp-5, c-taper 130g; 50/55/60: mizuno t7, c-taper 130g; putter: SC bullseye platinum flange (2001)

• iacas changed the title to Increasing Irons Shaft Length Questions/Feedback
On 5/14/2019 at 4:10 PM, hoselpalooza said:

@Adam C, thanks for your feedback, very helpful. i'm surprised trajectory wouldn't change with a stiffer-playing shaft (minus the 6g lead tape). is this because of the added length or some other reason? 

It could effect the trajectory, whereby the stiffer shaft lowers the launch a bit, and on paper that should happen, but the longer shaft can influence this, both in reducing overall stiffness and possibly altering your swing mechanics. The longer shaft might influence your release. I ideally don't like to separate the shaft from the swing in a discussion like this. That's why my best advise is to extend one or two and see what happens.

• Thumbs Up 1

Note: This thread is 1780 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!