IGNORED

Club Selection

Bjankovich
Note: This thread is 1804 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

First off thank you all very much for all the responses on my 1st post so I wanna ask another question..

my current set up is:

Driver - 9.5 M3

3H - rogue

4h - 20 rogue x

5 -25  R7

6 - 28 R7

7 - 32 R7

8 - 36 R7

9 - 40 R7

P - 45 R7

S - 55 R7

L - 58 Cleveland 8B

I’m hitting my 5W and 3h the same distance. What about getting rid of 5w and 3h and getting 2h?

also do you think I should redo my wedges?

50-54-60?

thanks all, regrouping from surgery atm so thinking about the bag a lot and getting ready to watch PGA Championship!

Edited by Bjankovich

Your bag should be set up around the shots you encounter...not exact distance gaps.  The course I play, most often, has quite a few short, dog-leg, par 4's.  A 3 wood is of little use...so I leave it at home and put a 4 iron in the bag.  At a different course I might arrange the bag differently.  Leave the range game at the range and approach each course as a one off.  The more times you play...the better choices you will be able to make.

• Like 2

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think your wedges are fine. You can learn to work your current wedges. Maybe if you could get a G in the R7. Here's one on e-bay for $18. Save some money while you're learning to play.

s-l1000.jpg

TaylorMade r7 A Wedge Golf Club. Good condition Condition is Used. With a Stiff flex steel shaft. Shipped $5 to the lower fourty eight with USPS Priority Mail.

Next: the 5W/3H dilemma. Carry whichever one you feel more confident with. Do you really need a 2H? How often will you use it? There's about a 10 yd difference and sometimes depending upon your swing speed, off the deck that 10 yds is less because it's more difficult to get the ball in the air.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

I'm not surprised you hit your 5W and 3H the same....the 5W is likely 18*....the 3H 19*...and with a shorter shaft in the 3H you might hit it more consistently and solid vs, your 5W and hit the 3H further when hit pure.

I'd find a 50* GW and 56* wedge with a proper bounce....I think the R7 55* doesn't have a great bounce....but then as a 90's golfer....do you know how to utilize the bounce properly on chip & pitch shots?

IMO....I think a 60* LW is too risky a club for someone who doesn't break 90 often.

• Like 1

• iacas changed the title to Club Selection
3 hours ago, Bjankovich said:

Thanks all!!

Yes I think I’ll pull my 5W and SW and look for a 50 and 54 wedges. Thinking of a 5-10 bounce for the 50 and 12 for the 54

thanks again!

Consider more bounce.  Especially in a wedge, it's the essence of forgiveness.  There are some on this forum who have 20+ degrees of bounce on some of their wedges.

• Thumbs Up 1

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

12 hours ago, Shindig said:

Consider more bounce.  Especially in a wedge, it's the essence of forgiveness.  There are some on this forum who have 20+ degrees of bounce on some of their wedges.

Less less on the 50 and more on the 54?

8 hours ago, Bjankovich said:

Less less on the 50 and more on the 54?

More on both.  I have 12 on my 50 and 14 on my 56, and I think both are, if anything, too little not too much bounce. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Note: This thread is 1804 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!