IGNORED

My Swing (dc2582)

dc2582
Note: This thread is 1781 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My current handicap index or average score is: 30
My typical ball flight is: hook
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: Need to make more solid contact.  Poor ball striking and distance

I was hoping someone could give me some advice on my swing.  I've been playing for 3 years and trying to improve.  I struggle with poor contact.  This day on the range I was constantly topping the ball and not making much solid contact at all.  I suspect that maybe my back swing is too long and I should shorten it a bit?  Also, after watching the video I think I have a flying elbow.  Does this sound accurate or is there anything else I should adjust.  Any advice would be appreciated.  Thank you.

Down the line

Face on

• iacas changed the title to My Swing (dc2582)

We had very similar issues when starting out. I'm sure others will be able to provide more technical critiques, but I think the biggest issue why you're struggling with poor contact, is that you're releasing the club too soon.

Below is a screen shot of your's and Rory's swing, look at where Rory's club is when his hand reaches the golf ball, and then compare that yours. You'll see his club is still almost parallel to the ground when his hand his left hand reaches to the ball, where as your club is almost perpendicular. If you can get it closer to parallel at the point, you'll start seeing much better contact. Hooking the ball can be devastating, but I'd recommend first getting good contact and then start fixing the hook issue. 

image.png.dcf7cf79738eb9704ff91316e811622e.png

image.png.f20042c60b1952a8df9ea17455743b78.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/22/2019 at 1:05 PM, nicolcm said:

We had very similar issues when starting out. I'm sure others will be able to provide more technical critiques, but I think the biggest issue why you're struggling with poor contact, is that you're releasing the club too soon.

Below is a screen shot of your's and Rory's swing, look at where Rory's club is when his hand reaches the golf ball, and then compare that yours. You'll see his club is still almost parallel to the ground when his hand his left hand reaches to the ball, where as your club is almost perpendicular. If you can get it closer to parallel at the point, you'll start seeing much better contact. Hooking the ball can be devastating, but I'd recommend first getting good contact and then start fixing the hook issue. 

image.png.dcf7cf79738eb9704ff91316e811622e.png

image.png.f20042c60b1952a8df9ea17455743b78.png

Thanks, any tips or drills you would recommend to correct the early release?  

10 hours ago, dc2582 said:

Start with chips focusing on getting the grip ahead of the ball at impact. Then gradually make the swing longer. 

I also do a drill with an iron where I put the ball forward, next to my left heel, and then focus on hitting the ball lower. This forces you to come in steeper and have the grip ahead of the ball to make good contact.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

13 hours ago, dc2582 said:

One drill someone gave me was getting a couple flat golf balls, putting those 4 inches ahead of the ball, and working on hitting the ball and then the flat golf ball.

I have a net in basement at home, as unfortunately this will only work with a net. Do you have access to a net?

From what I can see, your weight is not transferring properly which is causing you to really spin out of your shots. A really good drill for this is to walk through your shots to force you to push off your back foot instead of wrapping around your body. Your takeaway is great and your head position/body type is setup for a great golf swing. Here is one video I could find on it but there are plenty other of drills. But this will really get you to feel how the weight transfer should happen.

Once you fix this I think you will see an incredible difference in your swing.

Edited by Skruske

Note: This thread is 1781 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!