IGNORED

What do you read that isn't golf related?

Jeepthrills
Note: This thread is 5550 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Big history buff, and I love Fictional History along the lines of Man in the High Tower by Philip K. Dick and nearly anything by Harry Turtledove.

Wow, I remember reading Turtledove pretty regularly in high school and at the start of college. I kind of fell out of it, but I remember really enjoying a dozen or so books.

Ender's Game

Wow, how did I forget this? And it reminds me to add

Snow Crash to the list.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been slacking on my reading lately. When I was into it I preferred short stories, particularly from Truman Capote. Biographies of people I admire were fun to read. I read that Hogan by James Dodson. Good stuff. A few things of and by Salvador Dali.

These days I try to read one or two articles from the Money & Investing section of the Wall Street Journal. And the same from the magazine The Atlantic.

I like to thumb through art magazines too. Anything from photography to graffiti.

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Lord of the Rings. The Silmarillion. Unfinished Tales. The Hobbit.

Tolkien is the Man, period.
Whats in the bag:

Driver: Nike Ignite 460cc 10.5* Fujikura Ignite reg flex
Fairway woods: Howson tour master power series 3,5 woods
Irons: MacGregor M675 3-PW DG S300 Wedges: Mizuno MP-R Black Nickel 54.10, 60.05Putter: Pinfire Golf P4Ball: Titleist NXT TourHome Course:http://www.golfarmagh.co.uk/...

I've kept track since 1998 and read on average 75 books a year. The mix is probably 60/40 fiction/non-fiction. I read a lot of history, biographies, exploration and some sports (golf & baseball). I am currently working my way through the US Presidents. Have about 15 or so of those down.

On the fiction side: mysteries, action, fantasy, general fiction.

Loyalty above all else, except honor.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I normally have 3 or 4 in progress at any given date.

Just finished:
Dave Ramsey's "Total Money Makeover" - Great book if you want to get out of debt and take control of your $$.

"Lean Thinking" by Womack & Jones. Great book on Lean Manufacturing principals.

In Process:

"Toyota Production System" - by Taiichi Ohno - More lean manufacturing from the master.

"Treasure of Khan" - Clive Cussler w/ son Dirk Cussler another book w/ my favorite hero Dirk Pitt! :thumbsup

"1776" - David McCullough - follows George Washington in the build up & during to the Revolutionary War
I've spent most of my life golfing - the rest I've just wasted.

In my bag todayâ¦.
Driver: 2009 S9-1 10.5
19d Hybrid4-SW:2008 FP 58/10 Mizuno MP T-10Putter: White Hot XG Sabertooth

I love to read golf books and magazines, but I also read a lot of non-golf stuff.

I am reading HG Wells, War of the Worlds, Jules Verne 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Hitchhiger's Guide to the Universe, and What it means to be a Wolverine.

Jeepthrills and the others who like Harry Potter, (I bought the first book for when my son gets older, and ended up reading through the whole series) and Eragon (am also waiting for the third book), and Tolkein, I suggest you check out the A Song of Ice and Fire Series by Geroge R.R. Martin...the first novel in the series is A Game of Thrones. This series is some of the best writing in the genre that I have ever come across, blows away Paolini and Rowlings. The books are very long, I believe the third book was 1200 pages and his editors made him split a book becuase they could not publish the book past a certain page limit in paperback. Trust me, give it 100 pages and you will not be able to put it down. Now I am waiting for the next installment in the series. Also HBO has picked up the rights to the series and will be making a seven year series of it, one year of shows for each book. Here is his website, http://www.georgerrmartin.com/ Have fun.

In my Grom:
Driver: :nike: Sasquatch 9.5° Graffalloy Shaft-Stiff Flex
FW: :nike: 3 (15°) & 5 (19°) Sasquatch Diamana Shaft-Stiff Flex
Hybrid: :touredge: Tour Edge Exotics Ironwood 21° Adila Shaft-Stiff Flex
Irons: :nike: 4-AW OSS Steel Shaft-Stiff Flex
Wedges: :vokey: Vokey Spin Milled 54 and 60
Putter:  :edel: Basic Series 

Sounds interesting. Will be checking it out. (you had me hooked at 1200 pages!)
Whats in the bag:

Irons: MacGregor M675 3-PW DG S300 Wedges: Mizuno MP-R Black Nickel 54.10, 60.05Putter: Pinfire Golf P4Ball: Titleist NXT TourHome Course:http://www.golfarmagh.co.uk/...

just adding to what i said before-Freakanomics, Ender's Shadow, Woorld War Z (it has made me even more paranoid then before)

driver- R580XD 9.5*
3 wood- m/speed
hybrid- cft ti 4h
irons- fp 4-gap
wedges- 54* and RAC satin 56* 12 bounceputter- 1/2 Craz-Eballs- DT Carry, e5, anything found thats is good shapeshoes-adidashome course - nothing - uh oh. perhaps pleasant view againschool...

I really don't care for Harry Potter... I read the first 2.5 because of all the hoopla and was very disappointed. I guess I was expecting "literature" or something

I think if I had approached them as light, fun, kids books... I might have thought they were ok.

Ursula K. LeGuinn's EarthSea books touch on the same themes and have a lot more depth and color and character IMHO.

My absolute favorite recent "fantasy" read was "Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell" which I see from this wikipedia link is being made into a movie!

What's in my bag:
Cleveland Hibore XLS Monster Driver
TourEdge Exotics 2,3,4 hybrid irons
Tommy Armour 845cs Silverbacks 5-PW
Assorted wedges, Ping Scottsdale Anser

I really don't care for Harry Potter... I read the first 2.5 because of all the hoopla and was very disappointed. I guess I was expecting "literature" or something

Read the rest. IMO, the first two-three books are geared to kids, the rest is more for an older group. Seriously, don't give up on them, you won't regret it.
Whats in the bag:

yeah, i started them, hated them, saw the fourth movie, and stayed up till 3 every morning until i finished them all.......

driver- R580XD 9.5*
3 wood- m/speed
hybrid- cft ti 4h
irons- fp 4-gap
wedges- 54* and RAC satin 56* 12 bounceputter- 1/2 Craz-Eballs- DT Carry, e5, anything found thats is good shapeshoes-adidashome course - nothing - uh oh. perhaps pleasant view againschool...

just adding to what i said before-Freakanomics, Ender's Shadow, Woorld War Z (it has made me even more paranoid then before)

How does Ender's Shadow compare to Ender's Game. I read Ender's Game, which is a fantastic book (I believe they are making it into a movie) and Speakers for the Dead, the next book which got a little trippy.

In my Grom:
Driver: :nike: Sasquatch 9.5° Graffalloy Shaft-Stiff Flex
FW: :nike: 3 (15°) & 5 (19°) Sasquatch Diamana Shaft-Stiff Flex
Hybrid: :touredge: Tour Edge Exotics Ironwood 21° Adila Shaft-Stiff Flex
Irons: :nike: 4-AW OSS Steel Shaft-Stiff Flex
Wedges: :vokey: Vokey Spin Milled 54 and 60
Putter:  :edel: Basic Series 

Read the rest. IMO, the first two-three books are geared to kids, the rest is more for an older group. Seriously, don't give up on them, you won't regret it.

I was hooked from about the third page of the first book, but I agree that each book out does the one before. The last one was absolutely great. I could not put it down.

Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

How does Ender's Shadow compare to Ender's Game. I read Ender's Game, which is a fantastic book (I believe they are making it into a movie) and Speakers for the Dead, the next book which got a little trippy.

Enders Shadow follows Bean. It matches up really well with Enders Game, and explains how Ender gets Dragon Army and fun stuff like that.

driver- R580XD 9.5*
3 wood- m/speed
hybrid- cft ti 4h
irons- fp 4-gap

The only golf related thing I read is GolfWeek...nothing else...a few years ago, I made the mistake of reading a bunch of golf books (books by pros, teachers, etc) during the winter and it wrecked my whole season--too many thoughts in my head. I decided I don't want to think about very much golf related over the winter.

Ping Rapture 12* Aldila Stiff
Ping Hybrid 19* Aldila Stiff
Power Bilt "Scotch Blades" Steel Stiff 3-PW
Ping Eye-2 SW
Ping Anser Putter

. . .As my handle implies, I am a fanatical World War II aviation enthusiast! I've been interested in WWII ever since my Dad told me about his service in the Navy flying torpedo bombers (as a gunner) against the Japanese. It is a facinating period of history.

Mike

. . ."Commit to each shot. . .and believe"!!

In my R7 Tour Bag:

Driver: Taylor Made R1 "Black" Aldila RIP Phenom Stiff Shaft  Fairway:  RocketBallz #3 (15 degree) Stiff Shaft  Hybrid:  #3 (19 degree) Stiff Shaft,  Hybrid:  #5 Burner (25 degree) Stiff Shaft   Irons & Wedges: CGB Max '08 Black Steel Stiff Shaft. PW, SW, & LW. Putter: Rossa Modena...

• 5 weeks later...
Im starting to read Joyce right now, its really tough but im trying to tack down Ulysses if it kills me.

Whats in my Warbird Hot Bad:

Driver: 907D1 9.5 - 65-S Aldila VS Proto --- FT-IQ coming soon?
2 Hybrid: Rescue mid-TP 16 deg
3 Hybrid: Rescue TP - HC Tour Only Model 19 deg - DG X-1004-PW: 695CB Irons - Project X 6.0Wedges Vokey SM58, Vokey SM54, Vokey 250Putter Futura PhantomWhere I WorkMy...

Note: This thread is 5550 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!