gbogey

Handicap and Slope Rating

Handicap and Slope  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Two golfers have 10.0 handicap indexes. "A"'s home course has a 135 slope. "B"'s home course has a 115 slope.

• "A" is a better golfer due to more difficult course
    • "B" is a better golfer due to shooting lower scores
    • I trust course ratings and believe that they are the same level

22 posts / 1177 viewsLast Reply

5 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

Exactly!  A is shooting an average of maybe 85 or 86, B is probably averaging closer to 80.  It's hard to guess without the course ratings, but that could be close.

Yes, many of the courses here .....at around 115 are rated around 68 and for 135...around 72....so yes....I think the player on course A shoots about an average score in around 87 and player on course  B, shoots an average score around 81.

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

15 hours ago, iacas said:

Sometimes a course can be "too easy" too.

For example, when I played the forward tees (now the "5" tees I think) at Lake View when I was a 1.8, I'd have had to shoot about 69 to 70 just to keep a 1.8 index (rating and slope are 67.6/120).

In other words, B might be the better player, if the course is "too easy."

I think my opinion is similar to this.  Before I moved I played a 129 slope (which has since been re-rated to 132) and here I mostly play a 114 slope.  I've maintained a 6-7 index at both places, but my game and the game that is required is different.  At the higher sloped course I felt that recovery shots were crucial and a big part of having a good score is eliminating DB's.  At the lower sloped course I feel like I need to have fewer big errors and make more birdies to have a good score.  Some of this is a variant on different courses for different horses, but personally I think it's a little more than that.

For the large majority of players, I believe the Rating/Slope system does a good job of creating valid handicap indexes despite variations in courses played.  In most instances, Player A and Player B would have similar abilities. 

That being said, if I had to make a wager without knowing either player, I would put the bet on Player A.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

54 minutes ago, bkuehn1952 said:

For the large majority of players, I believe the Rating/Slope system does a good job of creating valid handicap indexes despite variations in courses played.  In most instances, Player A and Player B would have similar abilities. 

That being said, if I had to make a wager without knowing either player, I would put the bet on Player A.

Some people always bet “red” at the roulette wheel too.  Even though the odds are exactly the same if they bet “black”.   ;-)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• 2019 TST Partners

PING Golf
    FlightScope Mevo
    • After being on the other end of a great deal of abuse, I thought I would give you all an update regarding my putting.  I was having a pretty decent degree of success by placing the ball slightly back of centre (towards my rear foot). I felt it had straightened my putting and stopped me dragging the ball to the left. I was informed by more than one member this was simply putting a plaster on the problem. I took this to heart and spent a few weeks attempting to putt with the ball placed forward of centre. Well, my putting reached an all time low, so I reverted back to plan "A". Whilst my putting improved a little, I couldn't emulate the success I previously had, so I decided to spend some time on the practice green. As previously mentioned, I have a friend who putts one handed, and very rarely 3 putts. I attempted this for myself, and whilst I don't feel confident enough to use this technique as the norm, it was easier and better than I thought. This lead me to try something else. I now putt with the ball slightly back of centre, but only use my left hand to secure the putter, rather than to use it for directional purposes. In brief, my right hand does 90% of the work, and my left hand is there for moral support only. My putting is more consistent than it ever has been now, but I openly admit I will never be the best putter in the world
    • Day 34 Walked in the Suwanee Fall Parade this morning with my kids and their school, so I missed an opportunity to play with a friend of mine who was in town.  However, when we got home, I was able to get out and hit some balls into the net.  I worked through all of the clubs, working on my pre-shot routine and BTT... FTT swing-thought.  I didn't hit the ball as well as I have been, and I could tell when I was distracted (the kids were being their extra-selves... including a fist-fight and bloody nose) that I didn't stay in the swing all the way through to my finish.  I need to go in for another lesson soon.
    • Same here. My drive that cut that corner wasn’t a pure strike it just happened to have the exact trajectory and curve that I wanted.  That was @billchao‘s 8i on 18 at Celebration. What was that 185-190? Middle of the green was 165yd IIRC...in Bermuda...Bill absolutely flushed his 8i 20-30yds off the back of the green right online with the flag. Had that flag been 185-190yds away...I’d call that a tour quality pure strike. And no, it wasn’t thinned nor a stinger..it was way way high and just went forever.
    • True dat! Still, it was a damn good shot, but not quite pure.  Just a touch toey.  Well struck and a great result don’t necessarily mean “pure”. I’ve also hit plenty of “pure” shots with less than optimal results.
    • Funny, Billchao. Tennis is possibly even tougher than golf to learn (say, the equivalent to scratch ability) but people tend to feel more comfortable with a lack of ability in tennis than in golf, the special pastime that reminds you every day precisely where you stand.    As for the grip pressure, Patch, I was taught to hold on to the racquet as loosely as possible and only grip it at the moment of impact and release it. That did wonders for my body. In golf I need to grip it a bit earlier and longer. 
  • TST Blog Entries

• Blog Entries

• Today's Birthdays

1. bkuehn1952
      bkuehn1952
      (67 years old)
    2. Bryan Kasper
      Bryan Kasper
      (27 years old)
    3. Greg Pickett Golf
      Greg Pickett Golf
      (64 years old)
    4. hobecorning
      hobecorning
      (77 years old)

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...