IGNORED

Has Golf Gotten More or Less Popular in the Last 10-20 Years?

Used2PlayALot
Note: This thread is 1745 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 hour ago, LightsOut said:

How often do rangers do anything to earn a tip? 

My point was, the others are nice, because they know that's the route to getting a tip.

Since rangers never get tipped (no matter how nice they act), they have no incentive to act nice.

Just now, Talldog said:

My point was, the others are nice, because they know that's the route to getting a tip.

Since rangers never get tipped (no matter how nice they act), they have no incentive to act nice.

Yes, I understood the point.  But what was to keep that ranger from saying "Will do, sir!"  or "I can't at the moment, but I'll give everyone a heads up to keep an eye out for it!" or anything else more diplomatic and respectful than "It's not my job."  

In the Bag:

Tour Edge Exotics Driver, 3W, 3H, 4H, 5-PW, Adams Golf 54 and 60 Wedges, Wilson SW, Ray Cook putter.

3 hours ago, LightsOut said:

Oh, and another thing:  what kind of "customer service" do you receive at the courses you play?  I rank my experiences between Indifferent and Appalling.  No greeting by the cart attendants, curt pro shop staff, a bombardment of signs telling me what I can't do, surly starters, ill-tempered rangers...  I constantly ask myself, "I paid (insert fee here) for this?"

Just recently, I was playing by myself and was accosted by a ranger telling me to "pick up the pace", then demanded to see my receipt as if I just stole the cart and tried playing for free.  There was no one in front of or behind me, and I play there frequently.  Not once have I been greeted with "Good to see you again!" or anything like it. 

Like Mick Jagger sings, "...I went down to the golf course to get my fair share of abuse...".

19 minutes ago, Talldog said:

They do if they want to earn minimum wage, get free golf and keep their job.

1 hour ago, Talldog said:

Interesting, I see what you are saying. But, I think my point was missed. A golf course is still a luxury item where many people spend their disposable income.  I would consider most of the times for it be a service industry. You shouldn't have to solely be a tip earner to display a pro-customer attitude.

I highly doubt you accept that same poor, surly attitude from a hotel concierge, maitre d, or personal trainer.  

• Administrator

Rangers getting tips seems off topic.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 minutes ago, iacas said:

Rangers getting tips seems off topic.

Yep, I always feel like tipping people that tell the other members of my foursome (I am not the culprit) to speed up.  I'd rather tip my doctor for a DRE.

• Administrator
9 hours ago, LightsOut said:

Golf is in decline.

So you disagree with the NGF? Based on… what?

What do your local courses do to encourage participation? Do they ever reach out to the community? Host events?  Offer incentives to first timers to come to a free clinic?  Do the courses we play at recognize and appreciate our patronage?  Have you ever received so much as a "thank you" card or birthday greeting with an offer for a discounted or even free round?  How about programs to encourage you to bring others to the game?

Courses where I live are doing pretty darn well. They do some of but not all of those things. Many don't need to - and without a year-round golf season, "birthday" stuff makes no sense for about 50% of the players.

And like most small businesses that see their sales falling off, they do nothing proactive or, God forbid, aggressive to change the situation.

You're painting with an AWFULLY broad brush there man.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 1745 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!