IGNORED

Returning Player. Getting New Irons Soon, Need Some Input!

Note: This thread is 1732 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey all! Returning player here who has been away from the game for probably somewhere close to 8 years give or take! I'm currently using a set of Mizuno MX-100s and I'm probably way overdue for a upgrade leaning towards more of a serious/competitive approach with whatever I end up getting. I went to a Golf Central shop this past weekend to have the Mizuno's re-gripped and while I was there I got lucky and was able to hit a few shots in their fitting studio. It wasn't a full blown fitting session as I told them I wasn't buying that day but was curious how some of the new equipment feels these days. I was blown away.

I don't have an official handicap again yet as I've only played 2 rounds of 9 holes since coming back to the game but each of those rounds I sat at 5 over. I use to be about 3-5 handicap back in the day when I was playing a lot, this was when I was around 18-22 years old, I'm 32 now so I know a lot has changed but I was able to remember the things I've learned and hit some good shots in my recent rounds.

A few things I knew I wanted when selecting the iron heads I ended up hitting were as follows..

• Compact Head
  • Forged
  • Shot Shaping

I only hit two brands, Ping i500s and Callaway Apex, both are forged and both felt great..like completely a night and day difference vs what I've been hitting in all my time playing golf. I wanted to hit more irons but also didn't want to use up a lot of the guys time since I wasn't buying that day and didn't schedule an actual fitting appointment. Some other brands I'm curious about are Mizuno and Titleist, I was told the sweetspot on the Titleist is literally the size of a dime so Titleist may be out of the question completely at the moment. I hit the ball decently but I don't strike the ball pure every single time so I'm staying away from a full blown blade/muscleback set for now.

I was wondering if I could get some input on what to look for when going through the whole fitting process these days? I'm pretty set on the Ping i500s, they felt amazing and they also look super sleek and I like that a lot!!! I know I want a Forged iron after hitting some now and I also want control/precision, can't wait to see some input on this! Thanks in advance!!!

:titleist:

Be open to what the data says. Try a lot of clubs. Tell the fitter about your game but go with an open mind. I recommend thinking about what you consider valuable.

You will always find one club that is longer than the others or one that is more accurate. If it is longer by 10 yards and 50% dispersion the choice is clear. But is 2 yards worth $500 for an iron set? Would you trade 3 yards for a more compact head or ability to shape the flight...

• Thumbs Up 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

38 minutes ago, criley4way said:

Be open to what the data says. Try a lot of clubs. Tell the fitter about your game but go with an open mind. I recommend thinking about what you consider valuable.

You will always find one club that is longer than the others or one that is more accurate. If it is longer by 10 yards and 50% dispersion the choice is clear. But is 2 yards worth $500 for an iron set? Would you trade 3 yards for a more compact head or ability to shape the flight...

I've made a list on what is most important to me, plan on bringing that list in when I go for my fitting. Consistency, feel, control, precision, work-ability. Honestly not that concerned with distance and always have been a feel type golfer. I do have some favorite brands as far as personal preference goes but I'm ultimately going to buy what I perform the best with, that's the plan anyway.

Let me ask you an important question.  What is the difference between the set you are currently playing and the sets you hit.  Is it additional distance, better dispersion, feel.

With regards to the sweet-spot, virtually every club ever made has one the size of a dime at best.

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

5 minutes ago, pganapathy said:

Let me ask you an important question.  What is the difference between the set you are currently playing and the sets you hit.  Is it additional distance, better dispersion, feel.

With regards to the sweet-spot, virtually every club ever made has one the size of a dime at best.

Feel was out of this world compared to what I currently have, also the sound was too. More distance but that's because they are lofted lower and they are new, shiny, and look amazing compared to my oversized 10-12 year old irons.

To be completely honest I didn't spend a lot of time hitting so we didn't get into dispersion and all that, but when I go back for the full fitting session I'm sure we will.

7 hours ago, ShawnSum said:

Feel was out of this world compared to what I currently have, also the sound was too. More distance but that's because they are lofted lower and they are new, shiny, and look amazing compared to my oversized 10-12 year old irons.

To be completely honest I didn't spend a lot of time hitting so we didn't get into dispersion and all that, but when I go back for the full fitting session I'm sure we will.

I envy the experience you are about to partake in. Lol. From what you listed here’s a good list FWIW:

Ping i500/i200

Callaway Apex/MB

Titleist AP2/MB

Mizuno MP-18

Let us know how it goes!

• Thumbs Up 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

28 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

I envy the experience you are about to partake in. Lol. From what you listed here’s a good list FWIW:

Ping i500/i200

Callaway Apex/MB

Titleist AP2/MB

Mizuno MP-18

Let us know how it goes!

I won't lie...I'm getting pretty hyped up about it all, and you pretty much just listed all the clubs I'm interested in that are on my radar! I've already felt the difference between Forged vs non Forged but I didn't get a chance to hit some of the forged Mizuno's and people say they are pretty special so I've gotta get that done when I go back!

41 minutes ago, ShawnSum said:

I won't lie...I'm getting pretty hyped up about it all, and you pretty much just listed all the clubs I'm interested in that are on my radar! I've already felt the difference between Forged vs non Forged but I didn't get a chance to hit some of the forged Mizuno's and people say they are pretty special so I've gotta get that done when I go back!

I own/owned plenty of irons over the years. I’ve been a big Ping fan for quite some time. I played the i200/i500. I stayed with the i200 up until recently when I got a great deal on some Mizuno MP-54’s. I’m left handed so don’t have quite the variety righties do. I’m crazy about them and have playing them for the past two months. Anyway the good news is you won’t go wrong with how you’re doing it. And you’re choices are all excellent clubs so enjoy and remember to update us! 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

9 hours ago, Vinsk said:

I own/owned plenty of irons over the years. I’ve been a big Ping fan for quite some time. I played the i200/i500. I stayed with the i200 up until recently when I got a great deal on some Mizuno MP-54’s. I’m left handed so don’t have quite the variety righties do. I’m crazy about them and have playing them for the past two months. Anyway the good news is you won’t go wrong with how you’re doing it. And you’re choices are all excellent clubs so enjoy and remember to update us! 

I'll definitely be back with the results and pictures of the whole new iron setup! Irons, putter, wedges, driver, fairway woods/hybrids...Not all at once but over time that is the order of replacements being made!

Since the OP has specific wants, and desires for his new clubs, I would thing going the component route might be a viable way to go. Same quality, fitted, for probably less money than big brand names. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

58 minutes ago, Patch said:

Since the OP has specific wants, and desires for his new clubs, I would thing going the component route might be a viable way to go. Same quality, fitted, for probably less money than big brand names. 

Component route? 

1 hour ago, ShawnSum said:

Component route? 

Nah...stick with your plan. Sorry @Patch...that’s just hard to transition to. I know it’s got logic to it... it’s kinda like settling on a Hyundai when you really want a BMW because it’s a better deal....🥴

Edited by Vinsk
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Nah...stick with your plan. Sorry @Patch...that’s just hard to transition to. I know it’s got logic to it... it’s kinda like settling on a Hyundai when you really want a BMW because it’s a better deal....🥴

Don't even know what it means so will be sticking to my plan. Lol!!!

10 minutes ago, ShawnSum said:

Don't even know what it means so will be sticking to my plan. Lol!!!

It means you get fitted. The dealer, who also sells the name brands off the rack, lets you select the shafts, club heads, and grips you want, that matches your fitting specs. They then assemble the parts to build you the set of clubs you have chosen. Usually takes a day or two to build the clubs for delivery. 

It's just another possible way to go. In alot of cases it saves the buyer $200+ dollars. 

In My Bag:

21 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Nope, the quality of today's golf club components is equal to the brand name equipment.

If my Hyundai set scores better than your BMW set, who has the better set? (It's the golfer's swing that makes the difference.)

Just offering up another cost saving option for the OP to consider. 

Another thing to consider when buying a set of clubs, especially irons, is how easily they can be adjusted (loft & lie angles) as needed. Say, after future use, to stay up with any swing changes the user might have.

Components are usually easier to adjust, than the brand names. Some brand name clubs need to be sent back to the factory, unless the local store has the proper equipment to adjust them. 

Just a thought.

In My Bag:

25 minutes ago, Patch said:

Nope, the quality of today's golf club components is equal to the brand name equipment.

If my Hyundai set scores better than your BMW set, who has the better set? (It's the golfer's swing that makes the difference.)

Just offering up another cost saving option for the OP to consider. 

Another thing to consider when buying a set of clubs, especially irons, is how easily they can be adjusted (loft & lie angles) as needed. Say, after future use, to stay up with any swing changes the user might have.

Components are usually easier to adjust, than the brand names. Some brand name clubs need to be sent back to the factory, unless the local store has the proper equipment to adjust them. 

Just a thought.

39 minutes ago, Patch said:

It means you get fitted. The dealer, who also sells the name brands off the rack, lets you select the shafts, club heads, and grips you want, that matches your fitting specs. They then assemble the parts to build you the set of clubs you have chosen. Usually takes a day or two to build the clubs for delivery. 

It's just another possible way to go. In alot of cases it saves the buyer $200+ dollars. 

Thanks for the clarification on that and this is a interesting thing to consider. I'm definitely going to be getting fitted but I'm most definitely not going to be picking out individual components and piecing my set together for a couple reasons, most notably because I simply don't have enough knowledge about everything.

I've talked with the guy that will be doing my fitting several times now about different things and this is our plan as of right now. He knows I really like the Ping i500s, but he also knows that I really want to hit/feel some of the Mizuno's as well, and on top of all that he knows I really have a thing for Titleist as well! Soooo I'm gonna hit a lot of shots with several different brands and see what the data says and how I feel with each club/brand. At the end of the day I'm going to select whatever set gives me the best opportunity to hit consistent/precision shots!!

35 minutes ago, Patch said:

Yeah @Patch that’s what I’m saying. I’ve admitted it’s logical. But the fact remains people who have their heart set on a BMW aren’t going to be inclined to buy the Hyundai despite it offering the same quality at a better price. And by better, it’s not enormously cheaper. That’s why people have a tough time dropping 65k on a Hyundai.

Edited by Vinsk

8 minutes ago, ShawnSum said:

Soooo I'm gonna hit a lot of shots with several different brands and see what the data says and how I feel with each club/brand.

Yeah keep an open mind when testing.  The data will speak for itself and feel/sound is very subjective so just go with whatever you like best.  The i500's actually only have a forged face that is welded onto a cast hollow body, so don't pigeonhole yourself with the whole forged/non-forged thing.  Forging is just a manufacturing process and in fact, a lot of people mistakenly think Vokey wedges are forged when they're cast.  Feel comes down to the material used and the geometry.  A lot of the heads out there (even the players-ish ones) are multi-material and if a club has even one forged component, the OEM is guaranteed to place a nice big "FORGED" stamp on the head for marketing purposes.  Traditional single piece forgings are basically limited to players cavity backs and bladed irons.  Best of luck with the testing.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Diego’s Gear
Driver: Callaway Great Big Bertha at 11.5*
5W: Taylormade Jetspeed 19*
Hybrid: Ping G5 22*
Irons: Mizuno MX-23 4-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0 50*, 54*, 58*
Putter: Ping Ketsch 33”
My Swing: https://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/93417-my-swing-foot-wedge/

Note: This thread is 1732 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!