IGNORED

Ridiculous Scores on a Hole?

bones75
Note: This thread is 1698 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

(edited)

Talked to a guy who used to work the scoring tent on the Nationwide Tour way back when. He said it wasn't unusual at all to see 5 hole scores of 10+ in a single tourney. Idk much about any tour other than pga. Is this believable? I googled this topic for 2 min and im surprised at how many high numbers there are on the pga tour (relatively).

Is there an online resource where you can download detailed score data for an entire tournament (pga or other)? In like csv, deliminited or ascii format?  Would be fun to toy w data.

Edited by bones75

9 on a par 4. First time playing the course.  First shot into the fairway bunker.  Second hit the lip and popped back into the bunker.  Third out, straight into another bunker. Fourth out.  Still over 100 yards out.  Pitch to the green.  Chip up.  3 putts!!!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 7/14/2019 at 2:41 AM, Patch said:

A high number for me now would probably be a 7. Then again I haven't had a 6 in months. 

I would think that this says something about the course you play. Plays off 12. "Haven't had a bogey on a par 5 in months." "Haven't had a double bogey on a par 4 in months". Really? How often do you play?

If this were true you'd be playing well under your claimed handicap every single round.

Edited by leftybutnotPM

I normally play with my sons for fun so I'll pick up if I'm getting beat down by a particular hole. We like to move along quickly as much as we can.

But I'll rat out my golfer son who joined Houston's HGA Juniors program as a young teen. His first competitive tournament was at South Shore Harbour and he took a 15 or 16 on his first hole. It was tough to watch as a dad knowing how excited he'd been before he began that morning. To his credit he 'righted the ship', (more or less) and finished with a score just over 100 as i recall. He stuck with it and eventually played as the #3 on his highly ranked high school team, playing behind a couple of kids who received golf scholarships.

My old but trusty bag is filled with clubs I built...Integra SoooLong 450 10.5°, Jackaroo II 13* 16* 23*  hybrids, Dynacraft irons and wedges...plus a sweet Tad Moore Peach putter.

Please check out my sports card/memorabilia blog: The Five Tool Collector

I guess I had some over 10 but not sure. My worst score (relative) is a 9 on a par 3. Hit the green side bunker with my tee and it was a high flying ball so it dug itself right in. Confidently hit my second and managed to cover the ball completely. Took an unplayable and failed to get out in two more shots then chip and 3 putt (somewhere along those lines). And I usually don’t have any trouble with bunkers. Luckily I hit two more bunkers the same round after that so I got my confidence back. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 3 weeks later...

I played with a friend on Saturday who shot a 14 on a par 3. It took him 9 shots to get out of the bunker. This morning I was told about a member at my club who took 17 off of the tee. The left side of the fairway is tree lined and out of bounds. The player in question is left handed with a big slice. Just to make things worse it was the third hole, and it was a medal competition. 

- Simon Hornsby

Note: This thread is 1698 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!