weifert

My Driver's Low, Violent Hook

3 posts / 401 viewsLast Reply

Hello Everybody,

I have really been improving my iron ball striking and getting some straight shots, which is great. However, my driver has fallen ill. Every swing lately has been a low hook that goes left and stays left and usually ends up unplayable.

The last time that I was hitting the driver straight, I found that moving the ball unnaturally far back in my stance (about the middle of the stance or maybe even a touch back) gave me a straight-ish shot. However, the ball was still very low.

Logically, I think I should start looking at my club head at address to see if it is closed. And I will. But I wanted to see if the crowd had any suggestions. I also don't think the club head would address the flight of the ball too much. I may be wrong there.

At any rate, I've never felt comfortable swinging my driver, almost like I have little control over it versus swinging irons. So I'm interested in hearing your thoughts.

Thanks!

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

19 minutes ago, weifert said:

Hello Everybody,

I have really been improving my iron ball striking and getting some straight shots, which is great. However, my driver has fallen ill. Every swing lately has been a low hook that goes left and stays left and usually ends up unplayable.

The last time that I was hitting the driver straight, I found that moving the ball unnaturally far back in my stance (about the middle of the stance or maybe even a touch back) gave me a straight-ish shot. However, the ball was still very low.

Logically, I think I should start looking at my club head at address to see if it is closed. And I will. But I wanted to see if the crowd had any suggestions. I also don't think the club head would address the flight of the ball too much. I may be wrong there.

At any rate, I've never felt comfortable swinging my driver, almost like I have little control over it versus swinging irons. So I'm interested in hearing your thoughts.

Thanks!

There are a number of things that can cause a low hook and without seeing your swing, it is hard to diagnose. You can post a video of your swing in the Member Swings Section.

That being said, for me, it is when I roll my forearms over during the swing. It causes the face to close and a low hook happens. What I work on is a drill where I hold the arms from rolling through impact with a short follow through swing at about half speed. Do your normal set up, go to the top of the back swing, A4, then swing through to where the trail arm is parallel to the ground after impact, A9. Do them at half speed, 3/4 speed and see what the ball flight is like.

Remember to do them at slower speed.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just a small note on golf etiquette; the term ‘violent’ is to be reserved for shanks. No other mis-hit warrants the use of such a word.😃

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades