IGNORED

My Swing (Double_AA)

Double_AA

Back to playing like crap... I’m hitting pushes, pulls, fat, thin, you name it I’m hitting it. My driver isn’t too bad but irons are out of whack. Looks like I’m back to being steep.Β 
Β 

https://youtu.be/QOw6s-DCjPM
Β 

https://youtu.be/NqMjT_B8tb0
Β 

Β 

Driver:Β Ping G410 Plus 9
3-Wood:Β Titleist 917F2 16.5Β 
Irons:Β Titleist AP3Β 4-Pw

Wedges:Β 48,52,56Β Titleist vokey
Putter:Β Scotty Select NewportΒ 
Β 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Whenever I start hitting the ball like that my father in law always says that I am trying to "steer" the ball or quitting at impact. I think he may be correct, because if I go back to really just thinking about swinging out to a target without a ball there everything seems to fall in line. My only problem is this is something I constantly fight with and always come back to. It's like when I am playing good I'll finish a round and try toΒ  reason in my head why I was able to hit the ball well. This leads me to focusing on my grip, pivot, ball positionΒ etc., which in turn causes me to start hitting at the ball,Β instead of just swinging in a natural balanced fashion.Β 

Β 

I was shooting in the mid 80's for probably three solid weeks or so, but the last couple rounds I've been lucky to stay below 95. Just wondering it anyone else struggles with this type of scenario and if so how you can quickly get back on track. The obvious answer seems to be don'tΒ overthink in between rounds, but I'm not sure how I can improve overall without doing that. It's hard for me to turn off the engineer brain and stop analyzing thingsΒ πŸ€“.

Β 

Β 

Trying out a drill from 5sk key #2 to swingΒ more in balance. I like this drill a lot, makes weight shift feel automatic.Β 
Β 

Β 

• Thumbs Up 1

Β 

• 1 month later...
On 7/11/2020 at 5:52 PM, iacas said:

Rather than worrying about cupping at the top or anything like that, how much do you feel you're using your pelvis, core, ass, hips, legs… to hit the ball on the downswing?

Any tips to help with this? I’ve been trying to work on keeping more knee flex in my backswing. Setting up in a more β€œbow legged” stance seems to help. My consistency is still pretty bad I can swing from 85 to 110 between days. Beginning to think my swing just relies too much on timing.Β 

Β 

• Administrator

I mean, it's back to July, so would you mind getting some new video in slow mo from good angles? And sharing a bit of what you're currently seeing on the course?

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

36 minutes ago, iacas said:

I mean, it's back to July, so would you mind getting some new video in slow mo from good angles? And sharing a bit of what you're currently seeing on the course?

Yes I will get new videos tomorrow! Putting is good. Started chipping with the an open stance and ball off back foot which is working really well for me. Irons are either okay or fat/ thin, my distances seem lower than usual. Driver has went from a straight/ fade to banana slicing or pulls,Β this has been my biggest issue recently.Β 

Β 

• 2 months later...

Hey guys just an update... I bought a 4 pack of lessons from a local pro and I have been through 3 at this point. My final lesson is tomorrow. The first lesson focused on fixing my severe out to in path, which was easy enough to fix with a basket drill. However my somewhat predictable cut has turned into hooks, blocks, bad contact etc. The last two lessons have been focused on getting rid of reverse pivot moves and sliding in the downswing. I’m having a really hard time losing the slide on the downswing. My coach hasn’t really given me a drill on that other than feet together; any ideas on a good one?Β Anyways here is how the swing is looking now!Β 

note: I’m not sure why my videos will no longer embed when I paste the link?Β 

Edited by iacas
embedded videos

Β 

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Double_AA said:

note: I’m not sure why my videos will no longer embed when I paste the link?Β 

Because you pasted formatted (styled)Β text.

https://thesandtrap.com/how-to/embed-videos/

image.png

Do you have any slow-motion video of your swing?

You're working on things, and changing things. I recommend making some shorter swings and feel an almost punch shot follow-through focusing on controlling your start lines, and lengthen it out as you have success. If you don't have much success, go a bit shorter.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

Did some practice today with the feet together drill and punch shots as recommended by @iacas. I can see that I’m sliding less but to be honest the most prominent feel that I got from both drills was having a good wrist hinge. It feels like I’ve regained a lot of the effortless speed back. I still focused on starting these balls to the right of my target;Β I was hitting in a net so who knows where they were heading,Β but man they were solid. Hopefully I’m on the right track!Β 
Β 

Β 

• Thumbs Up 1

Β 

I had my last lesson in the set of 4 on Sunday.Β 

Prior to the lesson I had began moving back toward solid contact by mostly focusing on keeping my elbows close at address and maintaining that tighter triangle. This has also reduced the severity of my blocks and hooks when they pop up. Anyways my instructor seemed to be pretty happy with where I was at during the last lesson, he said that I was one of his most "on plane" students that he has. He said I was still lunging my upper body forward a bit but not enough to force me to flip. Additionally, he noticed that I was rushing the club back so fast that it began to push my upper body toward the target leading to instability. During the lesson we focused on slowing the takeaway andΒ backswing down, which led to much better shots. He said that my biggest issue appears to be tempo and that's why I am so apt to loseΒ my swing.Β 

I downloaded the "Tour Tempo" app to try out; I'm not seeing much new info about using it but I'll give it a shot.

I think the swing changes that we managed to make in 4 lessons (4 weeks) are impressive, and I think I will purchase more with the instructor at the beginning of the next season:

• Lesson #1
    • Swing path fixed using basket drill
      • Starting ball to the right and without much manipulation, began to draw it back.
    • This was pretty big for me I've tried a million things to fix my slice to no avail.
  • Lesson #2
    • I quickly moved into blocks, hooks, terrible contact.
    • Focused on setting up with more tilt away from target, turning left shoulder more toward my right knee in backswing, butt toward target
  • Lesson #3
    • Noticed lunging and flipping
    • Focused on hitting an impact bag to get hands ahead of the club
    • Drills with feet together to get back in balance and stop the flip
      • Additionally Iacas recommended trying short punch shots
    • This all began to work when I remembered to keep my elbows tighter together - contact improved drastically.Β 
  • Lesson #4
    • Contact was pretty good but not great, same with shot shape.
    • Focused on getting in tempo and improving stability by slowing down backswing.
      • Back to hitting compressed draws.

I have attached the last swing video that the instructor took, which unfortunately isn't slow motion and starts late lol.

Β 

Β 

Β 

• 3 weeks later...

Here’s how the swing is looking currently. Driver is going great I’m hitting it pretty straight and around 260-290 or so. Still really suffering with consistent contact on my irons. My shots are toward the toe as well. My backswing almost looks out of sequence to me like my hands get up too slow? Not sure what’s up.Β 
Β 

Β 

Β 

I’m going to try hitting balls while restricting hip turn in the backswing tomorrow. It looks like I am rotating them way too far at the top of my backswing. I think it will help my sequence coming back down.Β 

Β 

• Administrator
19 minutes ago, Double_AA said:

I’m going to try hitting balls while restricting hip turn in the backswing tomorrow. It looks like I am rotating them way too far at the top of my backswing. I think it will help my sequence coming back down.Β 

I wouldn’t do that.

What problem(s) are you trying to solve right now?

• Like 1

Just now, iacas said:

I wouldn’t do that.

What problem(s) are you trying to solve right now?

Trying to keep solid contact. Sequence just feels weird.Β 
I've been working on hitting a lot of punch shots. Also trying to slow down on full swings but that seems to make things worse lol. I’m not sure why my shots are off the toe.Β 

Β 

10 hours ago, Double_AA said:

Trying to keep solid contact. Sequence just feels weird.Β 
I've been working on hitting a lot of punch shots. Also trying to slow down on full swings but that seems to make things worse lol. I’m not sure why my shots are off the toe.Β 

Try to film a down the line shot.

• Like 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel,Β Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Been working on takeaway recently since that’s about all I can do with the onset of snow πŸ‘ŽπŸ». I think I may have stumbled on something. Look at the video from 7/4/20, this is when I was hitting the ball the best all year.Β Β 
Next look at this video from 8/20/20.Β 
It looks like the worse swing is happening when my face is too closed down at parallel. I have a few other videos that I can see this in but they aren’t in slow motion. Thoughts? Wondering if I should practice having the toe more up at first parallelΒ 
Β 

Β 

Β 

11 hours ago, Double_AA said:

Been working on takeaway recently since that’s about all I can do with the onset of snow πŸ‘ŽπŸ». I think I may have stumbled on something. Look at the video from 7/4/20, this is when I was hitting the ball the best all year.Β Β 
Next look at this video from 8/20/20.Β 
It looks like the worse swing is happening when my face is too closed down at parallel. I have a few other videos that I can see this in but they aren’t in slow motion. Thoughts? Wondering if I should practice having the toe more up at first parallelΒ 
Β 

Β 

You are a bit over the top in the downswing at A6. Review the COVID drills in the first 5 videos. This is the time of year to fix things.

Β 

Scott

Titleist, Edel,Β Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

You are a bit over the top in the downswing at A6. Review the COVID drills in the first 5 videos. This is the time of year to fix things.

Β 

Nice! I didn’t see these.Β 
thanks!

Β