IGNORED

Does Anyone Grip a Putter Like I Do? (Variation of Reverse Overlap)

butchammon
Note: This thread is 1718 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I just made a quick You Tube video, showing how I grip my old, ancient, Odyssey DF-550 blade putter.  I wonder how common this style of grip pattern is?

:cobra: --- older model 454 Comp, 10.5° face, reg shaft.
:ping: --- old, classic set of i3+ irons, 3W, 5W, 21° Hybrid, etc...
:odyssey:--- an old DF550 blade putter that I just can't part with!
:titleist: --- NXT Tour, DT Tru Soft, and a few prized Pro-V1's 

• iacas changed the title to Does Anyone Grip a Putter Like I Do? (Variation of Reverse Overlap)

I don't think about my putter grip. But I think my grip is actually pretty similar. I sure I don't point that left index finger, however. 

• Like 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks...  I don't know why I rest my left hand index finger over the right fingers, but, I just do...  Like I mentioned in the video, I've been doing that putter grip for probably 30 years, and it works for me.

:cobra: --- older model 454 Comp, 10.5° face, reg shaft.
:ping: --- old, classic set of i3+ irons, 3W, 5W, 21° Hybrid, etc...
:odyssey:--- an old DF550 blade putter that I just can't part with!
:titleist: --- NXT Tour, DT Tru Soft, and a few prized Pro-V1's 

I try many many different varations of grips. Just about as many as I have putters which is probably around 15 or so. I love putting and probably spend 75% of my practice there. Putting is not a part of golf. It is a different sport alltogether. You can be having a bad round of golf, but if you are putting good it possibly can save your round. But if you are putting badly enough, and can't get the ball into the hole your round will suffer. You do not have to be able to bust the ball 275 yards down the fairway to be a good putter. Or be able to hit your approach shots to within 15 foot of the hole to be a good putter. Practicing putting, and I do mean practice good basics, makes you a good putter.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, golfer2b2000 said:

I try many many different varations of grips. Just about as many as I have putters which is probably around 15 or so. I love putting and probably spend 75% of my practice there. Putting is not a part of golf. It is a different sport alltogether. You can be having a bad round of golf, but if you are putting good it possibly can save your round. But if you are putting badly enough, and can't get the ball into the hole your round will suffer. You do not have to be able to bust the ball 275 yards down the fairway to be a good putter. Or be able to hit your approach shots to within 15 foot of the hole to be a good putter. Practicing putting, and I do mean practice good basics, makes you a good putter.

Yeah, I too practice my putting alot, but also in conjunction with shorter pitches, chipping, and some flop shots. Those four shots combined help me make up strokes I lost back down 1he fairway some where. 

I have made that part of my practice, a game in itself. A game where I. want to average less than three strokes per sequence. 

As for my putting grip, it's essentially the same as the grip I use on all my other clubs. It squares up the putter face at impact to roll the ball on my chosen line, which is all I need my grip to do. . I only use one grip in my golf game, except when I need to try and pull off some sort of non ordinary shot.  

• Like 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I do't know what I was thinking one day when i was looking at putters at my favorite golf store. I picked up one and gripped it with a reverse overlap, but at the same time overlapped my right hand little finger on my left hand middle finger. Strange as it sounds, it immediately felt comfortable.

Sometimes on the practice green, I try it, but I haven't gone to it full time. I do feel like the hands work together better though. I go to it if my putting is bad some days when I'm using my usual reverse overlap.

• Like 1

I've had a good day if I don't fall out of the cart...

Note: This thread is 1718 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!