IGNORED

Abandoned Driver and Lowered My Scores

Note: This thread is 1718 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 hour ago, Dresilved said:

My point is, when you get to the low-mid 80s, the transition, from being a +12/13 to single digits over par is tight, you need to find something that gives you an edge, for me (currently) the 3W puts me in possible GIR position more times than with a driver. Ive gone from an average 8/9 GIRs in a round to more like 12/13 on average. Thats 4 more chances at birdie and 4 less scrambles for par. That for me is the difference between +12 and +8

To continue what you are saying, if you want to take the next step and get down to a lower single digit handicap you have to be able to hit the driver. Distance is a HUGE advantage. I would take a wedge out of the rough over a 7 iron in the fairway almost every time.

Basically you have what LSW calls a glaring weakness. I would urge you not to give up on the driver, but to learn how to hit it. Start with getting fit properly. Hitting the 3-wood is merely a band-aid, you'll eventually plateau and won't improve anymore.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 minutes ago, NM Golf said:

To continue what you are saying, if you want to take the next step and get down to a lower single digit handicap you have to be able to hit the driver. Distance is a HUGE advantage. I would take a wedge out of the rough over a 7 iron in the fairway almost every time.

Basically you have what LSW calls a glaring weakness. I would urge you not to give up on the driver, but to learn how to hit it. Start with getting fit properly. Hitting the 3-wood is merely a band-aid, you'll eventually plateau and won't improve anymore.

There is no chance I will give up on the driver. The 3 wood is not a band-aid, it is a platform, that's giving me the opportunity to continue to dial in my irons. At some point I will redress the driver, but for now, I don't need it. One thing at a time

57 minutes ago, Dresilved said:

You think 240 with a 3W is tour distance? 140 with a PW, really?  

240 3 wood no but 140 pw is about right for a lot of your pros. Not everyone is Brooks Koepka

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

12 minutes ago, Nail said:

240 3 wood no but 140 pw is about right for a lot of your pros. Not everyone is Brooks Koepka

I think my distance for irons and wedges is above average. And to be fair when I quoted 140 I was rounding up according to back of green measurements. Around June of this year I was beginning to overshoot greens quite a lot, on all irons and wedges, so I had to start talking measurements to the back, especially when the pin is back. 140 is definitely the cutoff point for a 9, A well struck 9 will definitely overshoot, and I'm not good at knocking clubs down, it feels clumsy to me, so a PW becomes the club for anything under 140 down to around 128. Thats just my way of thinking when I think of club distances. 

• Like 1

Note: This thread is 1718 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!