IGNORED

Swingweight

Note: This thread is 1707 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have a set of p730 irons and a set of three vokey wedges. They all have the same dynamic gold tour issue xstiff shafts. The feel of the head weight of the wedges during the swing is much higher than the rest of the irons and it throws my swing off unless I take several practice swings. Should I go with a lighter shaft in the p730s to make the heads feel heavier? I’d like all the clubs to feel the same.

Edited by e6892345

Going lighter in the shaft will not necessarily make the swing weight increase. In fact, in most cases it will drop the swing weight even more compared to the Vokeys. The amount varies by the balance point and weight of the shaft. How much heavier are the wedges? In general you will find a slope in SW progression whereby the wedges are the heaviest.

You could try some lead tape if it's just a small change you are looking for, although many would argue you are more tricking the swing weight scale than actually changing the weight distribution. Other option would be to bore out some weight ports in the back of the Vokeys or down the hosel further. That's a big pain in the a-- though. Could also just look for some lighter head stock. Titleist will have some that they use for over length club builds.

Unfortunately it's always easier to add weight then take it back.

• Thumbs Up 1

Since I originally posted, I found some info that states that the swingweight of wedges is supposed to increase over the nine iron from gap to lob. Maybe it's something I just need to adjust to but it seems that it would be most logical to have all the irons and wedges be ballanced and weighted the same so that they all feel the same during the swing. Anyone know why the wedges are supposed to be progressively heavier?

27 minutes ago, e6892345 said:

Anyone know why the wedges are supposed to be progressively heavier?

Because you use them more for shorter swings. The extra weight helps you feel the clubhead better.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Informative 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

14 hours ago, e6892345 said:

Wedges definitely do that, so my “problem” is intentional design. I guess I must get used to it.

You will. Also, many of us rarely do a full swing with our wedges and grip down for most shots. That is also why wedge heads are heavier.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Swing weights on Vokey wedges are: Lob and Sand Wedges = D5; Gap and PW = D3.

Cleveland CBX (hollow cavity back wedges) = PW (46) = D2; SW (54 - 60) = D4 

So basically the more loft the heavier the swing weight. Maybe you should try different wedges. Sometimes we make mistakes and buy the wrong ones. If they're throwing off your game you can always sell them and get different ones. I had a couple of Vokeys I couldn't hit worth a damn and sold them.

• Thumbs Up 1

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Note: This thread is 1707 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!