IGNORED

Blue, White, Red, or Some Other Color?

RetiredOldMan
Note: This thread is 1634 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On 10/26/2019 at 9:35 AM, iacas said:

I know what you mean but that's also never really the case, because you can always hit a shorter club to hit to exactly the same area (with more accuracy) than you could from the back tees.

Generally speaking yes when the tee boxes are lined up in a straight line with each other.  When you get on a course where the Architect designs the layout of the hole and each tee box separately then it gets fun.  The tee boxes may be in a semi circle going done either the left or the right side of the fairway thus presenting a totally different strategy in how you attack the hole.  When tee boxes have different elevation changes and different angles of attack and on some holes the forward tees are more challenging then the tips, it's not just hitting a lower club to the same spot it's flat out having to think about what your hitting and where with hazards that present themselves in play or not depending on the tee box location.

A great example of this is Spirit Hollow Golf Course in Burlington, IA.  

- Dean

Driver: PXG GEN3 Proto X Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange
Fairway wood: 5 Wood PXG 0341 GEN2 hzrdus smoke yellow

2 Iron PXG XP Evenflow Blue

3 Utility Iron Srixon 3 20*
Irons:  5 thru PW PXG GEN3 XP Steelfiber 95 -  Wedges: Mizuno T7 48, 52, 56 and 60 Recoil 110 shafts 6
Putter: In search of the Holy Grail Ball: Snell MTBx

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 10/25/2019 at 8:25 PM, DrMJG said:

The two courses I primarily play call the so called women's tees as simply Forward.  Simply a third choice.  

And, at my age and given my somewhat handicapped body, I play the forward tees, regardless of the designation.

Heck, I became aware of a young woman in the foursome I was assigned to join, who played from the Champion tees and out drove everybody, including me at the Forwards and, in the end made the rest of us look like really bad hacks (instead of the mere old hack I consider myself.)

Get rid of any sex reference in how one names the tees.

Simple solution is have 4 or 5 sets and call them by handicap or driving distances

• Like 2

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

16 hours ago, criley4way said:

Simple solution is have 4 or 5 sets and call them by handicap or driving distances

What is the point of having different tees and handicaps? I understand that people need to enjoy the game and not be discouraged, but what is this thing about getting strokes AND an distance advantage? This is why I have a gripe about threads on this site where people talking about breaking 80 or being a 70s shooter or strategies to break 90. The guy who thinks he's an 80s shooter might not be able to break 100 off the same tees as a low marker. It doesn't make sense to lower the handicap of the low marker and move him closer to the hole. Why do the opposite? If i can only drive it 180m, why would I expect to be able to hit anything other than short holes in regulation?

If a par 4 is reachable for a guy who hits it 280 but not someone who hits it 200, the handicap will account for the shorter hitter with a nett par as he'll get a shot on the hole.

Since when is handicap strokes on a hole PLUS the advantage of shorter distance?

If you were playing a match against someone and were giving him 18 shots, would you be setting him up to be able to make a mess of every hole and still halve you on?

I understand your point, but my thinking is that greens are hit in regulation when you can reach them, not because the tees are so far forward it becomes a pitch and putt course and every hole is reachable.

If you are  a recreational player who is not competing, maybe just play the game and forget about handicaps unless everyone is off the same tees.

Note: This thread is 1634 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!