IGNORED

NCGA Giving Players 95% of their Course Handicap

Sean_D
Note: This thread is 1534 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I live in Northern California and our competitive calendar was released yesterday. As I was viewing the events in which I want to participate, I noticed the USGA is recommending golfers receive 95% of their course handicap for competition. Is this to compensate for the loss of the .96 multiplier in the index calculation. or for some other reason? When competing in these events last year, we received 100% of our course handicap.It seems odd to me that we get a new index/course handicap calculation, and then the USGA back-doors the old calculation.

I have linked the tournament calendar for those who may be interested. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Presumably, these recommendations are based on the vast number of scores collected over the past decade or more.  The recommendations are in Appendix C of the Rules of Handicapping.  I don't remember seeing a discussion of the reasons behind this particular change.

• Upvote 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

• iacas changed the title to NCGA Giving Players 95% of their Course Handicap
  • Administrator

Most likely it's to help even out the fields, because it's always easier for a higher handicapper to shoot a lower net score than a lower handicapper.

That said… 95% isn't much. A stroke for those above 10 and until you get to 31… still just a stroke.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Thank you @Sean_D and @DaveP043.  I was not aware of the new USGA recommendation.  As handicap chairman I need that be aware of this.  

We flight our competitions so I am hesitant to apply this additional adjustment.  Our B Flight might have almost 30 guys with course handicaps of 8 to 12.  I see no reason to automatically cut the 10-12 guys a stroke.  Some may deserve it but others won't.  Something to ponder during the off season.

Brian Kuehn

3 hours ago, bkuehn1952 said:

Thank you @Sean_D and @DaveP043.  I was not aware of the new USGA recommendation.  As handicap chairman I need that be aware of this.  

We flight our competitions so I am hesitant to apply this additional adjustment.  Our B Flight might have almost 30 guys with course handicaps of 8 to 12.  I see no reason to automatically cut the 10-12 guys a stroke.  Some may deserve it but others won't.  Something to ponder during the off season.

If you read the appendix, they suggest that for fields of 30 players or less, no reduction is required.  That might apply to any individual flight.

• Upvote 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Thanks for the replies, guys. Course handicaps are what they are, and I don't get upset over gaining/losing a stroke or two (or however many). It just seems curious to me that the USGA was instrumental and influential in the WHS and yet their recommendations look a lot like the old USGA calculation. That being said, your responses make sense and shed light on the situation.

In reality, as long as everyone in the field/flight are playing under the same rules, it is a fair competition and the rest is up to the competitor. 

23 hours ago, Sean_D said:

I have linked the tournament calendar for those who may be interested. 

Why not contact the Northern California Golf Association

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to contact us in the Rules & Competitions Department at 831-625-4653.

Your association runs a season long series, much different than Amateur Events in the STL area.
We have the golf channel am tour locally,
but I wish had an opportunity to play in local events with a chance to play Poppy Hills in the finals. 🙂

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

(edited)
On 1/15/2020 at 8:52 AM, Club Rat said:

Why not contact the Northern California Golf Association

In my experience they are notoriously bad at answering/returning email.

Edited by Sean_D

Note: This thread is 1534 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!